RMVXA Alex and Adva (I´ve heard norse)

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by Canini, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Alex and Adva (I´ve heard norse)

Hello and thanks for taking a look at my game prototype! This is the second game I have started working on since joining this community and the first one I feel good enough to elaborate on.

SECTION A: GAMEPLAY MECHANICS
    • Mario and Luigi-like gameplay! Switch between two characters, each with several unique skills.
    • Action-rpg! Jump and fight enemies live on the map! Switching characters, using items and everything else is done via a customized version of the falcao pearl ABS menu, allowing for quick platforming gameplay and puzzles.

SECTION B: CHARACTERS
    • [​IMG]
      Alexander ”Alex” Arnabat is the best sejdrman (magician and seer) on the floating island of Beluga, where he has lived all his life. When a mysterious man that calls himself a missionary steals the cog that keeps the island afloat it falls to him and Adva to give chase. In battle, Alex uses a hookshot to move around the area and a wide variety of magic, blinding bombs being a speciality of his.
    • [​IMG]
      Adva Arnabat is the wife of Alexander and the best jackalope fighter of Beluga. She uses a sword and shield in battle, as well as her special ability which is called horns of steel. This allows her to enter battle with higher defence, but uses all of her TP. Her wish is to prove herself worthy to the lady of the wounded gods, who approves all heroes and fighters.
    • [​IMG]
      Seymour Smiles is a mysterious man from faraway Särkland who claims to be a missionary hoping to educate the ”heathens” of Beluga. Instead, he steals the cog that keeps the island afloat and now eyes the hammer of Klev, the thunder god. What does he hope to accomplish with these items? Going after him is the only way to find out!
    • [​IMG]
      The wounded gods are a group of gods, so called because they each wounded themselves when they killed the giant that the world is made from. Their leader is called Sigtrygg Bursdotter. She likes to disguise herself as an old woman and help those she deem worthy. Will Alex and Adva encounter her on their travels?

SECTION C: STORYLINE/PLOT

• Once upon a time, there were no islands, no green grass, no life or trees. There were just a gigantic gap, with swirling icy waters below and fire in the sky. That is when four gods came to this land, and made the islands and the great continent from the giant they slew. One hurt his arm, one hurt her leg, one hurt his chest and one hurt her head. That is the story about how glorious Grangård came to be!

The floating island of Beluga is a green paradise. Long ago it was sacked in by vikings, which drove the original demonic inhabitants away and settled in. The current lord of the island is known as Byleif the Blitzer, a very generous king, ring-giver and friend to all his subjects. One day, a mysterious man claiming to be a missionary appears with his troll companion. As Byleif welcomes the visitor he is attacked and the cog that steals the island afloat stolen from him. Fearful for his brother Tymor the Trickster, Byleif orders his two skilled servant to chase the mysterious missionary who is heading for the island of Bjarmaland, the realm of the wounded gods...

Alex and Adva are attacked during the trip towards Bjarmaland and ends up in the Outyards, the realm of the giants. Traversing over the icy regions of Huldraful, the realm of the elementals and the volcano Mt Muspel the couple finally arrives in Bjarmaland. After making it to the stronghold of Sigtrygg Bursdotter, leader of the wounded gods, they are captured and tested to prove their worth. Seeing that both Alex and Adva are capable fighters they are told to go to the Iron Wood marshes and retrieve a tooth from the great wolf that lives there. It turns out the missionary has stolen the axe of the thunder god and holed himself up in a dwarven mine. What in the world is the man up to!?

...Aaaand that is pretty much the story at the moment. I have a few more set-pieces, but the story that binds them together is not 100% set in stone yet and may change as the game continues to develop.

SECTION D: SETTING AND/OR WORLD DEVELOPMENT

• Grangård is a world inspired by norse mythology. It was created from the corpse of a giant by four gods and then settled in by many mysterious creatures such as dwarves, jackalopes and even humans. It consists of three main regions:
      The Vinland Archipelago, where Beluga and Bjarmaland is located. It is a place of calm seas and little islands. Other islands of note (although we will not visit them in the game) is Särkland (where Seymour is from) and the fort of Hålogoland (Where Adva is originally from).
      The Belly Continent. The only mainland large enough to be called a continent it was made from the slain giants belly. The inner parts of it consists of dark jungles and mountains and is still largely unexplored.
      Danjernavia. A very dangerous sea to the south that is always stormy, the islands filled with adventure and treasures. Every viking worth his or her salt comes her to make a name for him/herself. If you have read One Piece, this is pretty much the Grand Line equivalent.

