Allegiance Tracker- doable?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Tigersong, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Tigersong

Tigersong Furry Fellow Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A bit of background- the book I'm adapting has an "allegiances" section that tells the reader who's who. Well, since ThunderClan's roster changes a few times, I'm wondering if I could make something that shows the current cast. (Going out on a limb- most likely it will require events and variables?)

This isn't an essential feature, but it falls under the category of "good to know".

2. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How do you want this information to be displayed? Using the regular text box, or an image perhaps? Or scrolling text?

If information gets updated, you're much better off looking for a script that lets you add more details in the menu for your party members.

3. Eschaton

Eschaton Hack Fraud Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    There are a few online but none of them do what I'd like them to (use reputations as event conditions).  I would second this request.

4. Diretooth

Diretooth Lv. 23 Werewolf Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Going out on a limb and saying you're making a Warriorcats fan RPG.

If you're looking for a screen with information based on each separate allegiance, maybe even little bars what show hostile, neutral, and allied, then you're going to need a script.

If it's just a key item that you can use to act as a dictionary/exposition for those not familiar with the world, then simply make a common event that the item calls upon use with a choice thing For instance:

"Which (Faction) would you like to read about?"

-Faction One

-Faction Two

-Faction  Three

-Next Page (For when there is more than four. This makes it easier for players to know there are more choices, something the Branch option with the choice thing doesn't do.)

--Faction Four

And et cetera. It's fairly simple to do.

5. Berylstone

Berylstone Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm not sure exactly what kind of presentation you are going for.  So if this misses the mark just ignore it.

But if you are wanting to show different character faces and descriptions based on which characters are currently part of the ThunderClan  in an event that reads like a book - you could store the current roster into variables and then use those in conditional branches to bring up the correct text or picture. 

For example:

Make a variable [Clan_Thunder1] to represent the first position in the ThunderClan.

When Actor1 joins the first spot in the ThunderClan change variable [Clan_Thunder1] to 1.  If Actor2 replaces the first spot in the ThunderClan change variable [Clan_Thunder1] to 2.

Then in your book event when viewing the first member of the ThunderClan:

Conditional Branch: Variable[ThunderClan1] == 1

Show Text or Picture about Actor 1

Branch End

Conditional Branch: Variable[ThunderClan1] == 2

Show Text or Picture about Actor2

Branch End

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  6. Tigersong

First Language:
    English
    I see I should've been more clear. And you're right, Diretooth, this is a Warriors game.

What I'd like is something to keep track of which cat is in what position- the leader, deputy and medicine cat especially.

7. Diretooth

Diretooth Lv. 23 Werewolf Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah, so you simply need a reference guide.

Without scripting, creating a common event that lists all of the clans and cats would work. Like my suggestion, create a common event with questions for the four clans titled: Thunderclan, Riverclan, Shadowclan, Windclan. (If, for some reason, Skyclan or Starclan is to be listed, then, like my suggestion earlier, put 'more' as the fourth choice. You can then have, for each choice, a scrolling text with or without fast forward enabled.

If I recall correctly, the format for the list would be:

Leader:

Deputy:

Medicine Cat:

Medicine Cat Apprentice:

Warriors:

Apprentices:

Elders:

If you don't want to do that, you can always make a separate text document with the requisite information inside. All you'd have to do is add it to the files for download and voila! easy access for clan information. (I recommend Notepad, since every Microsoft-based OS can read it.)

Tigersong likes this.
  8. Tigersong

First Language:
    English
    Hm... maybe I could even tie the event to a particular character. Thank you, Diretooth.