After event ends, the player is stuck

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Jackninja5, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Jackninja5

Jackninja5 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi, I recently got RPG Maker VX Ace (Lite version) and I'm trying to make an event where a knight is killed off (well, disappears) by another and the protagonist ends up having to fight the other knight. The fight ends with another line of dialogue but afterwards, the event repeats (although the other knight is still gone so that's a plus). I have screenshots of what I did that may provide anyone who can help with the problem:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does anyone have a solution to this? (Also if this is the wrong forum to post this thread in, I apologise in advance.)

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    By accident you posted in the Support forum for MV. I am, therefore, moving this to VX Ace, as you are using the Lite version of that engine.

Jackninja5 likes this.
  3. Jackninja5

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Oh, thank you.

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Jackninja5
    1) autoruns never end, they always loop - you need to switch them off to a new event page on action button
    2) it is a very bad idea to scatter commands for a single cutscene over different events. All commands should be in a single controlling event that remotely gives commands to all other events.
    3) for the same as 29, it is a very bad idea to have several different autorun events at the same time on the same map - because the engine can only run one autorun at any time.

Marsigne likes this.
  5. Jackninja5

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Then how does one have separate characters on at a time? Also, since it's supposed to begin when the player immediately enters (at least only on the first time), I don't think action button is the best to use for that. Is there anything I could set it to that isn't either autorun or action button?

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    you completely misunderstood what I wrote.
    you can have as many events as you want, but they should be remotely controlled and be empty of commands.
    Again, you need ONE autorun for the controlling events. and since the other events will not contain any commands, you can let them on action button. It is the controlling autorun event that will give them the move commands, they do nothing on their own.

7. Jackninja5

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I did what I understood from the message but there are some problems. It repeats (albeit by starting somewhere else) and one of the characters is never visible. Here are the images of what I did.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1) your autorun repeats because you haven't switched it off. it needs a second page on action button conditioned on self-switch A, and you need to control on that self-switch when you want the autorun to end.

2) the other event will only appear when you switch on the "leaving" button, not before. when do you want it to be visible?

9. Jackninja5

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    1. Okay, understood. I'll get back to you on that one if I still have problems.

2. I want it to be visible from when the player enters until the blow sound effect.

10. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    2) then you need it with two pages, the first page as the NPC should look like but without a condition, and the second page without a sprite (that turns the event invisible) and the condition that will be set at the same time as the sound effect (usually a general switch)

11. Jackninja5

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, the event works but there remains a problem. After it ends, the player is unable to move (even though the tiles I'm moving to are able to be walked on).

12. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    if this happens, then you have an active autorun that is not switched off.

as said several times above you need to find all autoruns and switch them off at the end of the event - another reason why you should only use one autorun on the controlling event and have everything else on action button.

13. Jackninja5

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I only have one autorun and despite turning it off by setting the self switch to A, it's still having the same problem.

14. Roninator2

Roninator2 Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Did you modify the tileset for that map?
    Tile B needs to have a star for passibility on the first tile. otherwise the tileset will not work.
    upload_2019-6-15_20-1-46.png

Otherwise the autorun is still running somewhere.

Is the player able to turn? or do all controls stop?

15. Jackninja5

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The tiles are able to be walked on. The player is unable to turn but you can open the menu.

16. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    then either you made a mistake with the switch-off, or you accidentally switched on an autorun that you forgot about.
    Please give screenshots of that autorun event - complete screenshots containing the entire event and all event pages as they are now with their page numbers and conditions.

EDIT:
    OR you have a plugin that now blocks movement - there are several that do this if you forgot to configure them correctly. So give a screenshot of your plugin manager as well.

17. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    The OP uses VXAce Lite.

18. Jackninja5

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [SPOILER = "Image 1"]
    [​IMG]
    [/SPOILER]
    [SPOILER = "Image 2"]
    [​IMG]
    [/SPOILER]
    [SPOILER = "Image 3"]
    [​IMG]
    [/SPOILER]
    [SPOILER = "Image 4"]
    [​IMG]
    [/SPOILER]
    [SPOILER = "Image 5"]
    [​IMG]
    [/SPOILER]

Apologies for the late reply. I had other things on.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  19. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    there is no problem in that event - it could have been a bit more streamline but that is not causing problems. You are aware that there is a 50% chance of the event working or skipping? because that is what you created with the random variable at the beginning. And since it autorepeats this will only result in a few skipped frames until it runs, making that random check absolutely useless...

But as said that is not what is blocking the player, so that leaves only two possibilities:
    either switch 2 (Knight Debut) or switch 4 (leaving) is used at a different event or script, and that different event or script is what freezes the player.
    You now need to find out where else you using those two switches.

You need to check EVERY other event on that map to see if one of it uses one of those switches - preferably going line by line in the map to make sure you didn't skip one.
    Then you need to check EVERY common event in the database, including the ones you haven't used or named (you might have accidentally switched one to autorun experimenting there and forgotten it)

if it is neither in any map event nor in the common event, then that means it is used in one of your scripts and you've forgotten to configure that script - we would need to see a screenshot of your script manager scrolled to the section where you added scripts to even guess which one it might be. If this is the case I strongly suggest following the link to the tutorial "how to use a script" in my signature to learn where the mistake might be and how scripts needed to be configured.

20. Jackninja5

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It is neither due to a map event nor a common one and I haven't really added any scripts to the script manager.