Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello all,
My game is finally done and I'm ready to upload it to itch.io. One small issue. After deploying it and even excluding Unused Files, the game's size is over 1GB, which is the limit for Itch.io files. Any advice on how I can shrink this down or get around this annoying size limit?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
a lot of picture files can be recompressed with a higher compression for smaller size at a slight penalty to quality.

you even have a folder with such files in your RMMV program folder, exactly to allow you to decide whether you want the larger pictures with higher quality, or a smaller filesize.

I suggest replacing the default files with that batch and if the project is still too large to go around your added pictures and recompress them similarly.
If that are many files I suggest looking for an image program that supports batch conversion.

FrigidGaze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
In addition to making sure everything is compressed as best it can be without losing too much quality, you actually can get your filesize cap increased if you contact itch.io's support directly and explain your situation. They evaluate things on a case by case basis but generally they keep the initial filesize limit low just to keep people from throwing their first unreal engine 4 projects on there with massively bloated filesizes.

Also, if you upload your game through their butler tool, there filesize limit is also increased by default on there. https://itch.io/board/24575/butler

theweirdnerd

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In addition to making sure everything is compressed as best it can be without losing too much quality, you actually can get your filesize cap increased if you contact itch.io's support directly and explain your situation. They evaluate things on a case by case basis but generally they keep the initial filesize limit low just to keep people from throwing their first unreal engine 4 projects on there with massively bloated filesizes.

Also, if you upload your game through their butler tool, there filesize limit is also increased by default on there. https://itch.io/board/24575/butler
I sent an email to support asking for a 100MB increase. For Butler, do the uploaded games appear on Itch.io normally?
Like if I were to upload Fumo Kart Racing on Butler, can people access it through the normal Itch.io front page?

FrigidGaze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I sent an email to support asking for a 100MB increase. For Butler, do the uploaded games appear on Itch.io normally?
Like if I were to upload Fumo Kart Racing on Butler, can people access it through the normal Itch.io front page?
I don't have as much experience with Butler myself admittedly, but from what I understand it's just an alternative means of uploading your project via a command line, and once it's uploaded to a relevant project page, you'd still be able to manage the project page on the webpage in the usual way. There's just a slightly higher learning curve is all.

KawaiiKid

Local Weeb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would definitely use butler to upload to itch. It's pretty easy to use, and once you are done setting it up all you have to do put your files into a folder, and copy paste your upload txt to CMD and it automatically updates your build. If you are serious about making more than 1 build ever on itch, it's the only way to go.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I just got all of my wisdom teeth out today, thankfully I have the rest of the week off.
Man I am learning I am bad at naming armor lmao.
The game's opening, now fully polished! :LZScheeze:

Aaand, here's me working on it in today's "Game Making Every Day" video! :LZSooo:

Hello! Can anyone help me? I followed making cooking tutorial for RPG Maker MV. But for some reason buff state that food gives doesn't work in overworld. It disappears. What am I supposed to do?
A shotgun is not a rifle. Huh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YoBa