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS

A video of the first ten minutes of the game. Please note that in the video I use items and change characters from the menu. In the demo below you do everything with a simple button press.
    [​IMG]
    Map of Bjarmaland
    [​IMG]
    Concept art of the wounded gods. From left to right:
    Storkr, Tymor, Sigtrygg and Klev.

DOWNLOAD LINK

Controls

A button jumps
    Q and W buttons is used to switch between Alex and Adva
    Z button examines stuff, talks to characters and makes choices in the menu
    X button opens/closes the menu
    M and N buttons opens the inventory
    Shift button Runs

Credits
    Please note that all of these are subject to change as I get more custom resources, and are obviously placeholders at the moment. Also, not all of them is used in this demo!

Falcao Pearl's ABS script (as well as the sprites and sounds that comes with it)
    Galvs jumping script
    FenixFyreX Stair movement

Byleif face and battle sprite by by madhattermonster

Firecave, graveyard tilesets and Smith sprites by whtdragon
    Elementals by Chalkdust
    Bear sprite by JynxedOnes
    Owl sprite by LastLaugh’s
    3 D Paralax and cricketsounds background by BustedEd
    Seymour face by Polawat Darapong
    Tymor Face Connie Cartwright
    Wolf sprite Minnow
    Wolf face soruve
    Bear face Sevarihk
    Vincent Sprite by Themo
    Face sprite by Henrik Magnusson
    Sewer tileset by nicnubill

Every other custom sprite, sound, etc by me

Cutscenes created in Garrys mod with Half-Life, Team Fortress 2 and Overwatch assets
    Sounds from Zelda and Crash Bandicoot

Mint Bunny faceset made by Imperial-France edited by gmestanley
    Sprite by Maiko's rabbits at FSM from Apprentice Geisha

Alex and Adva faces Made by capraqueen edits by Oozart
    Sprite by Plueschkatze

Music by Eric Matyas

Have fun!

2. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    I have decided my game for the one map ten events challenge here since it takes place in the same world and has a variation of the main gameplay elements.

Dauðra Dura
    (Doors of the dead)

SECTION A: SYNOPSIS
    • His home village attacked by a giant ogre, driven from his home and out of options a young rabbit heads for Helgafjell, the abode of the dead...
    • This is a gaiden game of sorts for a norse fantasy rpg called Alex and Adva that I am currently working on. After having people playtest that one it became obvious that I needed to finetune the usage of spells and buffs a little bit to make them fun to use. To make sure the game did not get to big in scope I decided to make it a entry for the one map event! Please be aware that this is an action rpg using a custom version of Pearl's ABS script. It is not really combat-focused (there are only two battles, one of them optional) but emphasizes exploration and using tools to overcome puzzles. The genre is suspense/horror and hopefully a good little character-building tale in the faraway land of norse myth!

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DOWNLOAD LINK

• Swiftdale
      [​IMG]
      A young Skosven (servant) to the local lord, he seeks his father's magic to help against the invading ogres.
    • Alex
      [​IMG]
      A mighty magician that died long ago, and Swiftdale's father. Will he still be able to help?

• After having his hometown attacked by ogres Swiftdale has no other choice. He must go to Helgafjell, the abode of the dead and seek his father's magic. Will Swiftdale make it down from the mountain cold in time to stop the ogres or will his bravery leave him, and the dead take him?

• This game takes place after the main game I am currently working on (Alex and Adva). It is set in a comedic world based on norse mythology called Granngård.

Controls

Z interacts with objects
    X Opens the menu
    A Jumps
    M opens the spell and item menu

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  3. VioletSpark

VioletSpark Launcher of a Thousand Ships Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This certainly stands out from the usual crowd of games!

