Alternative/different Experience points

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by TriceratopsX, Dec 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TriceratopsX

TriceratopsX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is there anyway to have some kind of additional types of experience that the player earns? I was wanting to make it so instead of learning magic type skills through regular level up the character(s) would have a secondary exp bar that they'd earn experience for by other means. (for example, having a Spellbook equipped would allow that character to use that spell, and after earning enough exp while holding that spellbook they learn how to use the spell without the spellbook) I thought I could use a variable to track the secondary exp, but I don't know how to grant exp for fighting with an item equipped.

Any help would be appreciated

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    several ways, usually done by scrippt/plugin or even by pure eventing (just requires quite a bit of mathematics and logic is done by events alone)

And if you want to increase a variable if a player fights with a certain equipment, just check with an troop event once per battle

Dr. Delibird likes this.
  3. Basileus

Basileus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    There are a few ways to do things like this with no scripts at all. Off the top of my head:

1. Items - Create an item with a name like "Experience Orb". You can set monsters to drop a certain number of them upon defeat, have them found inside chests across the world or in dungeons, give them as rewards for quests...heck you can even sell them if you want. One use is to have the item trigger a Common Event to increment a global variable every time it is used - say a "Green EXP Orb" item triggers a "Green EXP Orb" Common Event that adds +1 to a variable called "EXP" while a "Red EXP Orb" item triggers a "Red EXP Orb" Common Event that adds +5 to the same variable. Another way would be to have a "Level Up Shop" where you traded the orbs for stat bonuses or skills...or just buying actual Level Ups using commands in the Event to add +1 to a character's level.
    2. Variables - Create a global variable with a name like "Experience". You can then have Events add or subtract from this variable and use the same "Level Up Shop" to purchase levels and upgrades for your characters by calling the variable to act as a second money pool.
    3. Money - Or you can just take the Dark Souls approach and make money and experience the same thing, where you can use "Souls" to purchase items, upgrade weapons, or upgrade your character as you see fit all using the same resource. Once again a "Level Up Shop" can come in handy or you can use a Common Event set to trigger from a Quest Item to call your "Character Upgrade" Common Event whenever and wherever the player wants. 

If you want to make things like "Equipment teaching skills through use" then you can, but I think it may require scripts. It all depends on how you, the Dev, want to gate the player's access to skills and stats. It's cool to do something innovative, but you should have a design reason for doing so. Think carefully about what you want the player to feel, what kinds of decisions you want them to make, and how you plan to reward the player for completing challenges. Doing something just to be different without a plan can just make a project messy and player's can feel the lack of cohesion.

Think about the kinds of gameplay you want to promote and the kinds of decisions and feelings you want those mechanics to reinforce, then figure out what method of "experience gain" would work best to meet those design goals.

Crabs likes this.
  4. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    how about the equipment can make a skill avalible. each time the actor uses the skill a variable increases. when the variable is high enough a common event triggers that teaches an exact but different copy of the skill to the equipy

i think in the common event there may be a way to check who is holding the equipment

(checking...)

yes there is. on the second page of the conditinal branch

so you could even use a different variable for each actor as well so you can have multipule copies teaching at once

this system is completley possible without scripts

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2016
  5. ashikai

ashikai Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You can also use JP (job points, YEP plugin) for just about anything. Leveling up skill trees/skills, leveling individual stats... or even using them to "purchase" levels. :)

6. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    just thought of a problem of everyone earning points at once. i think to prevent this, add a state in the damage box that wears off after the action is over

then just use the state for the checking thing

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2016
  7. TriceratopsX

TriceratopsX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you all so much for the replies! You're all so wonderful!

@Andar Your quick reply was appreciated and was a huge help to me!

@Basileus I'm definitely going to keep in mind what you said about having a design reason for it. 

@Oddball That is a huge help! (and saves me a lot of trial and error!) Thanks a lot!

EDIT: -_- ... Um, how do you increase a variable when a character uses a skill?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2016
  8. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    one of the actions a skill can do is run a common event