Aldestan: Beginning of a Destined Path (formerly Aldestan's Escape)- Beta

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Azren, May 10, 2015.

1. Azren

Azren Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Aldestan: Beginning of a Destined Path (Beta)

(Contains some blood, mild language, and brief suggestion of sexual themes.)
    [​IMG]

Aldestan and his brother-in-arms Mordam have been shipwrecked.  The only survivors, they find themselves in a desert, with only a scant few provisions.

[​IMG]

In need of water, they search the nearby oasis, and discover a small group of bandits, who have abducted a young woman.  Revealing herself to be a priestess, the woman assists the two men in their fight, introducing herself as Lemire.  The bandits had attacked her town of Ossen, but found nothing of value, taking her with them instead.  Fearing for the town's safety, the three join together and travel to Ossen.

They are too late.
     [​IMG]

Discovering her parents' deaths to be particularly gruesome, Lemire retreats to her church, and begins reciting the funeral rites for her town.

With nowhere left to go, Lemire tells Aldestan and Mordam of a monastery across the nearby mountains...
    Details:

This is a brief game, with minimal resources outside of the RTP; combat is simple, and there is no complicated micromanaging, and overall game mechanics have not been altered:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The game has 2 endings, with a simple branch determining which ending the player receives.  Each ending has its own final boss, in addition to divergent events in the story.

This is a beta, and is still in need of improvement.  While I do not expect for many more changes in gameplay or mapping, the last portion of the game still definitely needs some polish in terms of story, and the final bosses could probably use some fine-tuning to make them appropriately difficult.  While I have tried to fix them, some errors with tiling, events, and sprites may still be present.

The project exists primarily to home my skills with RGMVXA, and to establish characters and setting for later project(s).  My primary concern at the moment is with the story flow in the last portion of the game, and with any remaining difficulty issues, although other suggestions are certainly welcome.  Additionally, while the game has credits, I don't know if they are sufficient for what is expected.

I hope for this to be one of a few games serving as prequels to my Overly Ambitious Project Of DoomTM, and would greatly value any constructive criticism on my first project.

Thank you for looking this over, and thank you to all who have given already feedback, support, and resources.

Credits for Non-RTP resources:

Battlers by Thalzon (http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/49-thalzons-battlers-and-faces/)

Dark Entity Battler by myself

Sleeping Lemire sprite by Crazy_Leen

Injured Kasorma sprite and bloody tiles by myself

Evil Giggle sound effect by Ms Littlefish

Improved Water and Lighting Effects by BustedEd (http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/25926-very-easy-improved-water-animation-tutorial/) and (http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/19147-very-easy-lighting-effects-tutorial/

​
    Download link (updated, ver. 0.2)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2015
    Clockwarkgate likes this.
  2. Azren

Azren Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Bump

3. Azren

Azren Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Bump

4. Nanaki_Fan

Nanaki_Fan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Sounds interesting!

Do you have a demo?

5. Azren

Azren Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
  6. Clockwarkgate

Clockwarkgate RGSS2 User Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    I prefer not to put sexual theme in such fantasy/adventure theme RPG.

7. Azren

Azren Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    New update!

Holy crap, I'm still alive!  I've made some changes to various scenes in the first half of the game, mostly trying to add a bit more character development, and more of a sense that Something Is Happening in a greater sense than "trapped on an island."  I decided that the vague suggestion of sexual content was unnecessary, and have removed it, and there have been some dialogue overhauls of various levels.  I still haven't touched things after leaving the final cave, since I'm still looking for feedback on it; I'm really not satisfied, but I'm having trouble figuring out what to do for the final act.

As always, feedback is appreciated!

Version 0.2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5d2o9em7bqaxcd/aldestan.exe?dl=0

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2015
  8. Azren

Azren Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Bump