RMMV All IGMC2017 votes and results in a spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by ProGM, Dec 20, 2017.

1. ProGM

ProGM Villager Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hi guys!
    Since I'm a programmer and I always like to read data in cleaner ways, I created a simple crawler that collected all data from the IGMC2017 results and place the judge votes in a spreadsheet, to see the general results :D

Hopefully you can use it to grasp better how your game scored and compare it to other games.

I hope you can find it useful ^_^
    You can take a look to it here!

N.B. Data could be a bit messy, since I wrote the code in about 20 minutes. This data can be erroneous and should be used only to check general results of the contest in a cleaner way ^_^

2. luizcubas

luizcubas Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Pt-BR
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nice job @ProGM! Just a small note, I think there is no way we could know the order of the judges scores cause each time you refresh the result page, the order of the judges feedback changes.

3. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    &*@#, I did terrible.

4. ProGM

ProGM Villager Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @luizcubas I've taken it into account with my bot ^_^

However, news!!!
    I fixed a few wrong data and added score average and manually fixed a few errors (mostly: games disqualified or not matching the expression) :D :D

luizcubas likes this.
  5. Roden124

Roden124 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oof. Thanks to this, I found out I didn't even pass the screening. This happened last time too. Possibly the time before that, I don't remember. There's always next time! (◕ᴗ◕✿)

This is actually fine by me because I intended to remove my entry anyway, regardless of how well it did. The feedback I did see was positive, and I was able to glean invaluable information from what little constructive criticism there was. I hadn't even considered certain machines can struggle with script-heavy RPG Maker games, and now I have a solution to a problem I didn't know existed.

I didn't promote this game, so I had no expectations. I have a few guesses as to why it wasn't accepted, so I'll just assume they're all true!

In short, this sucks but that's okay. This contest did take a month off of my current project (which was already nearing completion,) but it's also going to take a month off of my next project, so everything evens out. :3

starlight dream, ProGM and luizcubas like this.
  6. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    At least my team got one vote lol. It was fun ride, and maybe we gonna improve the game more since we see lot of potentials within it.

7. ProGM

ProGM Villager Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ach @Roden124 I'm sorry. At least the spreadsheet was kinda useful.
    It's pretty bad not getting feedbacks :(
    Not many game got more than a few comments, but it was predictable.
    Which one is your game?

To be honest, I'm a bit sad about my game, as well... but for a different reason.
    It scored pretty well, but it was played by just one judge... Dunno why >.< I think it was discarded for some reason.

I developed this "stuff" mostly to compare my results with other games, then I thought it would be cool to share it with the community :D

@TheoAllen It looks like your game scored pretty well, for that judge. Your story is pretty similar to ours XD

Roden124 likes this.
  8. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    According to this, Starfall finished just one spot ahead of me. Apparently, doing something technically challenging doesn't score you any points and action games do particularly poor. I guess I'll play it safe next time and just make a vanilla RPG with a good story. That appears to be what does well in this competition. Live and learn.

Blair Pendragon and luizcubas like this.
  9. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Awesome job, I am confused how I failed screening though. Oh well, congratulations everyone that made a game.

watermark, Frogboy and luizcubas like this.
  10. Roden124

Roden124 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I have to tell you that spreadsheets like these are massively appreciated. Thank you for making it. :)

I've taken my game down already, but I plan to mature its concepts and remake it. I'm refraining from mentioning my entry because its name is a play on the game I'm about to release, so I'm gonna bury this one for a lil' bit. n_n;

Feel happy about your game! I understand your concern, but at least you know you're doing something right. It's a big deal when a judge likes your work! ^_^

ProGM likes this.
  11. ProGM

ProGM Villager Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Gosh, sorry for informing you guys about bad news D: D:
    However I think you can enter the Discord channel of the contest and ask the judges ^_^ They usually answer.

You're probably right! I'd like to improve my game in the near future ^_^
    Good luck for your game as well :D

Roden124 likes this.
  12. OnslaughtSupply

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Now I am really confused because I reviewed legend of protey for the secret santa but the spread sheet says its "broken"

Worked fine for me. No bugs.

ProGM and luizcubas like this.
  13. ProGM

ProGM Villager Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Uhm, my fault, sorry, I replaced "BROKEN" with "MISSING VOTE" (the judges forgot to add a vote to it)

P.S. the BROKEN is a word my script generated, it simply means that it could not recognize any vote on the game, not that the game is broken XD

So it could mean:
    a) a mistake made by the judges
    b) a disqualified game
    c) Something "strange" in the page that breaks the script

EDIT: I replaced any confusing "BROKEN" word with a more specific description

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    starlight dream likes this.
  14. luizcubas

luizcubas Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Pt-BR
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey @OnslaughtSupply, I just want to say that I loved your game, I could see the amount of effort you put there. It's really bad that you didn't have the feedback you wish from the judges :(

15. OnslaughtSupply

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks @luizcubas I enjoyed dungeon down. Played it after drifty's video. Man I love that combat system. It just felt so good. Its weird I couldn't get drifty to do mine, but I am sure everyone was trying to get him to play there's

I just want to know why so it doesn't happen again next time and also judges' feedback to make a better game. Sent one a message on discord, which I hate by the way (its like standing in a room with 50 conversations going on at once). But I have to say that I got some good feedback from some other users from the forum and I am going to overhaul this game sometime in the spring after the one I just started gets done.

Frogboy and luizcubas like this.
  16. Ennacrima

Ennacrima Artist Member

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    ProGM, dang, next time we should make a "unreviewed game list" label! Too late now, but that would have been helpfull! >_<

17. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @ProGM Thanks so much for making this! I have not had a chance to play JtoE yet but it looks a really beautiful and creative game. Will be sure to find time to play it.

@OnslaughtSupply I was confused why your game didn’t get past screening as well. You have some truly bold and innovative ideas that I thought were quite amazing and used the engine in new ways. Would like to see you develop it further.

@Frogboy Hey man! Don’t take it too hard! I know you must be feeling pretty negative now. Don’t worry. This is a common post-IGMC syndrome for most people. XD

Now, it is obvious that the judges did their best to run a fair and rigorous contest, and they put a lot of effort into it. So I think they did quite a nice job. But in the end, remember it’s just a contest. Like any contest big or small, it’s simply the opinion of a select group of people. So don’t give up on innovating!

Frogboy likes this.
  18. OnslaughtSupply

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks @watermark iy really means a lot and I won't let it get me down. One of the judges replied back to me and so I had to send a message to mark. No biggie can't wait until the next one.

There was some really awesome games out. I am still playing through them.

19. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @watermark
    I'm not taking it hard. It's just the second time I've entered one of these game jam things, put all of my effort into pulling off something really mechanically difficult and it having count against me as opposed to helping me out. It's obviously a horrible strategy. I'm learning from my mistakes. Next time I'll just do something really easy. Run around, talk to people, pick up some items, tell a more in-depth story. That's apparently what does well in these contests.

Don't get me wrong, my game didn't deserve to win or even come close. It had some issues and it didn't have custom art or anything. I thought that doing something unique would at least place me above the standard default RPG Maker stuff, though. I was wrong. Next time I won't make the same mistake.

20. EpicFILE

EpicFILE Epic Member Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My game is at #113.
    Kinda unexpected because it had a game-breaking bug. xD
    With the closing of judging period, I think I will upload the fixed version.

Congratulations for the winner! And for every participants of course. :D

luizcubas and Frogboy like this.