Advice or encouragment-pixel art noob

Keiyu

Keiyu Flanmurai
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi ^^ I don't usually post on forums, so I hope this is the right place to post this. Anyhoo. Trying my hand at pixel art. I'm just eyeing it, what looks good you know. I hate youtube tutorials (lol I know, it's silly.. but I also don't hv good internet). Winging it so I know I'm aware I'm making plenty of mistakes... Pillowing is one I'm aware of (I don't know how to NOT ;v;) Esp on my ppl.. and pixel hair omg is that hard. On my sprite, I just chose a VERY simple shape (think pokemon heroine) and I know I need to work on my sprite a lot more in general. More at practice, not perfection, level. Get movement right first n stuff. And everything else needs work too.. but.. Am I kinda headin in the right direction? I havent done art in a looong time cuz... life.. yeah. When things are hard a body don't feel very creative ^^; Anyhoo I'm trying.. Any ideas on how to improve? I like picture tutorials.. again, as youtube is hard for me to access. Any encouragement would be awesome too! (I'm kinda creatively fragile rn lol)

Thanks!

(I edited it with actual screenshot pics.. and if anyone notices.. yes, the big bed is just the lil one stretched out.. Heeh heeh i got lazy.)

Attachments

• 0C270C3A-6E15-4D4C-AE41-DEBC93D97EB0.jpeg
    0C270C3A-6E15-4D4C-AE41-DEBC93D97EB0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • A225193E-E937-4CBF-ACDD-1EC57B890704.jpeg
    A225193E-E937-4CBF-ACDD-1EC57B890704.jpeg
    945.3 KB · Views: 20
  • CED6739E-9E13-4D0D-9915-C5712AD28A6C.jpeg
    CED6739E-9E13-4D0D-9915-C5712AD28A6C.jpeg
    1,018.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 238A008F-807F-431D-A8CA-7C426F6AC23D.jpeg
    238A008F-807F-431D-A8CA-7C426F6AC23D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:

BubblegumPatty

Goofy goober
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well for starters, perhaps use the computer screenshot feature? It's a little hard to see the photos.

as for art advice... The pixels look pretty good! The only glaring flaw I can see is the the perspective on the girl is strange. Her head is full profile side view while her body is 3/4ths facing forward. Assuming it is her side view sprite, her body needs to be a bit more in profile to match her head.
All the other sprite work looks nice! I love the way the trees and flowers look.

Keiyu

Keiyu Flanmurai
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well for starters, perhaps use the computer screenshot feature? It's a little hard to see the photos.

as for art advice... The pixels look pretty good! The only glaring flaw I can see is the the perspective on the girl is strange. Her head is full profile side view while her body is 3/4ths facing forward. Assuming it is her side view sprite, her body needs to be a bit more in profile to match her head.
All the other sprite work looks nice! I love the way the trees and flowers look.
Haha.. My friend said the same thing for her side view.. I made it kinda 3/4s on purpose. Maybe cuz its a tall, thin, anime-ish sprite.. I think if I had a full side only view she'd look like a zipper. but maybe I'll twiddle with it ^^ And thank you.. fairly happy with my trees n fwowers ^^ I can't shade the right side of the trees TOO much cuz I'm working with a limited pallete.. And yeah.. Was gonna do screenshots.. but didnt know if anybody might try to steal... its not great but it is my stuff lol... but yeah ^^ I'll do that next time :)

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Pixel artist here!

I think your spritework is pretty darn good! I don't know how much pixel art you do, if it's only items/furniture/character sprites, or whatever variety you do....but I can tell you one thing you can totally do is "break the grid" a little more.

Also, pleaaase visit THIS site:
So You Wanna Be A Pixel Artist?

This site is an AMAZING, simple guide for smaller and simpler techniques and basics for pixel art.

When I said earlier to "break the grid" the link above has a section about that. Please read through it!

Keiyu

Keiyu Flanmurai
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Pixel artist here!

I think your spritework is pretty darn good! I don't know how much pixel art you do, if it's only items/furniture/character sprites, or whatever variety you do....but I can tell you one thing you can totally do is "break the grid" a little more.

Also, pleaaase visit THIS site:
So You Wanna Be A Pixel Artist?

This site is an AMAZING, simple guide for smaller and simpler techniques and basics for pixel art.

When I said earlier to "break the grid" the link above has a section about that. Please read through it!
Mm, I will give it a look, yeah :D And so far, just resources for rpg maker.. Even trying my hand at autotiles. I tried making an 96x96 pixel portrait once... it was so awful xD Oh.. I did make a firey, flying pixel roast turkey once that looked pretty good. ..Dang.. what happened to that... Anyway, thanks for the reply!

