Alexandria

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Wyrdist, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Wyrdist

Wyrdist LSDemon Member

First Language:
    English

[​IMG]

"While not an individual world, the common name is associated with that of a realm consisting of multiple planes of being, one dependent on the other with each having boundaries that do not seek to conform with those of mankind"

Précis...

Decades ago,

a group of curious explorers ventured to the Ancient Ruin of Inyaa. Only expecting to find the derelict home to a long gone civilization, these men had come across a stone. They were quick to assume that their discovery was only one of a kind and extremely rare in it's worth. After transporting it back to their hometown, they realized that this stone was the farthest thing from a common treasure. The stone had an unexplainable power to put whoever exposes themselves to it's mysterious radiance in contact with what they assumed were Gods. After these claims, the rock was dubbed "Mother Mercury" by those who had heard of it's capabilities. Those with dark and corrupted minds however, would experience happenings that were much more horrifying. They reported sightings of nightmarish demons and other sinister figures. This would cause mass amounts of people across the world to go insane, whether it was directly from their experience with the stone, or from complete shock that such things could happen to people. Not long after, those with mastery of Cosmic Arts found out ways to manipulate people with the use of illusions, claiming that said illusions were avatars sent by the Gods themselves. This would only cause more corruption among other people. The use of Cosmic Arts in this way would go on to be called "Art of Ragnorak".

In the midst of the chaos

that was stirred all these years ago, two feuding cults emerged based on their opposing beliefs of Mother Mercury's origin and intended purpose. The two being the "Saturnine" and the "Magisters". One night, while members of the Saturnine were in the middle of conducting their usual private research, a break in occurs in their main building. Two cultists, Oran Saderos and Kilzan Vivette, witness this while on their post and go to investigate the disturbance.

Your experience of a strange, fantastical setting begins here...

Playable Characters...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]Kilzan Vivette, the Radiant Shifter

Weapon Type: Zodiac Type

Range: Long

A renown combat medic that is a member the cult known as the Saturnine. While Kilzan was assigned to be the assistant of fellow cultist Oran Saderos, the two have developed a brother and sister-type relationship as a result of their time spent working with each other.

While Kilzan isn't as physically capable as her peers, she has unparalleled knowledge in combat tactics. She wields the Zodiac Type in combat, which gives her a significant boost in cosmic power. Kilzan's extensive knowledge as well as her uniquely designed Cosmic Arts make her an exceptional fighter and a worthy asset to the Saturnine.

[​IMG]Oran Saderos, the Edge Tamer

Weapon Type: Swords

Range: Close

A well-mannered, reliable Enforcer and consultant for the Saturnine who, while on patrol, shares his usual guarding post with Kilzan Vivette. After patrolling together for such a long time, these two would develop an unbreakable bond, making her one of the few people that Oran can view with respect and label as his friend.

Oran is a skilled swordsman and well rounded fighter with the "Quick Run" ability, which allows to him to break into a fast sprint while on the ground. While incapable of using magic based attacks, this adept swordsman can easily chain together his array of Omega Arts for devastating combos.

[​IMG]Reala Vanderyt, the Astromancer

Weapon Type: Staves

Range: Versatile

A young girl from Port Yvell with a severe case of wanderlust. Reala has taken a deep interest in the Art of Astromancey and has been studying this ancient technique for a month. She is also childhood friends with Tajh Antoni.

In battle, Reala has few Omega Arts and is primarily a user of Cosmic Arts and is also one of a few playable characters that are capable of healing multiple party members by a significant amount. While not only showing potential with her powerful selection of Arts, Reala possesses the "Air Dash" ability, which allows her briefly glide through the air, which is an extremely useful evasive maneuver.

[​IMG]Tajh Antoni, the Naught's Ballista

Weapon Type: Revolvers

Range: Long

Being born and raised in Port Yvell, Tajh can be characterized as a nonchalant, greedy teenager. The boy however, has been known to shift gears and become very persistent and strong-willed when he has his efforts focused on something that he deems important to him. Tajh considers Reala Vanderyt his best and only friend. These two go just about everywhere together and seem to be almost inseparable and would do anything for each other.

In combat, Tajh wields a revolver, making most of his attacks long range and not as strong as those of his allies. Even with this primarily ranged fighting style, he still has a good number of close ranged Omega Arts that pack more of a punch. Tajh has the "Air Dodge" ability, which allows him to double jump, which helps perform some of his Arts that are designed to be performed mid-air while keeping a safe distance from a target.

Combat Mechanics...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This game will be using Moghunter's Linear Motion Battle System. Since it was made by him and only uses Scene_Battle, I have plenty of room to add more to the combat, seeing as how it's been compatible with just about everything I've thrown at it. Also, I must note that I plan on this being an a rather difficult game. This may or may not take you multiple attempts (especially in the beginning) to get used to a new challenge.

