[Alpha, Demo] Prequel by RogueDeus - (Playable: v.1.01) (Dev.Halted 16_0715)

Roguedeus

It's never too late to procrastinate...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
*** IMPORTANT 16_0715 DEVELOPMENT HALTED***

I apologize for adding yet another reason for RPGMaker critics to insult the community, but Prequel has been halted indefinitely.

Work towards it has been re-purposed towards a much more realistic goal. One which I hope will result in more visible milestones and allow a more 'plug-it-in-as-it's-ready' development cycle.

The evolved project is tentatively called 'Grinder' and will consist of a no-story, rogue-light, open(ish) game space, where I can iron out my mechanics and class structures without the distractions of NPC arcs, quests, economies and world travel.

Alpha 1 will remain hosted as an embarrassing reminder, likely just to myself, of my tendency to allow my aspirations to get the better of me.

(And how terrible that thrown together intro is, even though it was always intended to be improved rather quickly.)

Everything below remains unchanged from the last update in 2015.

*** IMPORTANT ***

This is an incomplete and totally unfinished Alpha demonstration...

Please read this synopsis before playing, or you may find yourself confused.

Current Condition: (as of 15_1211)

• Much of the details are place holders. If you are confused please ask and if I have not already explained it, I will be more than willing to!

Spoiler

Please keep in mind that as it exists now, there is still A LOT of polish that needs to be applied and game content can still change VERY RAPIDLY.

Alpha 2

• In progress...
  • (New) Implicit Interaction Mechanics (This is replacing ALL previous event mechanics, thus taking some time)
  • Equipment Sockets

v1.01

• More quests/tasks.
  • New party member.
  • Limited Shop Stock.
  • Element Damage by States.
  • See this post for more specifics.

Alpha 1

• Placeholder Battle Balance. (Will be the last thing tuned)
  • Aprox 20~30 minutes of content. (Depending on what you choose)
  • Crimes. (Theft, Murder, Trespassing) (Not fully implemented)
  • Half a dozen 'Tasks' with journal entries.
  • Four potential relationships. (There will be no romance. Relationships refer to the 'Platonic' types)
  • Two potential party members.
  • 4 Distinct Classes/Jobs, two of which are easily accessible currently.

The game begins with you, a common citizen of the Kingdom, dealing with the adversity that entails. Unlike most JRPG's Prequel is not a story about an epic quest to save the world. Instead, it is an experiment in open ended, Non-directed Consequential Gameplay. (New buzzword?)

While those familiar with traditional JRPG's fare might choose the high road out of a conditioned expectation that not doing so has VERY LITTLE, if any real effect on the outcome. In Prequel, your actions, good and bad, necessary or not, will often have immediate and lasting impacts in the game world. And while many of your choices will result in what appear to be dead ends, this is rarely the case.

For example; losing access to the front of a location (by irritating the one in charge of the door) often only means you'll need to discover an alternative entrance. Doing so, may even be less costly than the original you just ruined. Or more costly. The only way to know would be to replay the trail of decisions that lead you there and all consequences after.

Also, cultivating a relationship with a prominent personality may alienate others that, up to that point, were also potential relationships ready to be cultivated. As such, the people you attract and befriend may be wildly different from one play through to the next.

I suppose I can sum it up here by saying that, if you expect to be told a grand story requiring little more input from you, the player, than pressing a few buttons in the occasional encounter or boss battle; then odds are you won't like Prequel very much. But if, like me, you are tired of railroaded content and ego stroking prose, and are looking for a little more consequence in an RPG. Then I hope that Prequel offers you at least a small amount of it.

Development:
Currently making Prequel has become a full time proposition for me. I hope that I will manage a good 2 hours of solid, open ended, game play for, what will become, the final Demo. After which, it will be available as a download rather than just a browser play through.

Depending on how well Prequel is received at the Demo's conclusion, I may continue work on it and push it through into a full 10+ hour commercial title. It all depends on you and the willingness of the many community contributors from which I have borrowed so much.

Current Team Members: (Other than myself)

Spoiler

None.

