Aesparia - The Fallen - GAME DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by B.Ultimus, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Alkorri

Alkorri Proofreading Penguin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Sigh. I meant they were edits of.. NVM >_<

2. B.Ultimus

B.Ultimus Drinker of Coffee Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Dalph - Well, TECHNICALLY RTP + Mack tilesets with some photoshop in between.

But couldn't you consider Mack's tileset RTP 2.0? :p

Dalph likes this.
  3. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, the game is like 80% Mack and 20% edited RTP from what I saw.

And yes, the Mack tiles are like upgrades of the RTP, but I'll be honest here...my post was just a pathetic excuse to mock her a bit...ahahah

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
    Susan and B.Ultimus like this.
  4. Alkorri

Alkorri Proofreading Penguin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Brat  :p I'm calling the King on you!

To everyone else reading this: PLAY THIS GAME ;)

B.Ultimus and Dalph like this.
  5. B.Ultimus

First Language:
    English
    You guys are the best, thank you for the kind words.  It keeps me going in this project!

I was going to take a break this week, but I've started to grow uncomfortable not doing anything.  I may just start working on the Aesparia core :)

Tree was fixed, so the game file has been fixed once more.

Alkorri and Dalph like this.
  6. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    All righty, here comes my feedback.

In short - I really enjoyed it. This game is definitely a strong candidate.

The battle system was definitely the highlight of the game for me. Every battle was fun and strategic and every character had plenty of skills, each of which was useful. Many games tend to either start you off with hardly any skills at all or with way too many without providing explanation, but here there's just the perfect amount. I also liked how you could change the runes and hence assign different specialities to your characters, though I kind of think some were a bit more useful than others. Leo's and Garren's I kept as is because theirs seemed incredibly useful. The others I changed a bit around depending on the enemies I encountered, though I always had one of the mages dealing Atk buffs. Never really needed to use Def buffs at all (or Mat buffs), but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Also it's been really great that the buffs would also heal the targeted characters, which kept the battles more fast-paced without the need to use potions and stuff so often. And the boss fights were all great too. Seriously, I'd definitely not change anything in regard to the battles.

Some of the story was a bit hard to get. Not the main conflict, but the background stuff. The game feels more like a chapter of a bigger game than a stand-alone project in itself, and it can be slightly confusing if the player isn't familiar with that bigger project. But that's not too bad since the basics of the plot were clear - kill the mad baron.

Now onto the smaller bits. I liked how you used the smaller text boxes for dialogue. It was something different to the standard ones all RM games use. The title screen is pretty nice too. It's very serene and gets you up and ready for what's to come.

I would second the notion that the music choices are really incredible and the mapping is really great too. The overall atmosphere of each location was great. The beginning really sets the tone nicely, and after that it only keeps building up more and more into a powerful climax.

Just a few minor issues/bugs/suggestions:

- In the intro cutscene where the team is in a pub, as they start walking out, one of the characters clips into another.

- I think the sound of the 'confirm' command is a bit too loud in my opinion. I had to turn the volume down, but then I couldn't enjoy the background music as much.

- I got a script error at one point. It was when I accessed the RPG tutorial from the menu and a list of options came up and I pressed cancel/back.

I haven't used any of the crafting and stuff. Just never felt the need to I guess.

But yeah, overall I've enjoyed playing through this game. I'd definitely recommend it. It took me just under 1 hour and I generally tried looking all over the castle for any chests and treasures. I might've missed a few, but I don't think it should take too long for people to get through it.

B.Ultimus likes this.
  7. B.Ultimus

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the awesome review Masteb2611!  I REALLY appreciate you finding that bug!  It's been patched! :)

8. Thalzon

Thalzon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well, I finished, and it left me wanting more in a good way. The castle felt lived-in, the battles were strategic, and each battle felt like true progress. The tone and mood were executed perfectly, and with so few words I got an excellent grasp of the characters and their motives.

All in all, it's a great entry and shows a lot of love and effort. Good stuff.

B.Ultimus likes this.
  9. B.Ultimus

First Language:
    English
    Thank you! Has anyone else given this a shot?

10. Arkecia

Arkecia Database Queen Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just finished playing through your game and I'd have to pretty much agree with what most others are saying. I came in hoping for better than average turn based battles, and I can say I got just that. The skill pool was just the right size for the game's length, and spamming attack wasn't going to cut it every time, something ppl need to do more of honestly.

The story worked for what's there, but for me it was over just when it started to become more than just a background for the gameplay. I take it you may be continuing the story with a main game? Either way you did a good job of getting the player to want more. Yoshira ended up being my favorite character.

The mapping is much better than most games I've played, and it's actually good to move around in. I really enjoyed the intro sequence with the map panning through the outside map, it was a professional way to start the game imo.

