Runnyyy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello again! I'm having some trouble with a particular type of puzzle! I've followed the instructions listed on this page:

Advanced Lights Out Puzzle

(Link above/outgoing link) And I have a few questions/issues so far;;

For one: I've tried for a bit, but I can't seem to figure out how to make all the buttons green for completion. There's the ability to complete the puzzle by making all the buttons RED instead (default switches are red to begin with thus defeating the purpose of the puzzle), but I haven't found a good solution to interact with them to make all the switches green.

What I mean is: If I mess with the puzzle as-is, then it will eventually play out the "You Won!" text if I get all the switches to be red like they began with.

for another thing: I would like to make it so that after the puzzle is solved, an item becomes available and the puzzle becomes inactive. (Ex: after the You Won message, item appears and if you go to interact with the puzzle afterwards, nothing should happen).

I hope I've worded this ok!! Thank you for your assistance!

I'm using RPG Maker MV steam edition/latest installment

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
More switches would be needed. After the won text is displayed. You could have another switch active. For example name it end puzzle, then in the switch events. Have that be the last page of does events. With nothing on them.
For making the switches green. You could have image change action take place, so when switch is flipped. It turns green

Runnyyy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Would I need to add that to all the switch events? Because the actions take place in a common event and I'm a little unsure how to make those stop;; also, I'm unsure how you mean to change the image action/take place? The events set in the common event are within script/code which I've just copied from the tutorial and I'm not used to using scripts like this.

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Think you could show a screen shot of how everything is setup then? Since it sounds much different then what I had imagined

Runnyyy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The screenshots are available in the link provided above/the Advanced Lights Out Puzzle o:

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you sure both common events are used appropriately? It could be easy to mix them up a bit. Try double checking it again with the link

Runnyyy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There was only one common event in the tutorial and I copied it exactly as it was written out.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I copied it exactly as it was written out.
The problem is that you might have misunderstood something, and we need to see what you have entered to check what is going on. Because even if you believe to have copied something exactly that does not mean that belief is correct.

For example there was one case a few years ago where someone used the control variable script line for the word that were part of the control variable game data section. It looked the same to that user, but of course it didn't work at all.

So please provide screenshots of what you have in your game.

Runnyyy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah I see, here are my screenshots:
rpg-screen1.png
rpg-screen2.png
rpg-screen3.png

MightyEgg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You try it to put the commun event trigger switch in the event "the button".
If so can be a miss spell name of a event, switch or something but if im not wrong this code only uses the self switch.
If scripting is to much for you try to do visual.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Runnyyy
common events have no self-switches, only map events have.
IF a common event is called by a map event, then it will use that map events self switches.
if the common event is called any other way, that self-switch conditional branch will not work.

so how is that common event started and called?

Runnyyy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar
Using the button/switches events 9x as shown here:

rpg-screen4.png
rpg-screen5.png
rpg-screen6.png

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it's possible to turn them all green, but you dont have to use 2 different color if you can use
pressed button as well.

while I did this is a sample project for later, its working correctly if you did it correctly.

you probably should re-read the steps and see which step you missed, and no typo's.
1 tiny type can mess the function up.

Runnyyy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it's possible to turn them all green, but you dont have to use 2 different color if you can use
pressed button as well.

The issue isnt exactly the colors or visual of the event, but rather, after interacting with them several times, I seem to only be able to complete the puzzle in a way that reverts it to it initial state (all red buttons). The puzzle is supposed to be completed wherein all buttons are green, and while youre correct in that I could change the visuals to a depressed button instead of green, the outcome will be the same issue;;

The puzzle starts out with all red buttons. After interacting with the puzzle to change the adjacent buttons from red to green, eventually it is possible to make all the buttons red again, making the common event play out the "you won" message. At the start of the puzzle (all red), I can interact with one button and all adjacent ones will change color. If I interact with that same button, reverting the colors back to original, the message plays as if I've completed the puzzle when in fact I've just essentially reset it:kaocry:

MightyEgg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And if you remove the common event from the green one?
Maybe when its green you cant change it back but try that just for testing.

Or you can do with event is super easy like this one I made just now.

You can even use variables with random numbers just to complicate a bit or you can count how many buttoms where pressed and when like 10 or something get pressed it will end the puzzle.
All this can be made with variables you just need to be creative about it :).
Good luck

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can turn them all green of 9 x 9, which is relative easy, but all red shouldn't compleet
the puzzle though.
however, there are easier ways to do that. if you know the puzzle with the torches to lit
all 6 of them, the same can be done with switches, it doesn't matter if its a square or not.

there are other ways as well to compleet it, but most puzzles that can be found is ready to use,
ready to use are working, but also a base of a puzzle, so you can improve it in any way.

the vars and scriptcall (if you understand them) can be improved, so they dont work on "red"
but only when they are "green".

I have seen a puzzle like this somewhere as well, but it include 4 colors.

red, blue, green, yellow, each color when compleeted, opens a different door.
when all doors are compleeted, the 5th door opens.

so if you just copy paste the code and dont understand what function they run to do change
the switch purpose, it would be harder to adjust them :)

Runnyyy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MightyEgg

Thank you for your input! I've tested your examples and it works properly! Its not the type of puzzle I was initially going for, but this does open a new world of possibilities for me without having to rely on scripts! :>
I'm going to mess around with this some and see what I can come up with, thank you again!

EDIT: I've played around with the puzzle this way and was able to come up with a much simpler puzzle that I could understand!! This completely solves my overall issues, thank you so much!!

@ShadowDragon

That's true...I know close to nothing about script/scriptcalls and thought this would be simpler than anticipated;; I know of the torches event(s) and multi-colored switches type events as well, I suppose it was wishful thinking that I could make a properly working one in the first place;; Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

MightyEgg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Runnyyy Glad it helped, yes is true its a simple event but with some imagination you can do alot with it. If you can understand the event you can do so much with it. If you cant understand well is better for you to learn the event page, the internet and even the forum teach that.
At the second page you see the event its in autorun, that is for the event change to green when you presing, if you put at "touch player" event mode it will be yellow, but the player needs to walk off and walk back to make it green. Do not have afraid to fail just try everything.
If you have a little code notion it will help you alot.

Good luck and put all your creativity on it.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

"16. Do NOT contact other members by private message, on the forum or status feed, inviting them to put additional tools (such as leaderboards, ads, etc - whether yours or another person's) into their game."
Oh no. Necessity is the mother of invention. Do I want to know what happened?
Early WIP for my next entry. Since it's early you're going to need to wait a little longer than usual. What's that? You'll find out in my next update!
12.PNG
20 festive cards can now be unlocked in BiteMe!

The cards are permanent, but can only be unlocked in December!
Once the year is over, you won't be able to unlock the cards, or to upgrade it.
https://johndoenews.itch.io/biteme-storymodeCard141-160-Ad.png
Finally showing some updates again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nyhkkbjyek