Here is the link to the online Demo.
(It is a standard hosted domain so if this gets to much traffic, performance may suffer during peak times)

Pending Additions:

Spoiler

• In game manual. (For detailing features hinted at in descriptions and to explain how states work, etc...)
  • Dynamic world level. (Due to the open world nature, world scaling will begin to kick in after the intro)
  • Advanced Shop Management. (Including re-sales, stock evolution, etc... Utilizing Hime's Stock Manager) (Partially Implemented)
  • New non-narrative based plot arcs. (Alpha v2.0 Incomming)

Features: Notable

(This is likely incomplete and will change, or be clarified, regularly. Especially as parts are added or removed.)

Spoiler

• All NPC's can die. (Potentially removing entire plot branches)
  • Non-Linear Plot & Play (Or about as far as I can stretch them without them snapping)
  • Unique Class & Advancement (Based on Job Points, Class Levels, Equipment, and Destiny Crafting)
  • Extensive Crafting (Currently slated to include over 20 Categories of crafts, including Destiny Crafts!)
  • Quest Journal
  • Advanced Socket System.
  • Element based State Damage.

Contributor Credits: Alphabetically!
(This is likely incomplete and will change, or be clarified, regularly. Especially as parts are added or removed. Tell me if I missed anyone!)

Spoiler

***ACTIVELY USED***ArkDG (Save Game) (aka:Leonardo Misseno Justino)Atreyo Ray (In Game Manual)Bobstah (Battle COmmands, Sockets)Estriole (Event Cloning)KockaAdmiralac (Follow Up Skills)Galenmereth (Pre-Load, FPS Fix)Galv (Cam Control, Move Route Extras)Heartbreak61 (Item Sort)Hime (Too many to list here...)Hudell (OrengeHUD)Iavra (Txt File Notes)JahwsUF (Status Menu Core)KockaAdmiralac (Follow-Up Skills)kranasAngel (Item Colors)Liquidize (ShadowPartner, Shield State, StatesCore)Lyson (Sensor Self SwitchYanfly (Too many to list here...)Moogle_X (Accuracy Overflow, Passive Skills)Mr. Trivel (Monster Book)Quasi (Params Plus)Rocketmancer (Pretty Guages)Shaz (Smart Path)Shoichiro Sakamoto (Battle Speed Up)Terrax (Lighting System)Unconnected42 (Ammunition Mechanic)Vlue (Crafting & Questing Systems)***REMOVED WITH THANKS***Ellye Jeremy Cannady

Notable Testers: (as of 15_1201)

Spoiler

Ebonfix (added: 15_1201)

Screens:

Spoiler

Alpha.1

alpha_100_screen_2.jpg

alpha_100_screen_3.jpg

alpha_100_screen_4.jpg

alpha_100_screen_5b.jpg

alpha_100_screen_6c.jpg

Alpha.2

alpha_2_screen_1.jpg

alpha_2_screen_2.jpg

alpha_2_screen_3.jpg

alpha_2_screen_4.jpg

*** I NEED FEEDBACK ***

If there is anything you think I could improve, please tell me.

If there is anything you simply don't like, please tell me.

If there is anything missing, please tell me!

(Your criticism helps. Please do not hesitate to give it! I will do my best to explain any issues at least once.)

(Even though I may have addressed it, please feel free to repeat anything anyone else has mentioned. I may have forgotten about it, or you may provide me with an idea I have not considered!)

Please, I invite criticism. Do not shy away from even the smallest suggestion or issue. Even if you repeat what others have mentioned, it informs me how noticeable the issue is and how I might handle it that much more quickly.

If you have questions, please ask.

While I may not have time to engage in full on debates over the why's and how's I will do my best to converse as much as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ebonfix

DaRealOG
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
aww hellz yeah!

Roguedeus

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
An update to Alpha v1.01 is a day away (or so). If you are considering trying this out now, you may want to wait. :)

Finely the stars aligned, plugin conflicts and bugs resolved, additions completed... v1.01 is upon us.

