Advertising a Niche game to those outside the Niche.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Benny Jackdaw, May 28, 2018.

1. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I'm having a hard time getting my game Earthquake Warriors out there in the open. I advertised it here, on FA, even on several groups in DA, but have generated almost no interest. Mostly, I've been advertising it TO people inside said niche, and even THEY don't seem interested. One of my friends mentioned once that people who like fatfurs tend to prefer huge, deformed blobbish types or super exageration and lots of details to what I usually do. It's possible: I try to design my characters to appeal to that niche, but also to not turn off others. ...But I end up appealing to neither. :(

The thing about Earthquake Warriors is this: While it has a theme, there's more to it than just a theme. I also wanted to add unique features to the game that made it stand out, like saving hostages in battle. At the same time, when I started, the game had a basic story, but with the latest demo I tried to make the villains and story deeper and more meaningful, even going as far as to making one of its bosses optional with a multiple choice question that reflects the opinion of the player rather than of the characters.

How do I advertise other aspects of the game efficiently so that people can see it more as just a game with a theme and try it out?

2. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Benny Jackdaw Well, I usually DON'T call focus to any one particular feature or design- heck, my first RPG, Downfall FES, did exceptionally well on RPG Maker Fes Player with little-to-no advertisement at all. I started with just my friends on Miiverse (back when it was around), and they went to tell their friends and their friends told their friends, etc. Once someone had made an article on Nintendo Pipeline listing Fes's good games (a list where Downfall FES was listed near the top of), the popularity of the game in terms of ratings on the Fes server just exploded. With that said, trying to do a remake of it, I have a huge expectation to live up to now.

Just a story where a game can succeed even with the littlest advertisement possible by word of mouth only- at the end of the day, make it the way YOU want it, not the way others want it. At the end of the day, people will enjoy sheer originality over niche appeal. If anything, making a game just to appeal to someone or a group of people is destined for failure and death.

Heck, Downfall FES had almost nothing special going for it- it was pretty much a result of just a random idea I had one day in the shower of "what if Fallout/BioShock was a family friendly RPG rather than a M shooter/survival game?". I told the idea to a very close friend, and it rolled from there.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    it is sad but true that probably the majority of games made do not generate a lot of interest beyond family and friends.

In addition, your game is still in development. Very few games generate much of a following until they are finished. That is because we have seen so many projects that get abandoned that it is difficult to get enthusiastic until we see something fairly firmly on the way to completion. It is also because you don't yet have much to build a marketing strategy around. It was only last week that you put up a demo that didn't finish with just the first boss.

On a different note, I'm not sure that this is the best forum for this discussion, as 'General Discussion' is specifically not for feedback on individual projects. If the conversation broadens out into a more general one about marketing a game, then it would then fit here.

4. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Well I DID make it this far after having to remake the entire game from scratch once, that has to count for something. Right now I'm taking a short break from it, but I do plan on resuming the project eventually.