Advertising via Twitter

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by Biestmann, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Biestmann

Biestmann Heaven's Height Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey, guys!

As of late, I have been wondering about ways to build more excitement for my game prior to release. Twitter naturally comes to mind. However, I have no clue how to go about it!

Let us approach this assuming I have literally no idea whatsoever. What are all the things for me to consider? What tags should I use, which avoid? How much info should I really give? Anyone have some experience doing this and is willing to share? It'd be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Biestmann

Thothdan, Verdelite and Marquise* like this.
  2. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    #gamedev #indiedev #indiedevhour are all wonderful tags to use. Start using social media as soon as you've got some screenshots to show and build a following! Follow others as well.

Thothdan, Canini, woootbm and 8 others like this.
  3. RetroExcellent

RetroExcellent Pixelated Avatar of Chaos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wise as ever Celianna! I was actually wondering on this myself, it's very good advice.

Biestmann likes this.
  4. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Don't just limit yourself to Twitter, there's various Facebook groups, Instagram uses about the same hashtags as Twitter, and ugh tumblr.

Biestmann likes this.
  5. Golden Unicorn Gaming

Golden Unicorn Gaming Savior of Astoria Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    also #retrogaming, #pixelart #rpg #jrpg

#screenshotsaturday is really good and also tag the popular day events like
    #sundaymorning, #mondaymotivation, etc

Canini and Biestmann like this.
  6. JazzGotBlues

JazzGotBlues Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sharing it in communities still works the best in my experience.
    But expanding your audience always works! If you are really proud of your game even share it with rl friends and family, as they are the most likely to share it themselfs again.

Biestmann likes this.
  7. FluffexStudios

FluffexStudios Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You can try the following tags in addition to the tags posted above: #PCGaming #indiegames #rpgmaker #gaming #gamer, post on twitter. You can also add tag for genre as well depend on your game such as #horror #puzzles #mystery #adventure. You don't need to post too much, a picture should suffice. I also recommend posting twice/three times a week to gain followers. Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Canini and Biestmann like this.
  8. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I wonder if the tag #RpgMaker will attract more people than it scares away? Assuming it’s not blatantly obvious your game is a RPG maker game from just looking at it.

Marquise* and Biestmann like this.
  9. Biestmann

Biestmann Heaven's Height Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone! I'll be trying to get into the habit after work starting today!

10. Owltears

Owltears Working on Honey Moon, about 20% done Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I use Tumblr and Twitter. They both are pretty good for trying to get your game out with the right tags, and gaining followers/views is easier with the right tags. I tend to post say a game title as it's own tag.

#indydev #indygame #indy #indie #indiegame #gamedev #indygamedev #gamedev

#{USERNAME}-Note this works best with tumblr

#WIP #wip #wipwednesday #screenshotsaturday #{GAMETITLE}WIP #preview #{GAMENAME}preview #update #updates #{GAMETITLE}update #{GAMETITLE}updates

If it's a drawn picture, either digital or hand drawn: #sketch #doodle #drawing #digital #traditional #ink/paint{MEDIUMNAME} #CG #pixel #concept #{GAMETITLE}concept #conceptart #art
    I also recommend that if you doodle add stuff like what's inthe doodle too~
    #horror #comedy #romance #rpg #RPG #adventure #fantasy #modern #darkfantasy #sci-fi #medieval #spooky #spoopy #puzzles #puzzle #easy #hard #mystery #murdermystery #fighting #visualnovel #vn #3D

I think some people might not want to, but I like adding the game engine or why it was made for such such as:
    #RPGmaker #RPGアツマール #RPGACE #RPGMAKERVX #RPGMAKERVXACE #unity ....etc~
    #contest #rpgcontest #{X}contest #{CONTESTNAME} {#CONTESTNAMEENTRY}entry

I recommend looking up some of the tags and find what others are tagging with their stuff! I know Twitter has a couple of bots that will reblog anything with X tag, which I highly recommend you use if you find the right bot/tag combo, it will reblog it or follow you allowing for people to see your work!

These are the ones I thought off the top of my head, there's more out there, not including different languages~! :XP1C:

11. RetroExcellent

RetroExcellent Pixelated Avatar of Chaos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you all have twitters, let me know your tag, I'll follow you!

Owltears and Biestmann like this.
  12. woootbm

woootbm Super Sand Legend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh. I made a twitter for my game but had no idea what to do with it. I probably should have done this ^_^;;;;

13. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    This is great info!
    How many pictures/how much text should one post in one go? How many times a day/month?

14. Freank

Freank Veteran Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    as said Golden U. G. #screenshotsaturday is very good. Try to upload videos. Twitter is boosting them.

Canini likes this.
  15. FluffexStudios

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Usually every other day is good and at least once a week to show your twitter is active. Also post video, article, news or picture usually will net you a decent chunk of viewers.

Canini likes this.
  16. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Should one get a back-up log of images, videos and such before starting a official twitter account for the game? Are people interested in reading developer logs (really short ones for twitter, longer for tumblr) or should I strictly keep it to picture and vide descriptions?

17. FluffexStudios

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You should post as you go, the whole point is to gather a group of followers and keep them fed with teasers so they get hyped for your game. The below are my suggestions of what you can post:

- Artwork teasers, like a sketch or an image of a character, location, item, picture of the map, image of GUI, etc...
    - Video of your map, game world, battle system, character interaction, and trailer (it doesn't have to be long, maybe 1 min)
    - Developer blogs (your thought on game development, the challenges of making video games, tips you can give to others making video games, RPG maker tutorials)
    - Link any other post you made from tumblr, reddit, facebook, or other social media website that you use to post about your games.
    - Additionally, for twitter, sometimes it'll be nice to post something related to gaming world that is not about your game (i.e. epic store vs. steam), that will gather people to your twitter page and some will stay to see further posts that you made about your games.

Also, posting often (every other day or every 3 days) will help in bringing more fan base and remember to use the tags suggested above.

Good luck!

Canini likes this.