RMMZ ALEX - Rebuild Thy Paradise (Touch The Stars Jam!)

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A.L.E.X.
Banner.png
countdown to launch.jpg

Rebuild Thy Paradise
Resettle The Planet
Retire This Pun

u think u know.jpg
ALEX : Rebuild Thy Paradise is a weird and ungainly and hopefully also fun, cool, and interesting hybrid of (anti-) traditional JRPG and Colony Sim. What happens when the four destined heroes chosen by the crystal fail to save the world from the BBEG? ALEX: Rebuild Thy Paradise is what happens!

stairway.jpg

Initially set on the familiar JRPG fantasy world of "Terra", ALEX immediately starts where most JRPGs end, with a fully leveled up and powered up party confronting their fated cosmic nemesis. Things take a dark turn for the unexpected, and when "saving the world" is no longer on the table, our surviving heroes under the guidance of Immortal Dog Genius and technocrat/master artificer TURBO need to save everyone they can, by taking them from the cataclysm-doomed world of Delamort to find a new home in the stars.

2x1.jpg
But 256 years later when our cryogenically frozen heroes arrive on Planet Nova 2 their cargo of refugees, they discover that strange world to be not without its dangers and its challenges, as well as the mystery of the structures left behind by its missing inhabitants. The ancient human bioweapon A.L.E.X. -- Artificial Lifeform (for) Exploration & Xenocide -- genetically engineered from an ancient Light Warrior Hero from Terra's ancient past might be just what they need to turn the tide. Explore the ruins, research ancient technologies, and build a new colony to Resettle The Planet and Rebuild Thy Paradise!

2x2.jpg

1626997928956.png

Touch The Stars Jam unfinished alpha 0.01 Build Download Link!

Devlog/Blather About This Janky Pre-Alpha Release
The present build of ALEX is probably kind of a hot mess. I'm happy with the level of polish I achieved on the content that is there and the aesthetics and the writing, I think it's a good slice of what I'm going for, but it's no where near finished so I don't expect it to win any prizes (only the very beginning of the tech tree is working and even then only kind of, it's possible and in fact way too easy to run out of Ore if you don't build your starting buildings in the exact right order which you'd need to be either me or psychic to know, stealing doesn't presently work right, under a quarter of the Nova world/planet map is set up, and the second two thirds of the story just aren't there, one you've cleared all five of the bunkers in the first area in Chapter 2 you've basically done all the gameplay there is).

Note: this throws a one-time missing file error ("Background 01") when you load it but it is playable after that and I haven't noticed any other missing. Generally speaking, this is a hot mess that's barely been playtested in its current iteration so please expect all kinds of non-critical things to be broken!

P.S. I legally own and have the rights to use commerically all of the audio and graphical assets and plugins included in ALEX: RTP. I need to compile a list of credits and it is a high priority after I actually finish this game, if and when I finish this game, and/or if this gets any attention or traction at all!

Important-Ish:

I don't own RPG Maker MZ and can't see being able to afford it at any point in the foreseeable future, so if you like this project and it's something you'd like to see finished, tell me now! Your enthusiasm might motivate me to try to finish this game in the week or so I have left with the Jam trial version of RPG Maker MZ! So let me know if you are stoked on this project and you raise the chances of this being finished while I still have access to the MZ Engine from impossible to unlikely!

2x1.jpg

Even! More! Screenshots!
biomech scav.jpgcharming host.jpggenericon.jpggrieve later.jpghot in here.jpgobligatory airship.jpgparticle fx.jpgplus x.jpgtek tree.jpgbcleared.jpg

Any questions, crew?

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Just looking at these screen shots gives me all kinds of little ideas I could do to improve my games. I'll have to try yer game as soon as I can!

Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Huh, your overworld map has alot of similar concepts to what ive been planning (im basing it on Dynasty Tactics, an obscure diamond of a game imo). Also, i love the font you use, so many overlook that aspect and im often immediately turned off by it.

And R.T.P while using (mostly) RTP :p

TheGentlemanLoser

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for your kind words guys!

I totally used the sample maps for everything on the world of Terra at the "beginning" (which because this build is so unfinished, account for between 2/3rds and 3/4ths of the jam release). I mean, I tweaked the parts you're able to see on the world map especially, adding in the space elevator (which appears as a "Rainbow Bridge" to the sky and is called the "Stairway To Heaven" but is nothing other than a space elevator) but these are for the most part literally the MZ sample maps. I did this as an intentional artistic decision, not out of laziness/a desire to focus my most intense effort on things other than mapping. "Terra" is very much "RTP Land", it's why I left so much of the default database in place even though I kind of hate it. The things I really hated I let myself change.