HB_Games

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's coming out nicely. One thing I can say is to watch out for the contrast between the character and the scenery tiles. Make sure that it's easy for the player to spot the character.

Also, a good resource to study pixel art are the Miniboss tutorials:

They are not videos, so it might be easier to load with your connection.

Hope I could help.
Anyway, good luck with your project!

Keiyu

Keiyu Flanmurai
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Mm, ok.. and how would you accomplish that? Do you mean literal color contrast? I'm using a limited pallete... Um... just.. outline them more, lol? ...put a big ol halo glow around each.. make everyone gods.. even the npcs xD ... lol but really, could you elaborate a bit? And I will check out that site, thank you ^^

Edit: omg.. I tried an outline for the characters and it looked great! So I outlined my tileset objects too.. haha, it really made everything pop. At least for my art style. I thought hard outlines were kind of a no-no in pixel art.. but I guess it depends on your style? Anyway, I added two pics to show off how much better it looks xD In one screenshot she's standing next to old, un-outlined her.. to show the difference ^^
It's coming out nicely. One thing I can say is to watch out for the contrast between the character and the scenery tiles. Make sure that it's easy for the player to spot the character.

Also, a good resource to study pixel art are the Miniboss tutorials:

They are not videos, so it might be easier to load with your connection.

Hope I could help.
Anyway, good luck with your project!

Attachments

• bandicam 2023-06-06 18-52-01-889.jpg
    bandicam 2023-06-06 18-52-01-889.jpg
    859.7 KB · Views: 7
  • bandicam 2023-06-06 19-30-38-165.jpg
    bandicam 2023-06-06 19-30-38-165.jpg
    944.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

HB_Games

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Cool! I believe that this is a step in the right direction for this case.

Another advice that I can give you is to analyse tiles of games with great pixel art. Some of my favorites are Chrono trigger, Seiken densetsu 3 and final fantasy 6. Check values, saturation and hue of the pixels inside the tiles and how each tile relate to each other; how they portray textures with pixels; how they balance the areas with high and low density of details; etc.

Links of spriters resource to check some cool art:

Also, keep in mind that these 3 examples use tiles of 16x16 (I think). VXAce uses tiles of 32x32, so you will have more work.

Well, anyway, hope I could help.

Keiyu

Keiyu Flanmurai
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I have played plenty of retro pixel art games.. One I guess I find myself artistically inspired by is a japanese title called puppet princess of marl kingdom (the first one came to the states as rhapsody: a musical adventure). I loved the bright, colorful pixel art in those titles. I guess I'm trying to say, that I'm really ok with having a bright, colorful pallete.. Even cartoony-ish. Suits my bright personality ;D (coughgaudyandgauchcoughxD).. but yeah. The games you mentioned tend to be more.. mm.. realistically colored? Muted? um.. Grown up? For lack of a better word lol. i did try and keep the saturation down on my palette so as not to, ya know, explode eyeballs lol. Soo.. I'm wondering if it's a matter of preference of colors, saturation and all that, or is there a specific problem? I'm autistic so specifics speak to me lol. Now, TEXTURE is indeed something of a hard thing. For tree bark and grass...etc.. I just.. winged it lol. Obviously on the grass lol. But yeah, I def need help learning texture. i've done art before, but my main focus was just drawing female characters or animals from reference, or other objects.. SO I've frankly very little clue on things with texture.. esp pixel texture ;v; Anyway! I will check out the links.. thank you!
Cool! I believe that this is a step in the right direction for this case.

Another advice that I can give you is to analyse tiles of games with great pixel art. Some of my favorites are Chrono trigger, Seiken densetsu 3 and final fantasy 6. Check values, saturation and hue of the pixels inside the tiles and how each tile relate to each other; how they portray textures with pixels; how they balance the areas with high and low density of details; etc.

Links of spriters resource to check some cool art:

Also, keep in mind that these 3 examples use tiles of 16x16 (I think). VXAce uses tiles of 32x32, so you will have more work.

Well, anyway, hope I could help.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Finally made my first ever paid commission.
I'm so happy (-^_^-)
1695325080966.png
(template by Aërendyll)
Just sorted out all the advent resources... there might be minor changes, but I'd say, I'm done.
Check out the music I've been listening to while animating:
Well, for anyone who cares, Simone has been eating her prescription food for a few weeks and I’m cautiously optimistic it’s helping her quite a bit. She still hasn’t put on any weight but she’s not getting sick every day (has even gone a week between sick days).

IMG_0254.jpeg
Steam acount got hacked and fully taken over now i gotta save up for rpg maker mv again.... :kaoangry:
Anyway heres a screenshot i made before it happend! hope yall like grrrr
image.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KcalbRPG