It may not seem like much of a difference but there was a lot of sideways expansions to plot branches and the addition of many things:

Alpha v1.01 DEMO Infos

Removed:

• Galv's Magic Shards
  • Sigils (Shards by another name
Added:

• The Temple of the Twelve. (Currently incomplete but open for limited business)
  • New potential party member. (Currently there are 2 possible party members that can join)
  • Several new Journal Entries (Quests/Tasks)
  • New learnable skills (still not enough though)
  • Foundations for the first Boss battle.
  • Element based State Effects over time. (Via: Liquidize, Anima - Effects Over Time Plugin)
  • Enemy Classes & Enemy Levels. (Should be rather invisible at the moment)
  • Rumors added to NPC's. (foundations for rumor journal entries as well)
  • Limited Shop Stock and thus a lot more trade opportunities with NPC's. (Via: Hime, Shop Manager... currently still in beta.)
  • The foundation of Crafting. (Including starting knowledge... Currently only Intro Runology implemented)
Fixed/Improved:

• The Mine Guard should be more versatile in dealing with the players decisions. (No dead ends)
  • Direction 'tasks' added to the intro scene and subsequent narrative steps. (Fixing to change significantly)
  • Completed Pickaxe Plot. (Please PLEASE report issues)
  • Re-balanced the ATB mechanic. (Should be ratherinvisible at the moment)
  • Mining Helmet requirements now extend to ALL party members! (The mining guard is paying closer attention)
Known Issues:

• There is a visual bug with Shield States. Specifically the GUARD state applied when an actor selects guard in battle.
  • Still incomplete implementation of ATTACK!! choice for NPC's... (This will be getting a significant reworking)

beenbaba

Slowly getting there
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Something to note before I give some feedback, I don't read the synopsis or game mechanics or anything about the game IF a demo is available, which one is for yours. I find this way I'm not swayed by external things that I already know when I start playing the game and if things don't make sense or aren't clear within the game world it is apparent immediately as I can't think 'ah I read about this mechanic'. So, just to let you know :)

Okay, well I tried about 5 to 10 minutes as I then ended up dying which was a tad annoying but sometimes that's how these things go.

1) Use of yanfly message core is nice, helps portray some personality during the speech.

2) Do not like the sound on message balloon function, at least not with the amount of balloons you have just at the starting intro scene.

3) I get that I need to get through the gate, but a little more tutorial stuff here wouldn't go amiss. Maybe offer some directions for example.

4) I spoke to the old man next to the main character after the initial gate toll cutscene and the majority of the options were not able to be used. Then when I used the attack option, and then proceeded to confirm it, the screen faded out and said I had slain a guard (or something similar). I found this really odd as I have no understanding of what bearing this may or may not have on the story at hand, my interactions or anything else. If it doesn't then that's fine but the way it is worded makes it sound like it has an effect on something somewhere which I have no control over, which I don't like personally (more on this on second playtest)

5) Use of ATB is good in battles, could be a bit quicker but I Imagine it will once you start increasing your speed.

6) I went directly left past the warning sign and got into a battle. There was no battle music and no battle back but I'm assuming that's intentional. The enemy was also far too quick and was doing more damage than me, with only some throwing stones as items and no healing so I was a bit screwed. Oh, and every other turn I couldn't use the normal attack. Also, the enemy had a move that would heal him fully, not cool.

The last thing I wanted to mention was the opening choices. The options button doesn't do anything. When you press start it says learned runeology (I think) and got 5 recipes. This, right at the start of the game, means absolutely nothing to me and again not sure what the relevance is.

I think, for me at least, more explanation on what to do, what things are and what things mean would help a great deal in my enjoyment.

Second playtest.

Went slightly differently so I ran back down the road and went exploring for a bit. Found some interesting things like the church stuff, not fully implemented yet though so can't fully comment but I can see the world will be brimming with things to do and little details to look out for which is a really nice touch and I like that alot. I'm still not sure about all of the empty chests everywhere though, one or two is okay but I encountered a few too many for my liking personally.

Decided instead of going left after the gate toll cutscene to go right instead. Spoke to the other people that were in the cutscene and they had the attack option as well, so from this I'm assuming a kind of murder/attacking normal people is a mechanic. Again, this would have been good to have a brief explanation of somewhere in the beginning.