Each character has only 100 Mana Points, which are used for that character's Arts. The amount of MP a character has does NOT change upon leveling them up, but can be increased a small amount by equipping certain Gears with passive abilities.When you're out of MP, you are only limited to a generic attack. This was intentionally set up like this as a way to prevent spamming on parts of the game that are intended to be difficult (like a boss fight). To prevent the player from being hopeless or having to use an item when out of MP, taking damage will restore a small amount of MP per hit.

The characters will have a TP Meter that will fill up when either taking or dealing damage. When you have sufficient TP, you will be able to equip and perform certain Arts that are more useful (sometimes situational) than your other Arts. Another feature involving the use of TP are the character's Shadow Arts. These are each character's most powerful Arts and require large amounts of TP. To pull these off, simply use a certain ability while having sufficient TP and it will automatically chain after the attack.

Terminology...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Omega Arts - Special attacks used by characters that aren't magic based and don't require any time to cast before using them

Cosmic Arts - Magic based attacks. They consume more Mana than Omega Arts and require time to cast. The name comes from the ancient belief that these abilities are influenced by the power of the universe and the Gods themselves

Art of Astromancey - An ancient method of learning and performing Cosmic Arts. This is the most commonly accepted and efficient method of performing these god-like feats

Art of Ragnorak - While this is very similar to that of Astromancey, this technique involves the use of nightmares and what some consider to be illusions. The more corrupt the user, the more powerful their Arts become

Port Yvell - A port located on a small island. This is the only town on this island and is home to Reala Vanderyt and Tajh Antoni. Yvell thrives off of it's advantage of not only having a common transport method, but it's diverse geography gives it's inhabitants access to a wide variety of resources

Ancient Ruin of Inyaa - An ancient and obscure city that was populated at an unknown point in the past. It is commonly mentioned in folklore to have had very abstract spiritual practices and rituals. After Mother Mercury's discovery, the city has become a subject of mystery and debate

Saturnine - One of the cults that formed after Mother Mercury's controversy. They believe that the stone was formed by protectors of Inyaa and cursed by a Shaman as a way to protect the city from greedy travelers with a potentially dangerous intent

Magisters - The second cult that arose from Mother Mercury's discovery. These people support the idea that the stone generated in the depths space through the will of the Gods, and that it was sent to their planet as a means of contact between them and whoever was "lucky" enough to stumble across the mysterious rock. To the Magisters, this served as a crucial piece of evidence that the Gods haven't given up them, as this is widely speculated

Visuals (Scenes)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Visuals (Combat)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Features...

Combat

- Moghunter's Linear Motion Battle System

-Unique Desperation Moves

-Enemy HUD

- Moghunter Bonus Gauge

-Non-restricted Combo System

Other

-Moghunter Weather EX

- Khas Pixel Movement

- Khas Light Effects

- Quack Character Afterimages

- Zeus Map Effects

-RPG Maker MV Battlebacks

- XS Message System

-XS Map Hud

Disclaimer...

I apologize for this topic looking unappealing or if I did this wrong, as I don't use forums. If there is something I can do better on, please tell me. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Bura likes this.
  2. beenbaba

beenbaba Slowly getting there Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ah I haven't seen a game use the LMBS yet, MOGhunters right? Look forward seeing how it turns out :D

This looks interesting so far, I'll keep an eye on it.

One thing though, you could increase the font size for your post, it may be a bit small for some people :)

3. Wyrdist

Wyrdist LSDemon Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for your feedback, man. Yeah, it is the LMBS by Moghunter (which is the best one I've seen on any version of RPG Maker) and I've only seen maybe two or three videos on YouTube with people actually using it. It's surprisingly simple and a lot of battle scripts go well with it. Thanks for the tip about the font BTW. Fixing right away.

4. taistelusopuli

taistelusopuli Your Friendly Neighborhood Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    The screeshots seem a bit dark. Is that meant to be so? I understand the night shots but the others too?

The premise of the story seems great!

5. Wyrdist

Wyrdist LSDemon Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for what you said about the story. Still working everything out though. As for the screenshots, I just set the standard "Dark" tint on every battle. This was simply because the default lighting looked repulsive in my opinion. I later realized that the overall ugliness was due to me using the default battlebacks which were stretched out, making them look

pixelated. I'll go back and adjust it ASAP.

UPDATE

New screenshots which include

• New HUD
    • Bonus Gauge Feature (Nicknamed "Soul Crush")
    • Yanfly's Passive States
    • RPG Maker MV Battlebacks

Other New Features Include

• Zeus Map Effects
    • Quack Character Afterimages (Will be used selectively and not for the Player)

6. Bura

Bura Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    The battle system looks amazing! It really does look like it will be hard to beat those monsters.

