RMMV Afar the MMORPG

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Amy Pond, May 27, 2016.

1. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    this is a very HUGE and ambitious project o.o

I'm following this :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2016
    Amy Pond likes this.
  2. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Firstly I must stress that the release date is provisional. It is certainly what I am aiming for but if something happens, like an Internet connection disaster or something takes too long to make, it may be pushed back. I really do not want that to be the case however and shall endeavour to have this launched on Saturday.

The time will probably be some time around 8PM GMT but it depends on many things.

This is an early release. Please do not expect a full game. Do not expect a lot in fact.

There is a long way still to go and this release is really just to test the infrastructure and the game itself to see if it is working and will work with a decent amount of people playing. It is for bug testing, it is for stress testing, and it is not the equivalent of a full game launch you're used to.

There will be bugs. There will not be a lot of content. There will be limited things to do.

If that doesn't interest you, you don't have to play. However, if you want to help shape the future of a new MMORPG from the beginning, I invite you into my world.

[​IMG]

On launch there will be:

• An in-game chat system
    • Basic resource gathering
    • Basic item combining with recipes
    • An in-game user guide populated with some useful information
    • A basic tutorial
    • A basic, small map area to explore
    • Ghost players (but with very limited interaction)
    • Character creation and visual equipment
    • Some basic equipment
    • An in-game message forum

There will not presently be:

• A battle system
    • Quests
    • Much of an explorable world

Again I must stress that this is a very early release.

[​IMG]

I need your comments and criticisms. Please reply to this thread with your qualms or praise. Mostly your qualms. If I can improve something, let me know. If you don't like something, let me know.

Mostly though just talk about the game. Spread the word. Get people interested and invite people along to the initial game launch (just explain the above or link them to this post so they don't get their hopes too high).

[​IMG]

I have booked a week off work especially, starting on Monday. So immediately following game launch I will be ploughing several hours a day into Afar (if not more). This will be a special week, and there will be a huge boost in both features and content.

You can get involved by using the suggestions board in game or this thread to post your ideas and improvements (especially after game launch on Saturday). This game will be built around you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2016
  3. gRaViJa

gRaViJa Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Cool, I'll be one of the very first players!

Amy Pond likes this.
  4. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    I've edited the post a bit - I managed to book next week off work. So instead of 4-5 hours a day currently, next week I'll be ploughing twice as much into the game. (I lose eight hours a day traveling to work and then working, so you can imagine).

I'm gonna call this Launch Week and it will be a massive explosion of content and features.

9th June Updates

This is something the player will never see, but I just want to show, as it is going to greatly speed up production of content.

[​IMG]

Basically it's just an admin panel instead of using PHPMyAdmin.

The majority of today has been spent working on a secret, however. Shh.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2016
    Marsigne and gRaViJa like this.
  5. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Regarding tonight's launch

I have suffered a few major setbacks which mean the game is not at the state I would like it to be in for launch. I am however going to go ahead with it, just please understand that this is a very early release and that the game is not in any way in a well playable state. This launch is designed to test the concept and see how it handles having multiple people online, and to catch any bugs that would impede the game at a later stage. Look at the game at the moment as nothing more than a graphical chat client. If you want to play the game at its full potential I would wait until the official release.

It won't be for a few hours. I have a few last things to get into place.

My apologies on the state of the game, I had hoped and intended it to be a lot more contentful at this stage.

kaukusaki, Jeb and Marsigne like this.
  6. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's always a good idea to get people to beta test a very early concept and give some feedback, even if it's not playable at all :)

Good luck!

Marquise* and Marsigne like this.
  7. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So much progress in such little time. You're an inspiration lol.

Marsigne likes this.
  8. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Thanks, that means a lot.

Unfortunately I am going to have to push back the beta to TOMORROW. I hope I haven't left anyone waiting. I didn't want to have to do this but while I have finished everything I needed to, I do not want to launch and then go to sleep, as then I can't fix anything that immediately explodes. It's nearly 1am here and I worked quite late (er, early) last night / this morning.

Quite a few small updates, based on playthroughs. These include a menu for opening and closing windows instead of numpad keys, new guide homepage, new items, some map edits, backend work, new players online list with icons for actions (only "view profile" currently operational), interface graphic edits, etc.

Now remembers what windows you had open between plays. (Always loads with forums closed in case you spawn by a monster)

Added the rare Beta Blade and a basic inventory of items given to all players.

Finished the location window which now updates when you change maps. Made the credits page. Changed the forums a bit.

Lots of small tweaks basically.

I also need to collapse any images I am using. My graphics software instead of using PSD files uses PNGs with layers basically, and I have a bad habit for not exporting as flat PNGs, and uploading these massive images. I need to trawl through and flatten them all, which will greatly reduce loading times.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2016
    Marsigne and Kyuukon like this.
  9. Biestmann

Biestmann Heaven's Height Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is an incredibly ambitious project, and I'm glad to see it in the hands of someone this capable. Regarding the early release, I am glad you are taking all the time you need rather than rushing things out of the door - first impressions count after all.