I then proceeded right and got into a fight. Immediately apparent that they are too hard so I ran, which lead me into an unavoidable loop of battle after battle where all I could do was escape due to how the events are set up. Also, the brief time I was in that area there looked liked there were a lot of battles to have with not a lot of chance to avoid, I'd have a look into this and see what you think yourself.

And that's it for my two brief playtests, hopefully some of this will be useful.

I think it has a lot of potential but for me at the moment it lacks the proper tutorial sections and direction.

Roguedeus

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks for taking the time to provide the feedback!

I'll try to explain some of your concerns. :)

[SIZE=11pt][/SIZE]2) Do not like the sound on message balloon function, at least not with the amount of balloons you have just at the starting intro scene.

The primary purpose of the popups and noises, is to signal who is talking. I tend not to use portraits in my general dialogues so I want the player to get used to seeing and hearing a notification when something relevant is being said. As well as to know who is saying it. For the cut-scene in question, I went ahead and used the portraits in addition to the notifications.

However, this is very likely to change once I am satisfied with a replacement message system. That way I can have the speaker identified by the message appearing over them, and can remove the dominant use of bubbles and sound effects. ;)

[SIZE=11pt][/SIZE]4) I spoke to the old man next to the main character after the initial gate toll cutscene and the majority of the options were not able to be used. Then when I used the attack option, and then proceeded to confirm it, the screen faded out and said I had slain a guard (or something similar).

In the synopsis I tried to point out that many of the extended interactions are place holders simply because things are in constant flux (as plugins update and get added), and I am stretched pretty thin with just getting the big things implemented and functioning right now. Much of those little details, like murder (which will be possible) and even pick pocketing and faction consideration will come eventually. 

I also failed to notice that one of said changes had broken the variable I used to assign the common battles... That is why you experienced an instant win and the message saying you've been labeled a fugitive. Etc...

[SIZE=11pt][/SIZE]5) Use of ATB is good in battles, could be a bit quicker but I Imagine it will once you start increasing your speed.

I have made a rather drastic change to the ATB details in the upcoming Alpha 2. It will accompany a complete reworking of the Skill system, which will make the cooldown on base attack make more since once its complete. So, yes, it is intentional and otherwise unexplained at the moment. However, it will be more obvious soon. Unfortunately, the speed is not going to change much, because you will eventually have a 5 member party, and quite a lot of choices to make in quick succession. So everything in the early game is sorta dependent on that detail.

However, I will make a note to explore the possibility of balancing the ATB based on a slower ATB Speed setting (in options) so that players will be able to both speed it up and slow it down if they like.

Thanks for pointing this out!

[SIZE=11pt][/SIZE]6) I went directly left past the warning sign and got into a battle. There was no battle music and no battle back but I'm assuming that's intentional.

[SIZE=11pt][/SIZE]The enemy was also far too quick and was doing more damage than me, with only some throwing stones as items and no healing so I was a bit screwed.

You're right. At that time I had not decided on a standard battle theme nor how I was going to handle battle backs. (Still not sure about the backs.) However, Alpha 2 already has a standard battle theme for random, planned, and boss battles.

As for the battles... The shining signs posted outside those areas entrances state that you will have trouble without a party member and not to go inside because you will not get help...

The plan is that the game will be as open a world as I can manage to make with the tools I have, and part of that is the reality that you may choose to go places you simply won't survive long inside.

I can only suggest that you save often, because I will not be restricting save points. Save, save, save!

Also, I have plans to implement a few consumables and at least a few escape friendly skills for use in those moments where you might accidentally find yourself caught with your pants down. Until then, I would suggest reading the shiny signs and waiting until you find at least one extra party member before looking for trouble that you are not directed towards via some plot device.

[SIZE=11pt][/SIZE]The last thing I wanted to mention was the opening choices. The options button doesn't do anything. When you press start it says learned runeology (I think) and got 5 recipes.

That was a hack of a much larger conversation, to get v1.01 uploaded with less confusion.

Essentially, Runology is the only functional crafting choice in the Demo and the common event is meant to be part of a larger choice pool. It was due to some limitations I have since found ways to get around. It will be better in Alpha 2.

