kevin olsen

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
norwegan
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So all enemies deal 0 dmg, no matter what i do.

here are the stats for their basic attack (which does 0, while my heroes still deal dmg to them, and they use the exact same basic attack) it was a normal attack element when the problem happened, and tried changing to physical, but that didn't make a difference
Screenshot (110).png

here are the hero's defense value at the level of the issue (haven't tested other levels though)
Screenshot (111).png

here are the armor/clothing for the hero at that time.
Screenshot (112).png
here are the basic enemy's stats
Screenshot (113).png

here i have an example of a higher lvl enemy that also deals 0 dmg on basic, and ONLY deals dmg on special attacks which have the exact same dmg parameter with only 1 and 2 extra in atk modifier
Screenshot (114).png

any help is appreciated

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What plugins are you using?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
also, please show the full actor and class settings for the actor.
you might have given them a trait that changes the values.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Have you done anything with the damage formula settings on battle engine core?

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Does it still deal the erroneous amounts of damage if you have all plugins disabled?

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What about in a completely new project with all default settings?

kevin olsen

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
norwegan
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What about in a completely new project with all default settings?
hmm. i think i slightly figured it out... tried putting the enemy atk to 100 and then it dealt dmg, and then i tried to reduce the atk until i found the moment it reaches 0, which is 20 atk. no idea what happened earlier with the other enemies, but it's all working now, with all of them.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What was the actor's DEF originally?

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
28. 10 from cloth. no screenshots of the shield and hat's defense though.

20 atk * 5 = 100. class + cloth already 38 ( *2 = 76) if shield and hat give a combined total of 12 or more defense that would explain the 0 damage

Last edited:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ah, I missed the screenshot with the 28 DEF. But yeah, Tiamat's right. All you'd need is 12 def combined from the shield and hat to explain why this was happening.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
gotta be careful when making equipment stats when have several pieces that all add to the same stat.
the class and monster might have the same base stats but monster doesnt have equipment adding to stats so players can very easily end up with more then triple the amount

Corygon

Storyteller
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hmm, the typical damage formula of "DMG - DEF" can fluctuate wildly even if you add in a point or two of ATK or DEF. For a more controlled damage formula, I'd like to recommend the following plugin:Please note that you'll have to pay for the Battle Pack or the Full Collection to get access to this plugin. Also, please be sure to read the instructions thoroughly before use.

Hungry Moogle

A Rat in the Wall
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Personally, I find damage formulas based on Attack - Defense to be garbage. Its perfectly fine for games where the stat numbers are extremely low like Fire Emblem or the Paper Mario games. However, once you start with dealing numbers that go into triple digits or higher, then Attack - Defense just turns into a complete nightmare to balance, which why a lot of RPGs don't use basic subtraction for calculating damage. Pokemon for example uses this as its damage formula:

damage_formula.png
Note: A = Attack, D = Defense

As you can see, there's no subtraction used at all.

Unfortunately, finding an alternate damage formula isn't easy, speaking from my own personal experience, as creating a well-balanced damage formula that works with larger numbers requires some complex math to pull off.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

This was originally made for a "castle" challenge, but we just decided to keep it for our actual game :)

1632415929108.png
Would a simple item rarity plugin be useful to someone? Basically, you would set notetag to an item to set its rarity and it would change the text colour of the item.
Stuff that bothers me: When I answer resource requests and the people don't even bother to answer wheather that was what they needed or say thank you in any way.
I'm tempted to leave the Fight/Escape choice in the Boss Battle submission and make Escape pop up Nedry from Jurassic Park: "Uh uh unh!"
Is it weird that i feel overwhelmed from reading codes that i wrote few months ago? Lol.

I dont even know where to continue!:hsad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr_Petue