RMMV Aeterna's Journey Demo(MV RPG) out now(FIXED error)! will be full game later

Wrathspawn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Edit: I fixed the things Kimo posted in version 4:) updated and added link for it. Sorry the V4.2version that had missing files I was so tired and sleepy so I mistook it for another .rar on my desktop. V4fixed version is there now:)

I am proud to finally present the demo for my first proper attempt at making a game. It's called Aeterna's Journey and I will delve into the details regarding the story, characters and inspiration. It's been in development for a while with some breaks.

Story:

The story focuses on Razula's completion of the ultimate spell called " Revengeance of Ragnarok" which was obtained by Razula by taking forbidden magic from the world's core and fusing it with his blade called ragnarok which he gained an energy vessel from that was sealed off with unbreakable eternium at the world's core so that nobody would stop his scheme. Razula seized to end humanity he no longer felt and had plans to end the world forever but something was preventing the spell from completion. Prior to his creation of this spell he comitted high treason against the Zerzian empire and invaded Zerza city with monstrous armies he pledged allegiance with when he traveled to the world's core. The main character "Aeterna" was in Zerza at the time of the attack and managed to flee by boat but both his comrades were lost. You must travel an adventure with Aeterna and build up enough strength to track down Razula's whereabouts and stop his ultimate spell. You will meet many characters along the way.

Inspiration:

I wanted to create a game that felt abit like classic JRPGS like Breath of Fire, Star Ocean and Golden Sun. I wanted to include characters that were the first proper creations back when I got wacom and photoshop that I wanted to do a tribute to. Enemies, custom backrounds, battle backs(some edits of original), battle sprites, characters, pictures, weapons and some parts of the tilesets I made myself. My brother composed some of the soundtrack.

Gameplay tip:

have enough potions, magic water and dispel herb for the first 2 boss fights and sell rare fossil fragment from the mountain area in Venta city shop so that you have enough dispel herbs and potions for second boss fight. Take the healing abillity in the oasis at shera beach. NOTE: You can press esc in battles and escape so you can avoid getting stuck if you run out of heals etc. NOTE 2: first village Alterca you get 500g for side quest for finding a book and some more gold inside a house that you can buy enough items for. NOTE 3: the moving fire above first village you are supposed to click action button on it so you get the fire magic for battles, then the guards above will move so you can continue.

DOWNLOAD (error fixed :)) (.rar file winrar, winzip)(windows version): https://www.dropbox.com/s/gf8vf3vrpa093ji/Aeterna's Journey Demo V4fixed.rar?dl=1
(mac version of v4 will be added later)

2021-02-14 (2).png2021-02-16 (2).png

Attachments

• 2021-02-21 (11).png
    2021-02-21 (11).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Wrathspawn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the version of the game I was testing worked on my PC even with the plugins and all but this demo version I uploaded there was apparently something wrong I checked the first fight with red rats and the animation when enemy hits character didn't play.Someone also reported an error when showing image file in battle. Damnit I will have to look into it. Sorry :( I thought it was working. EDIT. Fixed now posted updated demo.

Last edited:

DrJones

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I played through the demo and I liked the story and gameplay. The pictures in cutscenes were interesting. I wonder what will come next?

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm about an hour into your game and I wanted to offer some observations.
Think about ending the poison effect at the end of each battle.
There were no reminders about the next objective. (i.e. after getting sword)
I am sure you're aware, but there are several passibility issues with items, the bridge, et al where an "X" not "O" passage should be there.
I know of more, but I wanted to be gentle with my observations. Not everyone is the same in their response.

Wrathspawn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm about an hour into your game and I wanted to offer some observations.
Think about ending the poison effect at the end of each battle.
There were no reminders about the next objective. (i.e. after getting sword)
I am sure you're aware, but there are several passibility issues with items, the bridge, et al where an "X" not "O" passage should be there.
I know of more, but I wanted to be gentle with my observations. Not everyone is the same in their response.

you mean the bridge in the mountain area before the house? I was certain I fixed that or do you mean right before it or? I will fix it and update link. you played V3 of the demo I assume? I fixed the long bridge in the beginning I was certain of it. The first one in map 2?

Last edited:

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The bridge below. Also, because of the path widths you are using, it often appears that the character is walking through the bridge ropes/railings.
Bridge passability 1.png

Wrathspawn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The bridge below. Also, because of the path widths you are using, it often appears that the character is walking through the bridge ropes/railings.
ah I missed a spot xD I put the X the other places along the bridge, sorry xD fixed it now I will widen the bridge in the next build.

Last edited:

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
A game hard glitch found. Froze when talking to guard after defeating "boss" in underground area.
Venta-Game freeze when talk to guard after killing Mutant Crocush.png

Can walk up the left railing of stairs and out to the left side in this spot. Also, cannot talk to innkeeper from any direction except across the table graphic.
Venta Inn passability_also left railing issues.png

I would suggest you consider egress points of buildings to be better indicated. And you might want to consider transferring character 1 extra space inside/outside buildings so when leaving an extra step is not required for ingress/egress (i.e. only have to turn around and go one step to exit). Does that make sense the way I explained it?

Are your NPC's going to have additional text assigned at a later date? Will characters have a "follow-up" conversation after certain tasks have been accomplished?

I'll keep playing and let you know what I find tomorrow.

Wrathspawn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A game hard glitch found. Froze when talking to guard after defeating "boss" in underground area.

Can walk up the left railing of stairs and out to the left side in this spot. Also, cannot talk to innkeeper from any direction except across the table graphic.

I would suggest you consider egress points of buildings to be better indicated. And you might want to consider transferring character 1 extra space inside/outside buildings so when leaving an extra step is not required for ingress/egress (i.e. only have to turn around and go one step to exit). Does that make sense the way I explained it?

Are your NPC's going to have additional text assigned at a later date? Will characters have a "follow-up" conversation after certain tasks have been accomplished?

I'll keep playing and let you know what I find tomorrow.
Here is version 4 of the demo. I widened the bridge, set poison to battles only, Ruby necklace can be equipped, nerfed lightning ring, X'ed places you posted, I fixed the freeze with the guard outside of the small house leading to the underground and I added a hint of where to go to the mercenary after you get the weapon + made inn keeper in Venta tell you to register at the reception. For the demo it's enough dialog in Venta telling you about the underground and I might add new dialogs later.

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks for the download link. I copied save files from ver. 3 with no problems.

However, I did find another hard glitch. This is just south of the house where Fortune Teller (?) lives. I like the addition of animals in towns/villages that don't kill you. But this one killed the game when party interacted with it. 1st Character was shaking uncontrollably and froze the game. Shaking stopped when PrtScr was done but resumed after that. Very strange effect.
Monkey interaction causes character to vibrate.png

Also some more general observations for you.
After stealing fish from the monkey near the scenic overlook, there is a comment about using the fish. Is that for the previously defeated monster on the lower level? The fish never shows up in inventory.

I was wondering if there was an armor shop in this town, and I just found it. Unless there are compelling reasons for making characters keep certain equipment, it really should be possible to sell items like the headbands.

Defeating Yeldorra at the oasis with characters at Lvl 8 is based too much on chance. The claw ritual will virtually take out either character below 50%. 2 of those in a row will take out either character. And all spells seem to cause basically equal damage, so constant healing by Aeterna with an occasional offensive lightning-2 spell and the purple spell by Lontel is the best "strategy". Maybe think about sequencing the claw attack to every 3rd-4th attack so they can never come back-to-back after a yellow beam attack. It took me 4 tries to defeat Yeldorra, but more that that to defeat Yeldorra with Aeterna alive at the end (he’s a real battle wimp).

The party moves slow in most places even with “Always Dash” set to “On”. This doen't seem to be the case with some indoor settings.

There is enough NPC conversation for now, it just helps with the overall game quality when NPC's acknowledge the party for vanquishing something important and maybe even offering an individual personal gift for work well done. May seem trivial, but why have an NPC at all that will not respond to the party. The conversations can even be used as comedic relief where appropriate.

Wrathspawn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the download link. I copied save files from ver. 3 with no problems.

However, I did find another hard glitch. This is just south of the house where Fortune Teller (?) lives. I like the addition of animals in towns/villages that don't kill you. But this one killed the game when party interacted with it. 1st Character was shaking uncontrollably and froze the game. Shaking stopped when PrtScr was done but resumed after that. Very strange effect.

Also some more general observations for you.
After stealing fish from the monkey near the scenic overlook, there is a comment about using the fish. Is that for the previously defeated monster on the lower level? The fish never shows up in inventory.

I was wondering if there was an armor shop in this town, and I just found it. Unless there are compelling reasons for making characters keep certain equipment, it really should be possible to sell items like the headbands.

Defeating Yeldorra at the oasis with characters at Lvl 8 is based too much on chance. The claw ritual will virtually take out either character below 50%. 2 of those in a row will take out either character. And all spells seem to cause basically equal damage, so constant healing by Aeterna with an occasional offensive lightning-2 spell and the purple spell by Lontel is the best "strategy". Maybe think about sequencing the claw attack to every 3rd-4th attack so they can never come back-to-back after a yellow beam attack. It took me 4 tries to defeat Yeldorra, but more that that to defeat Yeldorra with Aeterna alive at the end (he’s a real battle wimp).

The party moves slow in most places even with “Always Dash” set to “On”. This doen't seem to be the case with some indoor settings.

There is enough NPC conversation for now, it just helps with the overall game quality when NPC's acknowledge the party for vanquishing something important and maybe even offering an individual personal gift for work well done. May seem trivial, but why have an NPC at all that will not respond to the party. The conversations can even be used as comedic relief where appropriate.
Haha I forgot about that monkey I thought I removed it a while back and I removed the movement route stuckup. Aeterna has lower M.defense at the part where you fight Yeldorra but I put an M.defense jewel in a chest abit after to even it but I fixed it now I made Claw ritual into an attack based on attack not M.attack. Yeldorra had lower attack. You can sell reinforced headband now. I will replace version 4 with this one. (I'll update so you can't dash indoor tommorow in V4fix.2)
Here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0u13dkcn1w9mnr/Aeterna's Journey Demo V4fix.rar?dl=1

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I hope I'm not being too much of a pest for you, but I am trying to report what I find while it's fresh in my mind to explain.

Why is the party unable to enter the inn before leaving town? Is there something I need to trigger? After the Oasis battle my party is out of MP and very low on HP. It will cost almost 500 coins to mostly restore the party instead of the 100 coins the Innkeeper charged the first visit.

There is also a passability issue after the comment by the party is made which repeats itself after party backs out of Inn.
inn passability 1.png
Inn passability 2.png

NPC’s typically require character to be directly in front of them for conversation. Should consider all approach sides as valid unless you want to scold the party for walking behind a desk area.

No item description for Crystal Shard as to what powers/stat increases it provides (i.e. Increases MAT by 12 or a % amount)

Okay, I figured out the fish puzzle even though the fish doesn’t appear in inventory. The reference to the “monster below” made me think about anything except the creature that was hungry from a previous conversational hint when first exploring the village.

BTW, I like being able to dash and usually set the option to "always dash" to speed up travel.

Wrathspawn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hope I'm not being too much of a pest for you, but I am trying to report what I find while it's fresh in my mind to explain.

Why is the party unable to enter the inn before leaving town? Is there something I need to trigger? After the Oasis battle my party is out of MP and very low on HP. It will cost almost 500 coins to mostly restore the party instead of the 100 coins the Innkeeper charged the first visit.

There is also a passability issue after the comment by the party is made which repeats itself after party backs out of Inn.

NPC’s typically require character to be directly in front of them for conversation. Should consider all approach sides as valid unless you want to scold the party for walking behind a desk area.

No item description for Crystal Shard as to what powers/stat increases it provides (i.e. Increases MAT by 12 or a % amount)

Okay, I figured out the fish puzzle even though the fish doesn’t appear in inventory. The reference to the “monster below” made me think about anything except the creature that was hungry from a previous conversational hint when first exploring the village.

BTW, I like being able to dash and usually set the option to "always dash" to speed up travel.

It isn't leaving town, it's going to the higher ups of the town where you start talking about where to go next. They were tired from the Snexus fight and so forth and wanted a rest at the inn where you are supposed to go to the room and it will start an image scene to continue the story, before you go higher up. I want a better running animation for dash so I ditched it. There, I added the red fish to items and wrote how much M.Attack+ the crystal shards give and set movement route to down twice at the inn entrance. Here is fix2:

Last edited:

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks again for the dowload link. I'll start again tomorrow. Time for dinner now.

So, I cannot stay in the Inn a second time? That resource hit of about 500 gold value could be tough on some players if they don't figure out the better strategy is to use the new Healing spell and save potions for emergencies and battles. I don't remember if it is possible to miss the healing charge point. But if a player did miss it, they might not be able to get too far in the game. Just a thought.

Wrathspawn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks again for the dowload link. I'll start again tomorrow. Time for dinner now.

So, I cannot stay in the Inn a second time? That resource hit of about 500 gold value could be tough on some players if they don't figure out the better strategy is to use the new Healing spell and save potions for emergencies and battles. I don't remember if it is possible to miss the healing charge point. But if a player did miss it, they might not be able to get too far in the game. Just a thought.

you get more items you can sell in the swamp and a chest containing 500 gold. You also get gold from the swamp turtles.

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I downloaded the newest version (4f2) and it looks like there are missing files. The www folder only has folders for Audio and Icon.

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Download worked perfectly. You don't have to ever apologize for being tired. RL takes its toll on everyone. And you have been keeping up with updates quite well. Thanks.

EDIT:
Just finished the demo at the crystal at the end of the passageway. Here are my remaining observations for you to consider.

On way to the swamp I found Scarecrow and Pylon, but cannot proceed yet. Comment made by Aeterna re: coming back later. Makes me wonder if there will be a reminder when appropriate in the game to return and find Pylon. Or did I miss something?

Party is in the swamp and poisoned by Turtles both before and after town, but poison effect did not end after battle like you said you had changed. Does poison have a turn-based length to the effect in battle? Poison doesn’t even get removed after a “camping” cut scene in swamp. But it is good that you implemented a stop at 1HP so characters cannot die from poisoning.

Save crystals good since they indicate a possible enemy ahead, but they serve no other purpose other than as a reminder because “Save anywhere” is possible which is a requirement for me ever buying a game. Maybe add a cost for MP/HP full restore for $. I’ve seen some designs where a % (like 10%) of gold is sacrificed by the party for this restore option.

What does “Swamp Mixture” do for 700gold? “Frog’s Favorite and can only be used in battle.

“Treassure” is spelled “Treasure” with a single “S”. This has been a spelling error throughout the game.

“Colosseum” has 2 “s”, not one. (Text when meeting warrior in dinosaur area).

Mapping specific:
It would be great if area name was displayed in upper left corner when changing areas on map. Helps with “Where am I?” syndrome. Another help would be a comment when leaving towns for what is the next objective.

Some map areas have darker/lighter patches of ground which look like possible paths and usually indicate a transition area to another map section. Fine if this was purposeful for future expansion, but will confuse some players who are used to this approach of other designers.

Consider placing flying critters like butterflies “above” characters so they don’t cause a collision when party is walking.

After the town, there is an area on left side of swamp with a ladder leading up to a plateau and what seems like an exit. Is this a future addition, or one of those misleading ground areas that looks like an exit?

And here is a swamp passability issue:
Swamp passability issue.png

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

How can I look up the components for a medieval bomb for my game without the FBI showing up at my door?
I don't think I can handle using the real SNES resolution of 512x448 because resizing absolutely every interface element I had on hand by painstaking trial & error/guess and check (is there any other way?) is KILLING me.
If anyone wants to Program for me give me a DM, ill pay if i have to!
I made a drawing of Moss
RPG Maker Games Critique with Studio Blue: Militibus Elementis Redux starts now! Watch live!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Germelshausen