RMXP Ahriman's Prophecy: Prequel to Aveyond (REBOOT) [DEMO AVAILABLE]

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by callmedan, Jul 5, 2018.

1. callmedan

callmedan Friendly Stranger Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    [​IMG]

Ahriman's Prophecy is an original game by Aveyond Studios (formerly Amaranth Games).
    This project has being done with their approval.

Demo Download

SYNOPSIS
    Aia, a beautiful fantasy world doomed to be destroyed by the demon, Ahriman. In a desperate attempt to stop the prophecy, the Daughters of Light send you, a young but powerful magic wielder, on a difficult quest to unlock the secrets of the prophecy and hopefully, learn how to stop it.

CHARACTERS
    [​IMG]
    • Talia Maurva, a young woman from the small island village of Elden. She hopes to become an herbalist some day. She loves her village and has no desire to leave.
    • Devin Perry, a young man from the small island village of Elden. He is an apprentice blacksmith. One day, he hopes to take over the smithy in the village.
    • Alicia Pendragon, the crown princess of Thais. Alicia doesn't want to live the life of a typical princess. She wishes to become a great sword woman. Don't get on her bad side, because she has a temper.
    • Jack is a scoundrel, but a darn good thief if you need one. He's often in and out of the Thais jail system.
    • Frederick le Mew dreams of being a successful shapeshifter. He's learned how to turn into a chicken, but that’s not enough to satisfy his goal. Someday he'll learn to shift into something terrifying. If only.
    • Haddan Albardk, a mercenary of short stature and wide breadth. He's extremely strong and will work for you for the right price. Don't get in his way if he swings his hammer.
    SCREENSHOTS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CREDITS
    • Game designer: Aveyond Studios
    • Creator: Duc Anh Nguyen
    • Programming: Radial Apps
    • Editors: Shirleen See & Ari Koelle-Pittel
    • Music: Aaron Walz, Ron Clarke, Morten Gjermundsen, Bijorn Lynn Annwn, Hiroki Kikuta, Joseph Cowan, Duc Anh Nguyen, Darkraven Fantasy Soundscapes
    • Art: Enterbrain, KADOKAWA, Thach Thao Le, Avery, Celianna, Lunarea, Candacis, PandaMaru, Ayene, Sithjester, Mack/REFMAP, Indrah, Folce-zero, whtdragon, Kiritan, Studio Pickle, Caitlin Nicnubill

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    atoms, luzi, dreamfall887 and 5 others like this.
  2. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I've never actually finished Ahriman's Prophecy; I restarted it twice, but the battle system, as well as the 2k3 graphics weren't for me. I don't think I ever got further than the second village/town. ^^;
    So I'm really looking forward to this one. Good luck! :)

callmedan likes this.
  3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Now I did finish it! I'm interested to see how you handle this. Perhaps a bit less grindy than the original?

callmedan and Marquise* like this.
  4. callmedan

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Thank you!
    @slimmmeiske2 I haven't finished the game either. Actually, I cheated and used the God Goodies to get it easier XD
    @Kes I'm trying to fix that :)

5. illyana

illyana Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Damnnnn this is a great idea. Aveyond and Ahriman's Prophecy were one of my first games and I'd love to see this reboot :)

callmedan likes this.
  6. callmedan

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    • A small update: I update some links so that we can connect easily. We have a Discord server as well, feel free to join and chat with people and sometimes I'll post some spoilers there https://discord.gg/YF8D3XS
    • One thing I forgot to mention in the first post that the game will be playable on Windows, Linux and Mac. It's really cool, isn't it? And before some people might wonder about this: this is completely legal, no reverse engineering involved. :)

7. callmedan

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Hi!
    I'm releasing the first demo of the game today. It's just a short game, about 30 minutes of game play. I think it's enough for a teaser.
    Visit this itch.io page and download the demo: https://anhdook.itch.io/ahrimans-prophecy-reboot
    -----------
    And please note that I couldn't compress the Audio folder at the moment, so do not delete it or make any changes to it.