I think it has a lot of potential but for me at the moment it lacks the proper tutorial sections and direction.

Thanks for your support, and your time. :)

I will reiterate that right now all my time is in making the big things work... So, until things aren't in such constant flux, things like in game tutorials are simply going to have to wait. I will do my best to keep the synopsis updated with the current conditions of such things as they change or get added.

Sorry for any frustration.

Roguedeus

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh! One more thing...

The loot crates that are empty, really aren't... :)

I know it may not appear that way, but even empty crates contribute to something, somewhere. Essentially, only collections (like rocks and ore, etc) can be truly empty. Everything that is in a crate, is actually tracked and will impact future crate opening. Chests, however, always have something in them!

Also, I have some rather interesting plans for Loot Chests. Not sure if it will make it into Alpha 2. But it will be added eventually.

beenbaba

Slowly getting there
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Ah okay, makes more sense now. Like I said I like to head straight into the demo to give better feedback which unfortunately this time may not have been the best approach. I think I'll return when you've done a few more updates and see how I fare then :)

Roguedeus

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
With the core plugins for the new event Interaction mechanic now complete. Full on development of Alpha 2 is commencing forthwith. :)

I will be keeping Alpha 1 uploaded for comparison.

Roguedeus

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Alpha 2 became a whole lot more overwhelming than I expected. I made the all to familiar mistake of attempting to spread out my effort while waiting for new plugins and existing plugin fixes/updates.

The result being a whole lot of bouncing back and forth between semi-functional features, with little if anything to show for them. And the few that did get done, ended up superfluous shortly after completion due to EXPLODING workarounds to technical limitations ending in a total scrapping, wasted time, and repeated disappointment.

So, I've taken a step back.

I've also decided I am going to try to cram  A LOT LESS into this and each Alpha version. Starting with Alpha 2.

Unfortunately, this means that Alpha 2, may end up being feature regressive rather than a progressive. But hopefully a lot less convoluted. :p

amaSenpai

LP: amaSenpai
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This sounds extremely fun. I would love to add it to my list of games to try out.

I have a hard time making decisions, so it will be a great test of what I can try.

CrazyCrab

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Hi, decided to give it a shot as I had some spare time.

I'm writing things down as I notice them, so it may be a bit chaotic. Sorry!

- That title screen is really run-of-the-mill, I'd recommend getting a new one as soon as possible. There's a LOT of free workshops around that can do it for you if you're not too good with photoshop.

- The 'special options' don't work, just so you know they don't change anything.

- Your mapping is solid and quite pretty. Not breathtaking or amazing, but not bad either. It's solid. If you want to improve it I'd recommend some custom tiles. Someone like Pandamaru has amazing forest tiles.

- Your equipment system looks quite impressive and so does the menu. If you only had someone script the layout a bit (it's a one long list that just screams RPG Maker for now) it would be solid commercial level work.

- I don't know if that's RTP music or not tbh, but I like it. It fits the game so far. :) There is a strange delay whenever you enter a map though. Maybe it's just a browser thing. 

- The dialogue system is very interesting, nicely done. A part of me is curious which script you used for that ;)  

- The strange sound delay is really bad in combat, there's been no music whatsoever. 

- Destiny? Job points? Sounds complicated, but fun. Also, isn't that four leaved clover use sound from Heroes 3? ;)

- To be honest the skill descriptions are a bit confusing. 

- I think I ran into some ore in the mine, but instead of mining it I walked up the wall. I'm pretty sure that's a passability issue. This is supposed to be ore, right? I can't figure out how to mine it. 

Untitled_zps5klnrgv8.png

- I died to a bandit, realized that I haven't saved and lost all progress. :( My fault, I know.

For now, I'm certainly impressed.The scripts are nice and the mapping, while not perfect, is reasonably solid. For now I recommend that you focus on fixing the bugs and the introduction, as I had no idea how to use items (using the rope near the hole turned out impossible for me for some reason) as well as explaining the whole skill system in more detail.

I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for this one! I'll possibly play some more tomorrow.

Roguedeus

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
 Thank you for the feedback! I really need more of this!