It occurred to me after typing all of this that you probably meant the Nova map with all of the resource gathering and construction sites and bunkers and the whole JRPG/Colony Sim thing! I've been thinking about this kind of hybrid game at least since I found these great resources on OGA.

The world map of Nova, the "second" world/planet map, also uses an MZ sample map but this one I predict will be edited far past the point of recognizability. All the other maps in the game will be "custom" (kind of too fancy a word for me to use for just making my own maps like a normal person but eh) I just did the fantasy thing with Terra because I wanted it to feel like the most generic JRPG fantasy setting ever to lull the players into a false sense of security ("I've seen this many times before...") and then the whammy of whoa wait now we have Immortal Dogs and Space Elevators and Genetic Engineering and Cybernetic Augmentations and you're calling down airstrikes and little RM2k Alex is now a vat-grown bioweapon and whaaaaaa? That is what I was going for, anyway.

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@TheGentlemanLoser I played up to chapter 2 and stopped since I realized it was already reaching the one hour mark:

+ I like the little rocket ship pointer for the title screen.
+ I do appreciate the choice between a quick start that lets you skip the prologue and the option to watch it regardless! Player freedom and such.
+ The glowing cloud effects in the first area are cool, and so are the steam effects in the volcano.
+ Enemies with visible HP bars are absolutely a plus from me. The exact number of HP is a bonus.
+ I appreciate that there are no random encounters and the enemies are on the screen.
+ The effect when enemies disappear upon death is pretty sick, not gonna lie.
+ The blood effects when Delamort kills your guys is a nice touch.
+ The effect of the hat falling off of Kasey is rather nice looking... and so is the character being tiny on the overworld when you're out of the castle
+ I like robots, and Xerxes qualifies. The laser eye for his normal attack is badass.
+ The Imperial Ruiner and the guards look cool! Are they custom or am I that unfamiliar with RPG Maker MZ assets?
+ The twist of "let's just leave to space" is brilliant, not gonna lie. More details below.
+ Oooh, the city builder/RTS aspects finally kicked in. This is extremely ambitious, and I would have liked to see this better developed in its own game.
+ The battle music when you fight enemies on other planets is a certified jam. What's it called?

+/- I feel there's a bit too much explaining when it comes to traditional RPG tropes. Like "oh we're medieval because... uh. Technology didn't advance properly." or "we can't use the revival item on them because they're like, red goo now." The latter I do agree needs touching on if the story is more serious and involves death, but I can't shake that odd feeling.

+/- Oh is this the "joke opening" you mentioned in your status post all that time ago? I'm astonished you actually did something with it and wasn't just some one-off remark. But oh boy... I absolutely have Mixed Thoughts about this.

So! I like the idea of making fun of RPG tropes, especially the more outdated ones like the super long exposition text scroll... but this execution falls pretty flat for me. It feels like a largely serious effort as there's a lot of emphasis on worldbuilding, yet the only nods we get that it might be satirical comes in two forms: the ridiculous looking part where you see a jumbled mish-mash of assets and the rather unsubtle "not like the other games" bit right at the end.

As strange as it sounds, it just feels like The Exact Thing You Are Parodying and not really... a joke? I feel if you really wanted to go for the ironic aspect you'd speed up the text to max so even if you're just reading it's hard to catch up. Then I would cut the text scroll and the music by the time the Odin bit ends, make the screen fade to black and have Turbo show up and say:

"Wait. You didn't come here for lore. You came for action! You came to see the Four Heroes guided by the Super Important Magic Crystals defeat the Demon Lord, as you normally do. Who cares about all this nonsense if it doesn't have to do with the 'now', right? That said... expect the unexpected."

Like "This sounds familiar to something you've seen before - you couldn't be more wrong" sounds rather loaded and presumptuous even if you do have a unique twist later on, because why not just let the twist speak for itself when it actually happens?

- I got this error when I booted up, but the game worked fine afterwards.

- UM. Is the game supposed to start up with save files already there? Because I saw HawkZombie play it on stream earlier today and he also had the same quirk to his install of the game.