The one big glaring hey wait a minute I have about it is, I don't know how to pronounce anything. (There's so many letters that don't exist in English, or if they do, they can't be put together like that.)
    I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I like to be able to talk about the games I like. That's just me personally though.

Canini likes this.
  4. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Hmm, yes, that is definately something to consider. The spelling is of course meant to invoke old norse, but I totally see how it can be troublesome. The titel of the game will be in english (Alex and Adva) but perhaps the place names such as Granngård etc can be "anglicased" further.

VioletSpark likes this.
  5. VioletSpark

VioletSpark Launcher of a Thousand Ships Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As long as you don't mind Anglophones calling it 'Granngard,' or your other game, 'Daudra Dura.' Which might be completely incorrect . . .

Canini likes this.
  6. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To weigh in on the language thing, it may very well be best to Anglicise the spelling as much as possible. Considering Old Norse's closest modern language is Icelandic and there's only 300,000 or so Icelanders, it's a safe bet to say that not many people are going to be familiar with Iceland/Norse diacritics, or letters like eth and thorn since they've completely fallen out of use in English. Using the Norse forms might give your game a certain feel you're going for, but I honestly don't see the problem with switching it to Dauthra Dura, for example. It might be less Nordic, but you can convey that through the design of the world itself, the cultures within it and the art direction, and though Anglicising it might make it less Nordic it might also make it more "yours", if that makes sense? Like a personal touch, almost. It'll help people feel more at home while playing your game and not feeling like they have to look up an Icelandic pronunciation guide just to understand the world. Just my two cents, as a fan of Norse myth and a learner of Icelandic! You do what works for you, but in this case I think increasing the appeal to a wider range of people (especially for those who might speak English as a second language in the first place) will help discussion of your game and immersion while not taking much away. After all, Skyrim didn't need to use eth and thorn to convey its Nordic feel, and if there's one thing Skyrim absolutely succeeded at it was nailing the setting. I'm sure you'll be able to as well, if you focus on the right things and put the work in where it's needed.

Canini likes this.
  7. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    No, that actually works pretty well. I might go even farther and just name the world Grangard, but I don´t know if that invokes any images whatsoever for the audience.

Thanks for your thoughts @onipunk

Something not noted above is that the characters are completely silent. Since I am emulating the Mario and Luigi games I want the characters personalities to be displayed through facial expressions and gestures. I also tend not to name that many places in the narrative of the game itself. Names like Grangard, Bjarmaland etc will mostly be used in the manual/backstory and story set in this universe. However, a few of my playtesters feel that there should be more exposition about the world in the game itself. Is the story as presented above of any value/interest in an action-rpg? I don´t know how much I should be "sticking to my guns" in this case...

VioletSpark likes this.
  8. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Oh yes, I completely forgot to add this survey to this thread. After trying it out it would be really helpful if you could answer these questions as honestly as possible. You can send it to me in a PM!

When did you stop playing the demo, and why? If you stopped before the demo ended, what could it have done to maintain your interest?

What glitches (if any) did you encounter?

One thing you would like to change about the game? What would you like to see improved before playing an updated demo?

Were there any mechanics that you had trouble with? If so, what about them caused the trouble?

Were there any fun parts of the game you would like to see more of?

Was the storyline good/easy to follow? Did you get a good grip on the main characters even if they did not speak?

Did you use Alex or Adva more, or about equally?

If you used Alex more, why? What would have made you use Adva more?

If you used Adva more, why? What would have made you use Alex more?

Other thoughts:

9. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Alex and Adva (second demo)
    Hello again!
    I have recently completed the second demo of the Alex and Adva game. I have tried to iron out all of the bugs, listened to criticism from those on this forum and elsewhere that have been kind enough to playtest the game. Big props to the "Let's Play / Live Stream Hub" subforum, I would never have expected so many willing to try out my game!
    That said I want to make it perfectly clear that this is still a pretty rough prototype. Polished a bit, but largely still throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks. The presentation below will only detail what have been changed. The OP still have most of the information about the game as a whole.

SECTION A: GAMEPLAY MECHANICS
    • A new ability for Alex, a magical talisman called Blindi. With it he can blind enemies and make it easier to take them out with his fire spells.
    • Adva can now jump and turn corners while holding her shield up, making it more useful.