I have high hopes for this and will be among the early testers for sure. I imagine you could use all the feedback you can get. Good luck!

Amy Pond likes this.
  10. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Afar is now live.

You can access the game at http://www.afar.ws

WE HAVE A BUG: IN GAME CHAT WILL ONLY CURRENTLY LET TWO PEOPLE IN.

I know how to fix this but I need to talk to my chat host.

Here is a link you can use to open the in-game chat in a new tab or window.

https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.slacked.org/?nick=????#afar

Please remember: this is an early release. There is not much content.

There will be bugs, hopefully not many. Should you encounter any, please don't hesitate to report them. There is a bug report thread in the in game support board, or you can use this thread here. Any suggestions and ideas, however small or big, can go in the in-game suggestions board or in this thread. I accept any constructive criticism however mean you think you are being so please don't hesitate to tell me if you do not like something (or again if you do).

Again this is an early release. Content is limited. There is not a lot to do.

Hopefully nothing explodes and there are no game killing bugs. But that's what this release is designed to test.

Looks like FoolishOne is the first created account. But hasn't made a character yet. I hope it's not broken.

Bugs Fixed

- Game crashing bug everywhere. Briefly everyone was a chicken. Now fine; made chicken soup.

- NPCs would crash the game. Now fixed.

Bugs known about but not yet fixed

- Doesn't say anything when you equip an item so you don't know it's equipped.

- Can't walk through ghost players

- No music in the woods

- White border visible on Port map

- Can walk through cart, tent

- Players online list doesn't scroll

- Brief bit of last message shows when a new message loads

- Forums slightly overlap menu

- Double clicking buttons can crash the game

- Clipping issues with menu buttons

- Some character profiles are messed up if they haven't created a character yet

- Text placement on login screen in some browsers

Looks like we have quite a few bugs that have inexplicably added themselves in between me testing and me launching. This is going to be a long night.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2016
  11. PyroclasticMayhem

PyroclasticMayhem Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Got an account up, the game looks incredible and shows what can be done with RPG Maker MV. Experiencing a bit of lag when opening menus though.

Amy Pond likes this.
  12. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is it me or there is lag like... a lot (I blame RMMV engine for that). Also, how one can close the chat and menu? It's getting in the way of the game D:

Overall, good work in getting it to work. All seems like a very difficult task D:

13. terrorchan

terrorchan Literally a Gloop Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I was creating my character and I clicked next and I got this error

[​IMG]

14. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    The menu icons in the top right control the windows. I will make a tutorial soon.

The only thing I can think is it has gone through twice, possibly a double click? I'll look into it. Your character is set up correctly.

Edit: the error is double clicking (intentional or not), I will work to fix this ASAP.

I am not experiencing any lag on my end, so if anyone experiences any, can you tell me where it is and what is laggy? Then I can work to fix it if it is my server causing it.

15. Banquo

Banquo scoundrel Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow, I'm in! That's very cool!

I haven't experienced any game breaking bugs. Sometimes it lags a little. Especially when using the menu.

There's one bug, when I enter Port Tiben. If I order the avatar to move to a position that makes him move left or right first (with the mouse), he only moves one step left/right and stops. Could this have something to do with the transfer events that are place along that border?

If so placing the player one tile away from the border when transferring might solve this issue.

It doesn't happen when entering "Tiben Woods Trade Route" since the avatar always moves down first, then left/right.

This doesn't happen with keyboard controls.

Are we supposed to use our tools already? When trying to swing the axe at the tree, the chat window pops up with a warning: "Error Connecting (socket hang up)".

I'm looking forward to more! :)

Amy Pond likes this.
  16. beenbaba

beenbaba Slowly getting there Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Really cool!

In port tiben there are a lot of blurry objects, some trees, the grass and some parts of houses/buildings are blurry. Not sure if you know about that or not or if it's just me.

There doesn't seem that much lag to me, my internet is pretty good though so that may be a factor.

Amy Pond likes this.
  17. Banquo

Banquo scoundrel Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was wondering... Could it be possible to sync with a limited number of other players? Like for example I want most players to stay ghosts, except for my friends, so we can go questing together. Maybe building groups of up to 4 players?

Amy Pond likes this.
  18. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hmm I actually tried it out (on Firefox), but it was very laggy for me. Almost everything had like a second delay. We were only online with 3 people at the time, soo ot sure what happened.

19. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It's a possibility that the game engine exchanges some information with the overlay, causing delay in the process. That, or the engine is slow (can't say for sure). Maybe the internet connection?

Amy Pond likes this.
  20. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    It depends what the lag is. It may be images loading in the overlay.