Kes, slimmmeiske2 and Shaz like this.
  8. Jayje

Jayje THE Lone Indie Cheese! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    :kaojoy:YYYYYAAAYYYY!:kaojoy: ANOTHER RMXPer! Plus those screenshot is TIGHT!!

callmedan likes this.
  9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I thought I'd have a quick go at the demo. Here are my initial thoughts. I'm still in Eldan Outskirts and have not gone to up to get the milk yet. I found the dagger and the loaves of bread before setting out.

First off, I think you have done a good job of re-creating the atmosphere of the original, so well done on that. However, you have introduced a new element which I think doesn't work, and replicated what (in my personal opinion) is a fault of the original.

The new element is the click-clackety sound when dialogue is displayed. Some players don't mind this, others dislike it a lot, going by posts on this site. Maybe find a way to give the player the option to turn it off? In my opinion, as a sound, it does not fit the style of the game. It is quite a mechanical sound, so goes well with sci-fi/modern settings, but not that of medieval fantasy.

The replicated fault is in the early game balancing. At level one I am regularly dealing zero damage, due to the variance. This was often in the same fight, so that for 3 turns (either consecutively or interspersed with damage) I did nothing while getting hammered by the fly. This meant that more often than not, a level one enemy took 6 turns to defeat, as my usual damage was only one. Given that my HP at that point is only 18, I needed to heal up after, usually, 2 fights. But we then come to the issue of the drops. At 2 exp per fight it takes 15 fights to get to level 2. I kept a count, and in those 15 fights I got 2 bread, 7 gold (1 gold per fight) and for 6 I got nothing. That meant that I had to keep running back to my house to heal up. This is not engaging.

If I could make a couple of suggestions. Change the percentage on the drops so that for these particular enemies, the chance of getting nothing is greatly reduced (perhaps zero, even?). As a bread costs 5 gold to buy, as a player I would prefer to have more bread drops than gold drops. Have a hard look at those zero damages. After I leveled up, my strength went from 4 to 9. Even so, I was still regularly dealing zero damage. This wrecks any sense of progression, and continues what is a fairly tedious set of conditions for encounters. If you do not succeed in getting the player invested in your battles, the chances of them sticking around is pretty low. The original got away with it because endless grinding was the standard then, and also there were few games in competition. That is not true now, and nostalgia will not be enough to keep your players.

I noticed one mapping error, bottom right of the Outskirts, where a tile is missing.
    upload_2018-12-26_13-51-10.png

I hope you won't be discouraged by my comments. Obviously opinions will differ and maybe others will be fine with what you have done. However, I think that if you want to reach a wider audience, it would be worth thinking about the points I've raised. If you want to change anything, it will be easier now than when you've developed a couple of hours of game play.

Marquise* likes this.
  10. callmedan

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @Kes Thank you! A detailed feedback as yours is what I need.
    1. I've got some complaints about the sounds. Tbh, I've removed the step sounds before, maybe it'll be the message sound next time.

2. Could you please let me know which difficulty mode you chose? Because I fixed the zero damage bug before releasing the demo. The enemy could be damaged at least 1 point in easy and normal mode (I haven't tested the expert mode yet).
    For the drop rate, I have 'merit point' variable, which will be introduced later in the game (not included in this demo). It'll raise each time players finish a certain quest, and it will also raise the chance players get better drops.

3. I just checked the map. It's a problem with the priority.

That's all I could say as I don't know how to explain it with more detail in English.
    Thanks again!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  11. callmedan

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I added a small cutscene to make the game a bit more interesting, instead of just Show Text on Action Button :kaoswt:
    This scene will happen when you get to the Dyuti Temple to learn about the prophecy, and you find out that it's been destroyed.
    Honestly, I'm not confident about the dialogue in this scene due to my poor writing skills and English. :kaoswt2:

SoSick. and BadLittleSeed like this.
  12. GalacticGod

GalacticGod Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What plugin are you using for the dialog for the characters? It's really nice.

13. callmedan

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    GalacticGod likes this.
  14. saintorochi

saintorochi Warper Member

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Hi! I absolutely like your work! Its very good however i wanna point some error to improve.

1. The text sounds - Please remove that
    2. The name error - Talia named Talc in some scene example is in Gubin's quest
    3. The battle - Please make it stand still while fighting just like Aveyond 1 - 3