RMMV "Al Dente" Cooking Contest

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Dalph, Apr 1, 2017.

?

Who is your favourite character?

1. Harold

10 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Therese

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Princess Emily

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Rikimaru

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. Boom Boom

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Captain William Schmidt

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Dax Parrow (The Announcer)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Chef #1 [NO SPOILERS]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Chef #2 [NO SPOILERS]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Chef #3 [NO SPOILERS]

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
    When cooking becomes a boring daily chore and lacks any thrill, there's no better way to rekindle the spark by challenging your skills in a cooking contest!

"Al Dente" Cooking Contest is a short mini-game that features a 3-round cooking challenge against 3 different chefs. Help Dylan to carefully choose what dishes to prepare in order to please the judges, who have different tastes. Try to beat the 3 chefs, win the contest and claim the prize!

The game is part of Angoraverse, a fictional universe I created for my games.

FEATURES
    • 24 dishes to prepare, using 4 different spices that will affect both the dishes and the judges scores.
    • A total of 6 judges with their own tastes who will rate your dishes.
    • 3 chefs to defeat.
    • Randomized judges.
    • Short and silly storyline with a few small secrets.
    • Overused Emotion Balloon Icons.
    • You can make pizza in this game. That's totally a feature!
    • Also features our all time favourite hero as a judge: Harold! *waits for applause*
    GAME LENGTH
    • Around 30 minutes.
    SCREENSHOTS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HINTS
    • Pay attention to the introduction of every judge, it will give a vague hint about what they might like.
    • The judges appear randomly and have specific likes and dislikes, although they might compromise with some dishes. It's advised to take notes and experiment while you play.
    • Since this is a short minigame, you can't save. If you lose the round, you can try again without needing to restart everything.
    • You have to beat the score of the enemy chef. Since you are the challenger, if you have a tie score, the enemy chef will win.
    CONTROLS

Selection - Arrow keys, Mouse, Numpad
    Confirm - Enter, Spacebar, Left Mouse Click, Z
    Cancel - Esc, Right Mouse Click, X

FINAL NOTES

This short mini-game has been made in a couple of days (1 day for developing and 1 day for testing) using Rpg Maker MV for the March Madness Mini-Game Contest here. It's also available here and in this page.

DOWNLOAD

CREDITS

Writing
    Eventing
    Graphics & Sound Editing
    Mapping
    <DALPH>

Testing
    <SUSAN>

Original Materials
    <KADOKAWA>

Music

http://www.freesfx.co.uk
    Evil March - Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
    March of the Spoons - Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
    Mischief Maker - Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
    Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Sound Effects

http://www.freesfx.co.uk

Special Thanks goes to <Susan> for annoying the hell out of me during the whole development.

Copr. 2017 Dalph & Kadokawa

FAN ART

[​IMG]
    Harold by @Kanki (my little sister)

SUPPORT

Here's the Harold sprite with a giant spoon that you can add in your signature if you want to support the game!
    [​IMG]
    He will redirect whoever clicks on him to this thread, just copy-paste the whole link below in your signature to make him appear.
    Code:
    [URL='https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/al-dente-cooking-contest.76675/'][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/aUNaZnN.gif[/IMG][/URL]

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!

And please report any bugs (if you find them).

RELEASE HISTORY

v1.0 - 03/27/17 - First Release.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  2. Mikleo

Mikleo Resource Hunter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Nice game! Even though it's a short mini-game I still laughed at some points in the story.

And yeah, nice tip about the last stage, I cheated! LMAO!~ :kaojoy:

But, for serious, is there a right combination in the last stage? I'm asking coz I kinda 'cheated' on that one. :kaophew:

Susan and Dalph like this.
  3. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Mikleo
    Thanks a lot for playing, I'm glad you enjoyed the game! :D
    What you made to win is the right combination. Overlord Forchetta technically cheats by making something loved to death by every judge, so you are just fighting fire with fire. It's to add a bit of spice into the game with all the other spices (pun intended).
    Thanks again. :rwink:

Kanki, Susan and Mikleo like this.
  4. NavaneethCT

NavaneethCT Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like the game! Couldn't beat it though. It gave me an idea for a cooking simulation game. Thanks for making this.

5. Kanki

Kanki Villager Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Short and funny game,i really liked it.I hope there's gonna be a new one soon!

6. The007who

The007who Call me double 0s Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Looks very nice! Going to check it out as soon as I can! :) :)

EDIT: Wow :) I can't believe you've done this in a few days :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  7. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @NavaneethCT
    I'm glad you liked it and that it gave you inspiration, thanks for playing!
    If you have any problem feel free to ask me and I'll be more than happy to provide hints.

@Kanki
    Thanks sis! A sequel/prequel/something related is already in the works and will be released soon.

@The007who
    Thanks a lot! Have fun and let me know what you think when you have time.

EDIT: Thanks! Not gonna lie, it was a lot of work eventing-wise.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Kanki and Susan like this.
  8. Orb

Orb Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Behold the power of the SPICY FISH

That was very entertaining :D!, I loved the concept, the music, the different variations of plates you can make and the fact that judges are chosen randomly (making it a different experience for each player).