• [​IMG]
      Byleif the Blitzer is the chieftain of the island that Alex and Adva live on. He sends them on their mission to find the mysterious person that has stolen the cog that steers the island. He is a well-meaning but not to clever individual with a perchent for getting beat up by wacky misunderstandings.
    • [​IMG]
      Tymor the Trickster is the brother of Byleif and the chief spy of Sigtrygg, queen of Bjarmaland. Just like Byleif he was fooled by the mysterious missionary who has made off with one of Slainhall Tower's most prized possessions. He particularly likes to make fun of the serious-minded Adva who can´t stand his tomfoolery.
    • [​IMG]
      Klev Sigtryggson is the son of Sigtrygg Bursdotter, queen of Bjarmaland. He is the god of thunder, but recently his magical axe was stolen, so he cannot make storms anymore. HE TENDS TO BE VERY LOAD AND BLUSTERY!! But he is not very sure of himself. So he tends to trail off...
    • [​IMG]
      The wolf is a mysterious being that lives in the iron swamp to the south. What is is relation to the mysterious priest and Bjarmaland at large? He seems to know Tymor but his greatest rivalry lies with Alex, who he regards as a weak and foolish man. People also seems to think that he is an actual wolf for some reason...

• After making it down from Mt Muspel and reaching the capital of Bjarmaland, they find that it has been attacked by giants. They are instructed by the queen of Bjarmaland to go to the iron woods to find the wolf. The wolf is a powerful being that can help them break into the dwarven mines that the missionary has holed himself up into. Alex and Adva is on the case! Now if only that trickster spirit and his kids would stop bothering them...

The three new areas in this demo are:
    • The field of deeds. This is a fertile greenland between the snowy outyards to the north and the dark and bleak iron woods to the south. The main problems with navigating it lies in the fierce that flows all over the place.
    • Slainhall Towers. The capital of Bjarmaland and the high seat of its queen Sigtrygg. It is normally a land of great glory and commerce inhabitated by all kind of fantastic creatures, but now it is merely a ruin of its former self.
    • The iron woods. A dismal swamp to the south filled with powerful creatures. It acts as a prison for those that Sigtrygg does not want near the rest of Bjarmaland. And now Alex and Adva must go there to find the wolf...

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS

Prototype for a minigame.
    [​IMG]
    The two main characters and the logo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DOWNLOAD LINK

Controls

A button jumps
    Q and W buttons is used to switch between Alex and Adva
    Z button examines stuff, talks to characters and makes choices in the menu
    X button opens/closes the menu
    M and N buttons opens the inventory
    Shift button Runs

Credits
    Please note that all of these are subject to change as I get more custom resources, and are obviously placeholders at the moment. Also, not all of them is used in this demo!

Falcao Pearl's ABS script (as well as the sprites and sounds that comes with it)
    Galvs jumping script
    FenixFyreX Stair movement

Byleif face and battle sprite by by madhattermonster

Firecave, graveyard tilesets and Smith sprites by whtdragon
    Elementals by Chalkdust
    Bear sprite by JynxedOnes
    Owl sprite by LastLaugh’s
    3 D Paralax and cricketsounds background by BustedEd
    Seymour face by Polawat Darapong
    Tymor Face Connie Cartwright
    Wolf sprite Minnow
    Wolf face soruve
    Bear face Sevarihk
    Vincent Sprite by Themo
    Face sprite by Henrik Magnusson
    Sewer tileset by nicnubill

Every other custom sprite, sound, etc by me

Cutscenes created in Garrys mod with Half-Life, Team Fortress 2 and Overwatch assets
    Sounds from Zelda and Crash Bandicoot

Mint Bunny faceset made by Imperial-France edited by gmestanley
    Sprite by Maiko's rabbits at FSM from Apprentice Geisha

Alex and Adva faces Made by capraqueen edits by Oozart
    Sprite by Plueschkatze

Music by Eric Matyas

Have fun!

10. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Canini, your game looks interesting. If you have questions, I will answer. I do not anything wrong and I do not judge until it updates or finished.

Canini likes this.