In any case great job Brett; I'm glad you were able to finish in time for the contest.

B.Ultimus likes this.
  11. B.Ultimus

First Language:
    English
    Thank you Arkecia!  I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

12. B.Ultimus

First Language:
    English
    Adding a known bugs list.  This will be updated after the contest.

Known Bugs

Will be fixed after July 30th

• In fights with Daemancers + Guardians, if you kill both Guardians at the same time, the Daemancers will remain invincible.  To avoid this, kill Guardians one at a time.

13. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The thing that mislead me the most about this game was no MP or magic resource management.  Rune points are your resource and you will need to build 1 attack for the second tier ability, 2 for third tier and 4 for third tier.

Scrolls were a great idea.  The cost is abominable.  Scrolls need organization by rune type similar to yanfly's equipment organization in a vertical position if it can be managed.  Having them all as a long list doesn't encourage me to use the system.  I waited till about the second floor to craft anything and then start experimenting.  

This makes set battles more about careful selection, as immunity and misses don't build RP.  A few times as I was learning with the shielding knights this cost me an entire turn of RP on a character.  There is no passive that generates RP.  I would have given this to a healer rune.  There is no ability that drains RP from the enemy or puts a state on that keeps a character from generating RP all together, effectively locking them out of better abilities.  So we have a system of battle that's totally in favor of the player and speed.

Now that that's out of the way, I want to talk about the mapping.  It's very stream lined.  I had no problem getting anywhere or exploring.  There are no random battles, and I could easily back track and get all the bonus floor clear chests without a problem.  

Tybalt's promotion mechanic was the best thing I've seen in any battle oriented RPG.  I was not expecting it, it was intuitive that the promoted unit had a better ability to offer and it made the battle more interesting.  This boss would have done well as the final battle with his extra abilities.  He in fact had more going for him than the scripted final boss.

Garren's leaving the party had no effect on me.  I really wanted to pay him the other half of the money, but I never got the option so I was down to three party members for some dramatic reason to create tension.  It didn't work here, I didn't know who the dead sister was or why the good brother was so placid about it.  At least it showed exposition where the beginning of the game didn't establish much.  It happened so fast I couldn't focus on the characters just the fact I had lost my fourth.

Had Garren been more than a mercenary or had some actual significance outside of his role I'd have felt bad for him leaving.  But the truth is I still don't know who these people are at this point and the mechanics of the game make them feel like paper dolls for customization.

I finally got one's nickname of the sea prince too late, which explains his water based rune and abilities.

Red had little if anything to say till the end, and I still know about as much as her as the lone mercenary Garren.

Leonardo's character came all at once, and so suddenly I didn't have a chance to process more than, "He's his brother?  He's using the bad guy rune?  Fighting again!"

The final battle went well, and it was executed in a manner conductive to story and exposition.  And then I realized from what was happening I was playing an introduction to a much larger story.  But it came at a point where things were already over, so I couldn't relish who these people were and what they were doing outside of get the mad baron.

The game itself felt like it was pushing me through quickly.  I wanna make sure I say it plainly, things move VERY fast.  I commented on other games taking too long over the first hour of game play due to the rules of the contest, but this feels like some areas rush the player.  

The game is so well done it doesn't drag, but there are elements that push you along even faster.   I wanted the satisfaction of examining elements of the castle, possibly triggering a reaction in Leonardo or Yoshira.  Thana was just a wall flower, and I know how that goes from experience.  With her fire and rage abilities you think she would actually act hot headed, but she is the most disciplined one there and passive.

The RP system was an excellent idea.  I believe it can be refined a little further.  I wouldn't use the 0 to 100 display, but use a rune graphic with a counter of 0-4 with a different glowing rune to show the resource building.

Scroll system was good, but need some organization to make it less intimidating to a new player.  Especially a player like me who is squeamish to spend a limited resource.

4/5  I really wanted more story elements, and I feel that was the intention of the developer to make me want more.  But there is enough lacking during the game play and the desire comes later after the game is completed.

Mapping and design were fantastic, but the other elements accelerated play too fast.  

B.Ultimus likes this.
  14. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

[SIZE=10pt]+Nice overall presentation: menus, maps, characters, sound, etc.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]+Nice battle presentation and animations.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]+Gets to the action quickly.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]+Does not care much for story and therefore doesn’t focus on it (this is a good thing, it does not try to put up pretenses and botch those up. I’d rather it skip the fluff if that’s not the focus.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]-Lacks some characterization.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]-Very serious tone. (My own bias).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]-Some of the battle sounds lacked impact and were downright dinky and hilariously weak.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]-Maybe a wee bit repetitive with encounters. Could have had more variety since there were not many and finite.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]To the developer: Good job on overall effort! This isn’t what I’d call a great classic or my favorite game, but I know enough about game making to know this is a solid attempt. Building on this and adding and refining stuff will get you far. You already have a solid gameplay and presentation base to fall on. Add some compelling story and characters and you’re set for your next projects.[/SIZE]

B.Ultimus likes this.
  15. B.Ultimus

First Language:
    English
    I appreciate your inputs!  Already tinkering improvements in the game style for the main game~

16. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Brett is the last hope of the RM community, he was challenged by The Indrah! And he miraculously survived!