Pizza with sugar?
    *google Nutellosa*
    ...Oh my:kaoswt:

p.s. Poor Harold :C

9. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Orb
    [​IMG]

Congratulations! You nailed it! The Spicy Fish is one of the winning combinations!
    Thanks a bunch, glad you had fun with it!
    I wanted it to be randomized to add a bit of challenge and at the same time avoid boredom for the players.
    The Nutellosa is very nice yes, I got the chance to try it in real life and it was really worth the price (a bit sweet but still delicious).

Harold will have his moment of glory in the next games (maybe).
    Thanks again for playing the game.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  10. Susan

Susan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This mini-game is really funny. Haven't had a good laugh in a very long time. Haven't found any bugs either.
    Nice touch using food types from all over the world.

I like the randomised judges and their different tastes. The twist near the end was a bit unexpected. Good job! :kaojoy:

Kanki, Dalph and Marsigne like this.
  11. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Susan
    Thank you so much dear, wouldn't have been possible without your intense testing and moral support.

I'm both surprised and satisfied by the amount of people playing this game.
    I wasn't having high expectations tbh, mainly because it's something made in 1 day, but I'm glad I was wrong and some people actually enjoyed it.

12. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Really enjoyed playing through this - I didn't mean to, as I'm short of time, but I couldn't resist it.
    I've just noticed that you made this in 1 day - that is something to be proud of!
    I particularly liked the fact that the judges are random so that the next time I play it will be a different experience. And there will be a next time.

13. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kes
    wow Kes, thanks a lot for checking it out!
    I'm really honoured that a veteran like you found the time to play this little thing and I'm happy you enjoyed!
    Yes, it was really made in 1 day, there is some massive eventing in there (at least for me) that required a lot of testing.

Thanks again for finding the time to play it, much appreciated.

14. Kanki

Kanki Villager Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I just found out something cool, the public reacts differently for every round if Harold appears as a judge, that's hilarious. :guffaw:

15. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kanki
    Congrats for figuring it out sis, that's one of the few small secrets of the game. :rwink:

16. Orb

Orb Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I just have a question: I have played the game 3 times and everytime I play it I get the exact same judges in the exact same order. Do I have to uninstall the game or something? Dunno if it has something to do with any saved file inside the folders or something like that

17. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Orb
    That is weird and shouldn't happen.
    The game technically doesn't save at all, it's supposed to be finished in one playthrough and then closes itself automatically if you win all the 3 rounds.
    Did this happen the first time you played as well?

Do you mean that the exact same judges appear in the exact same order 3 times in a row in a single playthrough, or that the exact same group of judges appear for all 3 rounds in the exact same order (round 1 -> round 2 -> round 3) for 3 different playthroughs?

I believe you mean the latter, which is hard to get, but still very possible. There are only 6 judges in the entire game as stated in the description, therefore the likelihood of you encountering the same group of judges is not uncommon (although a bit unlucky if you can't get past them haha).

Thanks a lot for the report.
    ~
    For anyone's interested:
    I'm already working on the sequel\prequel\something set in the same universe and I have a lot done already, it won't take long before I will make a project thread around here so keep your eyes open for more updates.

Thanks for the attention.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Susan and Shugo like this.
  18. Orb

Orb Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I get the same set of judges (in the same left-to-right order) for each round for 3 different playthroughs. To be more specific:
    Round 1: The clown (at the left) - Harold (in the middle) - The Sailor (at the right)
    Round 2: Harold (at the left) - Therese (in the middle) - Princess emily (at the right)
    Round 3: The clown (at the left) - Princess emily (in the middle) - The sailor (at the right) (if I recall correctly)

That happened to me 3 games in a row (not only the same characters, but the same order in which they're distributed). I just played a fourth time a couple fo minutes ago and now I got different judges, so I guess my problem was solved? :kaoswt2:.

Just wondering if each set of judges is pre-made. If that's the case, then the likelihood of getting the same set of judges would be perfectly possible (which is what happened to me), but if each individual position is selected randomly (i.e. left judge, middle judge, and right judge), then omg I must be very unlucky since I was trying to get the ninja judge and so far I haven't met him once lol.:kaoslp:

19. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Orb
    This morning I was trying to make Harold appear and he didn't even pop-out once in every single round of my 3 playthroughs, I think it's both a matter of luck and a funny coincidence.
    And yes, there are premade sets of judge groups which I made in order to get certain special cutscenes (like the one with Harold for example).

Thanks for showing such great interest for the game btw, I really appreciate all the support.
    ~
    I added a poll to this thread because I'm interested to know which character people liked the most, feel free to vote if you are interested.
    Dylan (the protagonist) is not there because he doesn't talk at all and is basically an avatar of the player.
    ...ok, the truth is that there is no more space and I reached the maximum choices for the poll.

And last but not last...here's the Harold sprite with a giant spoon that you can add in your signature if you want to support the game!
    [​IMG]
    He has been added to the main post as well and will redirect whoever clicks on him to this thread, just copy-paste the whole link below in your signature to make him appear.
    Code:
    [URL='https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/al-dente-cooking-contest.76675/'][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/aUNaZnN.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Thanks again for the attention.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Susan likes this.
  20. The Stranger

The Stranger The Faceless Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This was quite a fun lil' mini-game. My favourite character was Rikimaru - Tenchu reference ftw!