It helps me identify things that get overlooked as well as keep me motivated!

Hi, decided to give it a shot as I had some spare time.
I'm writing things down as I notice them, so it may be a bit chaotic. Sorry!

- That title screen is really run-of-the-mill, I'd recommend getting a new one as soon as possible. There's a LOT of free workshops around that can do it for you if you're not too good with photoshop.
There are going to be a lot of place holder content until the project gets a lot closer to being complete. :)

- The 'special options' don't work, just so you know they don't change anything.
It will be disabled if unusable in the future.

- Your mapping is solid and quite pretty. Not breathtaking or amazing, but not bad either. It's solid. If you want to improve it I'd recommend some custom tiles. Someone like Pandamaru has amazing forest tiles.
- Your equipment system looks quite impressive and so does the menu. If you only had someone script the layout a bit (it's a one long list that just screams RPG Maker for now) it would be solid commercial level work.
- I don't know if that's RTP music or not tbh, but I like it. It fits the game so far. :) There is a strange delay whenever you enter a map though. Maybe it's just a browser thing.
Thanks for the complements. Currently, since its just me, mapping is purely functional with as much flare as I can apply with the RTP. (More details have been added since the last upload)

The idea is that game progression will not be limited to enemies and equips but tiles as well. As the game progresses, newer and more interesting environments will be discovered. Including a lot of freely available community tiles. :)

All sounds and most music are RTP. Some have been altered using the available pitch adjustments but that's all. So far there is one custom music in the game, in the Temple of The Twelve.

- The dialogue system is very interesting, nicely done. A part of me is curious which script you used for that ;)
- The strange sound delay is really bad in combat, there's been no music whatsoever. 
- Destiny? Job points? Sounds complicated, but fun. Also, isn't that four leaved clover use sound from Heroes 3? ;)
- To be honest the skill descriptions are a bit confusing.
The dialogue is getting a BIG change in Alpha 2. So, I hope you are equally impressed with it then. The only plugins I use for it are Yanfly's message core and Hime's conditional choice plugins.

Destiny is also getting scrapped as is. It will be replaced with something else less clunky and a little more meaningful.

Equipment descriptions are in constant flux... I apologize about that. Hopefully once the new class system is fully implemented (maybe Alpha 3) it will be more standardized.

- I think I ran into some ore in the mine, but instead of mining it I walked up the wall. I'm pretty sure that's a passability issue. This is supposed to be ore, right? I can't figure out how to mine it.

Untitled_zps5klnrgv8.png
That looks like its the second layer of the mine. I don't think I had gotten to warning the player that going down stairs is unfinished. Sorry about that!

There is a random chance that any ore will be able to be mined. The ones that are, will be flashing and can be interacted with normally.

- I died to a bandit, realized that I haven't saved and lost all progress. :( My fault, I know.

For now, I'm certainly impressed.The scripts are nice and the mapping, while not perfect, is reasonably solid. For now I recommend that you focus on fixing the bugs and the introduction, as I had no idea how to use items (using the rope near the hole turned out impossible for me for some reason) as well as explaining the whole skill system in more detail.

I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for this one! I'll possibly play some more tomorrow.
That part about the rope, was also an oversight of mine in not informing the player of its incompleteness. However, Alpha 2 has it working.

The skill system is getting a total overhaul at the moment as well. :) It may not be fully implemented until Alpha 3.

I hope I've addressed your concerns and again, thank you for the feedback!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My entire world, full of monsters and treasures, will likely be done by the end of the year. After that it's all NPCs and side quests... then done. I'm never making an open world game again xD
The more I read Calvin and Hobbes as an adult, the more I deeply respect Bill Watterson. Plenty of stuff flew over my head, but now that I'm old enough to appreciate the viewpoints he shared with the fun and imagination? I am grateful that C&H was basically my early childhood.
After years of relying on others and the community to help with making my games, I've decided to delve into the world of scripting. Thought I'd share a few simple scripts that I made that I'm very proud of and excited about!

Redesigning characters after such a long time feels great. Makes me excited to work on an old game again.
Phone menu to replace main menu WIP:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShiJun