RMMV Aether (working title) Battle Mini-game Mechanic Demo

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by Sharq, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Sharq

Sharq Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
    Aether(working title)

Game Objective
    When someone plays this game, I want them to primarily enjoy the combat system. My combat system is like a mixture of OSU and Legend of Dragoon. I have plans to make it very fun and exciting, as well as rewarding and difficult. The game will also feature a storyline I've put a lot of work and heart into.
    [​IMG]

Battle Mini-game Mechanic (main point of this thread)

• At the heart of the battle system is a mini-game. Battles are turn-based, but with every attack, a mini-game is played. In this mini-game, you learn via trial-and-error to memorize different patterns and perform better the more you use a same weapon and/or spell. I designed the system in hopes of providing a fresh challenge requiring skillful timing for every battle. This mechanic is the primary focus of my game so I'd appreciate any and all feedback. How the mini-game is actually played is much easier shown than told. Once you play the demo you'll understand, but keep in mind that every individual weapon and spell will have it's own pattern in the game, and every pattern will have unlockable modifiers that make them more difficult but more rewarding.

[​IMG]

Setting and World Development
    • The setting is a steampunk medieval era. Many humans wield magic and sword however technology has advanced enough for guns and steam engines. Much of the world is made of green pastures and forests however it does have a jungle, snowy mountains, and a vast ocean. The history of the world involves gods that sealed a demon long ago with the power of ancient relics that have long since been lost to the knowledge of normal people. A kingdom in civil-war lies at the heart of the continent. The feud over whether the kingdom should continue allowing unmonitored use and learning of magic, or is magic too dangerous for the common folk.

[​IMG]

Screenshots
    Here are some images of maps from my game. As you probably already know, this tile set is Time Fantasy by Jason Perry. Occasionally I create very small changes to accommodate small issues I find.

[​IMG]

DOWNLOAD LINK
    Please note that the demo doesn't use any of the art I will be using for the full game. I just used default assets because the point of this demo is to test the battle mechanics. The demo is full of very silly, 4th wall breaking, dialogue, something that will be likely non-existent in the real game. Also, please be aware that the harder battles in the game might seem VERY difficult. This is because you cannot emulate hours of training yourself in a quick demo. In the later part of the game, the battles will require you to have used your skills for a long time and be proficient with them.
    Also, I don't own a Mac or Linux machine but if anyone plays the demo on them, please let me know if the mini-game works good.

Windows download link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/lxmds9gg9xo3odi/Battle Demo_WINDOWS.zip?dl=0

Mac download link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ic40mzgr779kdeb/Battle Demo_MAC.zip?dl=0

Linux download link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/f69x13707ct0hj8/Battle Demo_LINUX.zip?dl=0

Credit:
    Most of the demo just uses default assets however, I use many Yanfly scripts and some SRDude scripts. Some I altered and some I have not. I use music made by Eric Skiff, RoccoW, Visager, and myself. Art in the full game is by Jason Perry.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. xdan

xdan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I have tried, but this is too hard for me. I can't keep track of all the different patterns, and they seem to change speed mid animation and do long waits and they trick me in general. I completed easy mode tho.

Something that might make it easier (which doesn't mean better) is some kind of teller that it's going to change, so that I don't have to rely purely on memory. But feel free to dismiss this entirely, there's nothing wrong with games being hard. I'm telling you just in case you want to tone it down for dumb players like me. (It certainly won't help that I'm your only tester.)

Another idea: how about emmiting a sound every time it changes direction? That would make memorization a lot easier, it would be like remembering a musical rythm.

Sharq likes this.
  3. Sharq

Sharq Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No I agree. I think, as the developer I already knew the patterns so well in my mind from creating them that it became easy for me to perform even the most difficult ones. I'm considering adding a visual indication of when you're supposed to hit. Also considering for the tutorial sake, adding a quick visual display of the entire pattern just before it happens. But I really appreciate the feedback! It really helps so much.