7. Wyrdist

Wyrdist LSDemon Member

First Language:
    English

Thanks. After playing the Kingdom Hearts Remixes and fighting every boss there was, it gave me an appreciation for extremely difficult games. I mean, too easy is never fun... For me at least

8. The_Trinity

The_Trinity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just absolutely love the Tales series LMBS, this looks like it'll be alot of fun to play once its finished!

9. Wyrdist

Wyrdist LSDemon Member

First Language:
    English

Yeah. I'm surprised that I haven't seen more people using this. It's actually easier to figure out than XAS

10. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    Now the battle screens look sooooo much better :)

11. Wyrdist

Wyrdist LSDemon Member

First Language:
    English
    UPDATE

• More up to date screenshots
    • I added a video (which isn't that great) which shows how the combat looks (screenshots can only show so much). The characters in the video are extremely low leveled because showing all of their later moves before the game is finished is just asinine
    • While a minor "Limit Break" is shown in the video, I could use some kind of script/help in making them look more dynamic

12. beenbaba

beenbaba Slowly getting there Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Battle system looks really nice in the vid! Keep it up, it just keeps getting better the more I see [​IMG]

13. Wyrdist

Wyrdist LSDemon Member

First Language:
    English

Thanks. I'm just about ready to start working on a small demo. Might be done by the end of next week

14. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    Loved the video! There was some slight lag. Was it just the video or is it in the game?

15. Wyrdist

Wyrdist LSDemon Member

First Language:
    English

I actually think it was the forum. I was getting different results when switching from this site to YouTube. Thanks though

taistelusopuli likes this.
  16. Wyrdist

Wyrdist LSDemon Member

First Language:
    English
    Sadly, I'm still alive...       

UPDATES:

This Topic:

• Made revisions to the story in the first post (still a WIP, so some aspects may change in the future)
    • Better descriptions for the Playable Characters and better explained how they differ in combat
    • Also added Weapon Types, Age, and the range that the character is most effective with the character info
    • New Playable Character named "Kilzan Vivette"
    • Character's now have last names which were also added to the Playable Characters portion of the first post
    • Added an entirely new and updated collection of screenshots. I also added a much better video. Aside from this video, I want to limit the amount of footage that I "give away" during the development process. Wouldn't want to show you the entire game before it's finished, which is what most RPG Maker YouTubers make the mistake of doing.
    • Every in-game term in the first post now has a section with all of them being defined. They are also highlighted with separate colors so the more important terms visibly stand out

Graphical/Aesthetic:

• Modified face sets for Reala and Tajh that match their battler and over world sprites better (Tajh's face set now has brown skin with grey hair and Reala's hat is black and red, matching their sprites)
    • Replaced all battle backs with those from RPG Maker MV due to the normal VX Ace ones being too small with the LMBS, which would stretch and butcher them and make battle scenes look repulsive and amateurish
    • Yet another HUD. The previous one got on my nerves. This one has gradient bars with a decrease effect and is more colorful, while also being smaller and less distracting
    • Some Maps were updated with different Tile sets. Screenshots of them were either added or replaced the older version in the first post
    • XS Message System has been added, along with a Semi-Transparent Windowskin, which was found on the internet and modified by me.

Other:

• The project now has an official title, "Alexandria". The meaning behind this seemingly random title can be found at the beginning of the first post
    • You can't see this yet but I replaced the English voice clips with Japanese ones ("borrowed" from Tales of Symphonia). I did this because English voice acting from Kingdom Hearts (where I got the original clips) was entirely too obnoxious for me to work with

Before I can push out a demo, I need a title screen, so I'm going to have to request one from somewhere or make it myself (unlikely). When that finally gets taken care of, everything else can kind of fall into place. With that aside, any commentary on the new content in the first post would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2016
  17. Phonantiphon

Phonantiphon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Looks really interesting :)

Also, the second screenshot down in your OP, of the town scene, it has a tint to it that makes me Very Happy. :)

18. Wyrdist

Wyrdist LSDemon Member

First Language:
    English

Thanks for your interest! I also really like that tint. It's just soothing and gives me this "at home" vibe. I plan on giving every town different tints like that to make them stand out more. As unrealistic as it is to have a city where the sun never comes up, it seems like a good idea to me.

Phonantiphon likes this.
  19. Phonantiphon

Phonantiphon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You're welcome. 

I don't realism is an issue here, so long as it's believable it should be whatever you make it.

I personally think that's a nice idea.

20. zakattack1989

zakattack1989 Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    This game looks quite interesting I like the idea of MOGs LMBS (I also have this script) The story seems deep from what I've read, there is a meaning/reason behind everything and I like that. Would love to see a demo, I think this would be fun to play.