After the boss fight -- what now? (Beginner--ish question)

tumsterfest

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I am trying to make my story progress after my game's first boss battle. This storyline event will occur on the same map as the player was on before the boss fight. To make the cutscene initiate AFTER the fight, I made it only happen on the condition that you possess a weapon that's earned by beating the boss.

However when I test the event, nothing happens (other than the new BGM starting (better than nothing, I guess?).

This is a very important time to note that variables fly way over my head. I've pretty much not touched switches either (except self-switches) for the same reason. Believe me, I've tried learning about them through videos and blog posts.

Anywho, here are the screens of my event setup. If anyone could help me connect the dots from end of boss battle to cutscene, I'd really appreciate it!

Attachments

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Change Event trigger from Parallel to autorun or move Change Self Switch A - ON at the end of event
Parallel events ignores all actions below Change Self Switch A - ON

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wonder, what does the tab 2 event page look like?

I notice you're turning Self Switch A on right out of the gate, maybe what's happening on tab 2 is killing the rest of tab 1's actions somehow.

One thing I'm uncertain of is whether everything after the Self Switch turns on will run once you activate the switch, though from the sounds of it at least the BGM change is happening.

I always try to activate Self Switches at the end of the event page.

EDIT:

Change Event trigger from Parallel to autorun or move Change Self Switch A - ON at the end of event
Parallel events ignores all actions below Change Self Switch A - ON
There it is, the early Self Switch is indeed killing the rest of the page. Thanks for clarifying @Soulrender.

WilsonE7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
To add to the previous comments, try and keep everything associated with your cutscene on one single event. Add everything you want to happen post-battle after the Battle Processing command. It would be more helpful if we had more context of what was going on around the battle. Show us the event that starts the battle as well as page 2 of the event you showed us. That will give us more info to help you troubleshoot.

zzmmorgan

I've used punchcards
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I learned the self switch behavior early in my tinkering with events :)
Once you get that sorted out then your event tab order starts making more sense and your events happen like you plan.
Another thing you'll find is that when you have multiple tabs they get checked starting with the highest number then it goes inward. So once a condition on a higher numbered tab happens it stops checking the lower numbered ones.

tumsterfest

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks, all. It was two things: the self switch stopped everything but the BGM from happening (since it was just above the switch), aaaaand I somehow lost my A2 tiles below my parallax map. So there were no actual tiles for the cutscene people to walk on anyway haha.

Now all I need to figure out is why my Change Equip battle command wont show up and why the cutscene character's transparency/opacity isn't quite behaving ... and I'll finally have my first chapter done.

Making games ... is hard.

Zerothedarklord

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, all. It was two things: the self switch stopped everything but the BGM from happening (since it was just above the switch), aaaaand I somehow lost my A2 tiles below my parallax map. So there were no actual tiles for the cutscene people to walk on anyway haha.

Now all I need to figure out is why my Change Equip battle command wont show up and why the cutscene character's transparency/opacity isn't quite behaving ... and I'll finally have my first chapter done.

Making games ... is hard.
It takes a little bit of work, yeah. feel free to get at me directly if you have questions in the future, especially with variables. I'd be glad to lend a hand

tumsterfest

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks!
Update: Things are sorted out, but my event still won't show up when I tell it to, even with transparency set to OFF and whatnot. Could someone tell me what I'm messing up?

Attachments

Jennavieve

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks!
Update: Things are sorted out, but my event still won't show up when I tell it to, even with transparency set to OFF and whatnot. Could someone tell me what I'm messing up?
Maybe it's the "If" clause that's throwing things off? Unless it's possible for the characters to fail the battle and continue playing, it's unnecessary anyway. Once the battle concludes, it will continue on to the next line.

Also, I think it would help you out tremendously if you learn to use switches and variables. It makes events a lot easier to organize. Not sure if you've tried watching SRDude's tutorials but I've found his to be the most helpful. They give you all the info you need but they're short and to the point.

tumsterfest

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Maybe it's the "If" clause that's throwing things off? Unless it's possible for the characters to fail the battle and continue playing, it's unnecessary anyway. Once the battle concludes, it will continue on to the next line.

Also, I think it would help you out tremendously if you learn to use switches and variables. It makes events a lot easier to organize. Not sure if you've tried watching SRDude's tutorials but I've found his to be the most helpful. They give you all the info you need but they're short and to the point.
The "If" statement was a remnant of my first attempt at this, when I had the event split in two -- pre-battle and post-battle. So, yes, it was unnecessary. Unfortunately, I removed it and the post-battle event is still invisible for some reason.

I've been allergic to variables and switches for months because it was all so overwhelming. Maybe not that I'm 2-3 months in, it won't seem so bad. Thanks for the resource!

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Create a variable called Bossbattle. When you defeat the first boss set its value to 1.

Now just make any events that only show up after that battle have a requirement of Variable Bossbattle = or > 1 That should solve the problem.

Variables and Switches are your friends. There is no need to fear them. And you have 5000 of each to work with.

Self Switches are very powerful and let you do some pretty neat things with the event in question, but if you really want fine control over game progression ,you really want to make use of Switches and variables...

It sounds like you want certain events to only show up after defeating different bosses, and you can use either switches or a variable to accomplish this. If boss encounters are going to be linear, as in you will never see Boss 2 unless you've already beat boss 1, then use a variable, adding +1 to its value when a boss is defeated.

IF, however, you want to allow the player a crack at any boss at any time, you'll want a separate SWITCH for each one that gets set to ON when the boss is defeated.

Last edited:

tumsterfest

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well, I finally got my feet wet by trying a NPC tech-related variable -- where the message changes depending on whether it's your 1st, 2nd or 3rd+ time speaking to the NPC.

It wasn't that hard, honestly haha ... I think where its confusing to newcomers is that there's no separate "workshop" in the system/database where you create variables and switches. Literally I spent months wondering how that worked haha

zzmmorgan

I've used punchcards
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wish the tutorials put more focus on common events. I'm still discovering ways in which they can greatly extend the things you can do.......
And I definitely wish it was easier to get into the variables and switches in the database.

tumsterfest

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I wish the tutorials put more focus on common events. I'm still discovering ways in which they can greatly extend the things you can do.......
And I definitely wish it was easier to get into the variables and switches in the database.
Yeah, I haven't really touched common events either, though I hear great things about them. It definitely makes life more simple when your game is fairly linear, has no experience points or AP, etc. Next time I make a game, I'm waiting to win the lottery so I can outsource all the hard stuff haha

zzmmorgan

I've used punchcards
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been slowly shuffling a lot of logic over to common events to make things a bit tidier. I'm also realizing just how much you can do with javascript just using the script statement in an event although mostly playing with that in common events. Some time back I saw a comment from Yanfly that a lot of the plugins he wrote could be accomplished using common events and I'm slowly learning just how true that is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Once again working on a game I'm not sure I'm going to sell or even publish
That feel when you're awake past midnight and suddenly you're one year older :ninja:
I miss collaborations, but I don't know how to find someone to make face parts just to share them with others, and even though I don't like writing or music, I can't trust anyone with writing on my game because it has themes that are easy to mess up, and music needs a clear tone and scenes.
People donating to me for my upcoming birthday so I can pay my team a little. Such angels, I'm so happy. T uT I smile so much my face hurts. Good souls in this world.
Playing Ragnarok Online again is very nostalgic. The last time I played it was 20 years ago, when I was ten-twelve old.
My first mmorpg.^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dashstop