All attacks or Skills trigger a special spell attack?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Blair Pendragon, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Blair Pendragon

Blair Pendragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I was a bit disappointed when Counter Attack prevents all physical dmg taken. But that is ok, as I was wanting a completely different effect anyways, so what I'm now looking to do, is have a character who ALWAYS casts a unique offensive spell, after every basic normal attack, or offensive skill. (Though I'd actually like it if it went off on defensive skills/items too, but on a random enemy, and of course, fails to trigger when KOed, but id be ok if it went off even if KOed.)

The idea would be similar to how a pet would auto attack your target in an MMO, except this is a constant attached to every action you take, but like a pet, stops when you're KOed.

I tried to give the actor a State that would cause all actions to trigger another state (which would be damage) but it doesnt have an animation, and this isnt how that feature is meant to be used.
    Currently I can only think to use a comment event in every single battle, that checks to see if that party member is in the party, and if they are not KOed, then do dmg to a random enemy.
    But this would happen at the start of the round, rather than on her turn, wouldnt be effected by her stats, and more so her speed. (nor any debuffs on her as well.)

If I could make it as detailed as Id like, it would act like a 5th party member on a randomized behavior, technically have 2-3 different attacks, with an option to defend/parry for her, but only use her stats, rather than its own, and couldnt be targeted by the enemy, as its not an actual party member.

but thats going a bit too far, and simply having an attack that goes off when she acts offensively is fine, if not both offensively and defensively.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. lolshtar

lolshtar Master of Magic thatknow nospell Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Force Action after using the noted skill when dealing more than 1 damage

<Post-Damage Eval>

if (value >= 1) {

user.forceAction(skillID, -1);
    BattleManager.forceAction(user); }

</Post-Damage Eval>

3. Blair Pendragon

First Language:
    English
    Im a little confused, is this in the damage formula box for every skill?

4. lolshtar

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Notetag using Yanfly skill core

5. Blair Pendragon

First Language:
    English
    well then, i'll assume its not possible w/o a plugin. ^^;
    on a side note, I tried using force action in an event, and i cant ever get it to work, tried comment events, and making it trigger with just about every possible variation, and nothing seems to work.
    I have no idea how I make it work, much less how to manipulate it for anything i want.

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Blair Pendragon it can be done without a plugin, but that is not easy - I would also suggest a plugin if you have no problems with that.

It can be done without a plugin - force action either in troop events or in common events is the way to fo that. If you really want to do it that way, please post a screenshot of the event where you tried it and we can help ou find the problem.

But it won't be easy because both troop events and common events have their own restrictions that might interfere here - for example every skill can have only a single common event attached, and if you want more effects then you need to combine those common events. And in the case of troop events, you'll need to be tricky to identify skill user and skill target and a few other things.

7. Blair Pendragon

First Language:
    English
    @Andar
    Id be uploading like 30+ pictures, as I tried a lot of different combinations, as IDK how to actually use this feature.
    In the most simplest form, Id be ok with the common event to just check if they are in party, then ALWAYS every turn, trigger a unique spell they dont have on them, on a random enemy. (lets say they are a warrior, it would always trigger a fireball spell)
    Being a random target, and not triggering if they heal or something is all fine, just as long as it at LEAST triggers with them in the party, and isnt something they can activate on their own (since its coming from another source technically)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2016
  8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    one combination is enough for a start - and if you want a random attack whenever they are in the party, common events are the wrong way to go - better use a troop event for that.

(because common events need a skill to be triggered in battle, which means they're based on certain actions and not general)

and please don't quote an entire post for the answer, especially not if the post is directly above your answer - use @usernam instead, like I did with @Blair Pendragon

9. Blair Pendragon

First Language:
    English
    @Andar
    i removed the common event call, and here is the most simple version I could think to do.
    (including the option of when it triggers, such at battle, or moment. and i changed it from random target to last target, waiting till my next turn, to make sure it had a target)

forceaction1.jpg

10. lolshtar

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't know why you would make your life 100x harder when a plugin fixes everything you want to make. If l were to make CEs and branches with force actions everywhere in events for each unique ability my bosses do, l would never be done even 100 years later.

@Andar does like to make his life harder, that is for sure.

Of course, that is your choice.

11. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Blair Pendragon Condition "don't run" means "never execute this event" - that "run" has nothing to do with escaping, it comes from "to run a program".

You need to set a condition that applies every turn, then it will work. In your current setting, the engine doesn't even check the conditional branch but completely ignores that troop event.

@lolshtarthat has nothing to do with making life harde - there are a lot of cases where it is better not to use any plugin, and giving alternates that a developer can choose about is always better than forcing people to use specific plugins. As said that is the choice of the developer whether to use one way or the other.