Kudos for this man and his courage...although scared, he followed the stream until the end! So he deserves a medal.

He's a warhero RMhero now.

*claps*

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
  17. Silenity

Silenity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Haven't finished yet but the game looks fantastic.

I love your choice in battle system and the music is quite the mood setter.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
  18. Tenchizard

Tenchizard Veteran Veteran

Posting my review here from the other post so you can have them all in an easy place to read:

I must say that visually this game is just astounding. Great atmoshpere, perfect effects, and a neat use of lightning. The music is also great, and overall the presentation is just top notch. Sometimes the people talking on the background while walking seemed a bit buggy (some messages interrupting others) but overall it felt original and good.

Now, about the story in the game... It starts really nice, but midway through it I stopped caring about it: too much information, characters I have had no introduction to, and just too much going on that I don't know about, so I care less :/ The ending is kind of a downer too, without getting into spoilers. It's just a bit... bland.

Finally, getting into the game mechanics... I found combat a bit meh. Even though the idea is nice, I found it a bit lacking: combats are just "use your basic skill and then a powered up one", one time after another. Most of the skills are almost useless (I didnt need a defense up at any any moment, for example). Even if enemy groups have some strategy (I liked the divine guard ones), they are... just too generic. And too many of them. The bosses were very interesting, at least. The final one a bit on the easy side, but nice anyway.

Crafting and scribing is almost useless: there are no real skills needed to complete the game apart of the ones the main characters have so... I got one to buff MAT to everyone and that was it. And I didnt bother changing my equipment either :/

So, in conclusion... A really good game, specially in the graphic and sound aspects. What is seen of the story is too short, and the ending is a bit disappointing, because it's obviously part of something bigger which I'd like to see. But combat needs some work to be more interesting. 

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
  19. B.Ultimus

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!  Chapter 1 is currently in planning/works.  I'll be making a new post about it as well, so keep on following.  Thanks guys! :)

20. Housekeeping

Housekeeping Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just got done with this one.  Here are my thoughts:

-First off, the mapping is pretty gorgeous.  I hate when rtp mapping blows me away because it reminds me of how terrible I am at it.-The battle system itself works pretty well for me.  I like how you paired heals and buffs; this streamlined combat quite a bit.  On the flip side, I feel like there could be more time spent on balancing; all of the battles were quite easy, including the final boss.  Beating the game didn't feel much like an accomplishment, and your work seems to be focused more on gameplay than story, so I'd tool with that some more. 

-Speaking of battles, there needed to be more variety since there were relatively few battles.  Once I solve a battle (like the two guardians/two daemancers configuration), I don't want to have to fight that battle again.  If battles were designed more towards long term character progression, then you could get away with it, but with so few fixed battles and limited stat progression, variety's really a necessity.

-There also wasn't much room for strategy in the battles.  I'd like more gimmicks; I felt like the general was the only one that had a neat gimmick.

-I like the steel chest that appears when completing a floor--this really encouraged exploration for me.  I was a bit disappointed, though, with the contents.  Your crafting system is fine, but options were so limited that I never felt I had to make any trade-offs.

-The steel armor needs more advantages because of the agility loss; the aggregate stat gain is otherwise the same as the cloth gear.

-The characters felt pretty flat to me.  I think this is because you designed your story around creating political intrigue rather than building characters.  I think that political intrigue is a fine plot device, but you need to make sure to develop your characters throughout the game.  Leonardo and his brother, for instance, could have had moments shown through flashbacks during exploration that showed them before they grew apart and/or why they grew apart.  Things like that have inherent weight to players, even if they can't articulate it, because those kinds of moments allow them to empathize with the characters, and empathy allows you to grow an attachment to the characters--and therefore the game.  That human connection was really missing for me here, so when you do provide that bit of intrigue during the ending, I'm not attached to the world enough to want to pursue any sequels.

-The little "walk and talk" dialogue was a mixed bag for me.  I like how you put this more trivial dialogue in the background, but if the dialogue is trivial enough to put in the background, why include it at all?

-The music and art fit the world you created.

-The scrolls were a cool way to tune up your party, but the team was already so well-rounded that I don't feel like I got a lot out of the additional skills.

Overall, this game really looks well put together, but the battles/progression system needed to cook longer and the story was unfortunately forgettable.