- Maybe cut Delamort's HP barrier for the first form by half or less, since it's just kind of a "nothing happening" fight until he decides to go Super Final Boss Mode. Like I feel it would be better timed if he decided to cut the crap by turn two.

- The zoom around the continent when you get on the ship feels rather odd and unnecessary.

- Why are Elmer and Kasey so underleveled compared to the rest of their crew? You'd think they'd both: be wearing their optimal equipment (aka. the mithril rod is better than what she has going into the FINAL BATTLE) and be level 30 at least. Is this so they don't break the part of the game that isn't this?

- OOPS. I could also walk into one of the blue torches back in the Delamort room.

- "As a matter of general principal" feels very clunky and the sentence would work much better without it.

- There's no music after the ship shows up and bobs around like someone had too much of the drink. I feel it'd be more impactful if it just went through the sky in a straight line.

- Turbo talks too much, honestly. It feels like he could summarize most of what he says in a few sentences. I get that his trope is "super genius that engages in technobabble" but a fair amount of it just drags out the scene, especially if you had to read it out loud. In fact I think it'd be funnier if he was just super blunt and got annoyed when the humans didn't understand what he meant right away, forcing him to banter with them.

- The guys talk quite a bit for what is effectively "wow it's hot in here, let's move".

- The Imperial Ruiner has Too Much HP for what is effectively an enemy that can two-shot you if it gets all of its buffs off. Even with Elmer's super overpowered limit skill, the fight still trucked on for quite a bit longer than it needed.

- ... Oh my god the SHIP. I... do not like how it looks - it's just a random mish-mash of clashing assets.
- Some of the bio and skill text is cut off. Like ALEX's just ends abruptly.

Very ambitious and rather fun, but also quite a few mixed thoughts from me. You do a lot of things well, and I know comedy is subjective but... I dunno, the game feels all over the place. The parody aspect feels weak especially after the meat of the gameplay (the city builder aspect) comes into effect.

I'll admit: I am a sucker for playing around with tropes, and the whole "welp, the heroes lost so we might as well pack up and go to other planets am I right?" is brilliant since it's an apocalypse scenario that doesn't end with a depressingly nihilistic ending, but it feels a bit cheap and tacked on since the rest of the game is Technomagic City Builder Sim 2021.

If you built the game as just a space travel sim where you have to mine planets for Star Shaped Macguffins Because Plot, I feel that would be a stronger game overall.

Like imagine how cool it would be if we already started off as space pilots who bio-engineered supersoldiers based off of ancient Chosen Heroes. You'd force them to brave through harsh locations no sane person would ever go to for the sake of providing resources for your implied-apocalypse survivors. Maybe also some cheeky gratitude here and there from the people. But you know, that's just me - I'll probably take that for myself to keep.

Boss balancing is a bit gross since they're HP sponges that can smash you to pieces with little effort, but otherwise fighting enemies is a good time.

I wish you luck for your future endeavors! :LZScheeze:

Last edited:

TheGentlemanLoser

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
- Turbo talks too much, honestly. It feels like he could summarize most of what he says in a few sentences. I get that his trope is "super genius that engages in technobabble" but a fair amount of it just drags out the scene, especially if you had to read it out loud. In fact I think it'd be funnier if he was just super blunt and got annoyed when the humans didn't understand what he meant right away, forcing him to banter with them.

Part of this was definitely me working out through the dialogue how exactly all of this is supposed to work for my own benefit.

- The Imperial Ruiner has Too Much HP for what is effectively an enemy that can two-shot you if it gets all of its buffs off. Even with Elmer's super overpowered limit skill, the fight still trucked on for quite a bit longer than it needed.

Did you try blinding him? Either Elmer's 'Eye Gouge' or Kasey's 'Blind' makes him suck at actually hitting you. This isn't Final Fantasy where all bosses, AKA all enemies worth using a status effect on are immune to all status effects. : )

Thank you all for all the feedback btw I will come back and do a proper point by point (or at least more thorough than this quick one-off post) reply in a little bit, probably not more than a few days.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So got my hearing tested to see if it was the cause of my mishearing what people say. Test showed no problems but talked with the doctor about anxiety and ADHD causing hearing issues and she agreed and also added that some people hear things differently. With my anxiety cause I am in fight or flight I pay attention to all the sounds in the area so body knows when react. Can't pay attention to one source.
Welp, people are trying to quit my team because I can't code. Where's the dancing blob emoji when I need it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BearsWithHooves