The Knight of the Sad Figure
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Creating a Home screen after the title

First, forgiveness for deception. I have not found an option to edit the topic title, so I write here: this is not an alternate title screen, but a main screen that appears after the common title.

Introduction:

Certain games feature incredible main screens. When a beginner looks at one of them, he imagines it to be extremely difficult to create, which is not true. In this tutorial, we will create a one hundred percent customizable, easy-to-use and well organized title screen. In fact, it is even more customizable than many of the similar systems developed for other engines.

To work!

So the system promises to be more customizable than the others. Why? Because most systems use images to define their options. This one uses icons organized in a charset:

Hey dude. I do not have a base image to create my charset! Here you go, lady / gentleman. That way, you gain space on the screen. And since the main screen is created on a map, you do not have any limit options on it! You also need to create a cursor icon. In our charset (where it is perceived that I am not a pixel artist), we have a small hand pointing. Remember to create the graphics so that they are harmonic to each other. After that, go to the database and create a new character. Give him the graph of our cursor, for this is what he will be!

After that, test your game. Note that the cursor graphic - if you created it with only one frame - has several flaws in the movement. We'll have to remedy that, right? Then create a new map. It will still not be the title screen, but it is where we will make an important setting on the cursor.

In this map, create an event in "Auto Start", and select the "Set Move Route" option. Select the player as a target and place the following commands:

This will lock the chart on the selected icon as the cursor. Remember: the direction in which you point the player's graph depends directly on the position of the icon in the charset! In addition, it will allow our cursor to walk the map by ignoring the terrain passability settings ,well, you know. Let's also banish something else that may disrupt your title screen: the ability to open the game menu. Then transfer the player to the map of your title screen. In the end, you'll get something like this:

Okay. But, does this system only have icons? And the beauty of the screen? Well-crafted images? In fact, this is on your own, but the system allows you to even create animations! You see, the title background image - used here - was created by a background in Parallax. This allows you to create an animation using several Parallax! Another possibility is that you can map your main screen as you normally would.

Look, so far so good. We have a cursor, we have a background ... but what about the options? All right, let's move on to them. As you said, the options are created by icons arranged in a charset. This allows you to have animated icons easily and position them as you prefer. Let's look at the following image:

Having selected the icon, the red markings block the animations - just as we did with the cursor. Remember to mark the priority as "below the hero," or our cursor will not be able to touch the options. This is a simple option to start the game, see the yellow markings: they remove the cursor and include the initial group. This is done within the fade out to hide the graphical changes of the player.

Note that in this tutorial, no further example is needed. Creating other options is incredibly simple. Things like "Continue", "Options", "Exit" are easy to include. So, I make a suggestion: if you will use this system, why not create a "Picture Gallery"? "Extras"? The possibilities are the size of your creativity.

Hey dude. Your English is terrible and I do not understand anything. No problem, download the demo below:

Wow, that's a nice system, but I do not use this RPG Maker. Well, the local rules prevent me from including here - because it is an external link and written in Portuguese - but there is a system version for RPG Maker Vx Ace. And since the commands of Ace, VX, XP and MV are similar, just recreate in another engine. The system is identical, so there's no need to post it in the RPG Maker Vx Ace area. If you are interested in this version, please contact me. Examples of running system in RPG Maker Vx Ace:

Something like the end.

Well that's. The system allows you to organize as many options as you want, how and where you want. You do not need any external patch for this, no advanced knowledge in the program and / or programming. It is just an example of how simplicity is powerful if well used.

We stay here. I hope the system can help beginners, inspire veterans, and not collect spider webs on MediaFire.

Last edited:

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, maybe you also want to explain how you skip your initial title screen in RM2k3, because that one is quite important.
Do you use the RM2k3 power mode?

Faherya

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, maybe you also want to explain how you skip your initial title screen in RM2k3, because that one is quite important.
Do you use the RM2k3 power mode?
I believe the only "bug" in the system is this. I'm not cutting the common title screen. I use it as a shortcut screen, with the options "Load", "Exit". The "New Game" option is renamed by something like "Press Enter to Start". This option takes you to this home screen, with more details and functions. Thanks for the comment.

Poryg

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So you use the common title screen like this.
New game - brings you to your "real" title screen
Load - loads the game
Exit - exits the game.

Did I understand that correctly?

Faherya

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Exactly. Soon I made a mistake in this topic. It is not necessarily an alternate title screen, but a "Main Screen".

Poryg

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's why I asked the question. Because with power mode I was able to create a fully custom title screen (including load and exit). And as a bonus I was able to use mouse, lots of variables and whole keyboard :))

Faherya

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks for the correction. Nor is it a mistake of translation, but of my very expressions. About Power Mode, I avoid using external patches as much as I avoid using scripts / plugins in other RMs. Nothing against it, it's just my way of using the tool. I like events. :kaohi:

Poryg

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like events too and quite frankly, I miss the good ol' RM2k3 (I am unable to use it on win 10), but being able to use whole keyboard and mouse unlocked more powers for me.
However, it also prevented me from using multiple keys input, that's true... But you always have to sacrifice something to gain something else :)

Sagath

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
How can I put the load game command? Im using rpgmaker 2000 and I don't know how...

Faherya

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not sure, but I believe RPG Maker 2000 does not have this event-driven command. (As I answered in your doubt). I can suggest that you migrate your project to RPG Maker 2003, whose options allow you to call the load-by-event screen. :(

Sagath

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
I'm not sure, but I believe RPG Maker 2000 does not have this event-driven command. (As I answered in your doubt). I can suggest that you migrate your project to RPG Maker 2003, whose options allow you to call the load-by-event screen. :(
Yeah, I might do that; thank you BTW

Poryg

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RPG maker 2000 doesn't have it and RM2k3 has it since the latest updates. It didn't have it even in version 1.08 (along with several other commands), but the most recent update got this command available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I don't like hard boiled eggs...
it's weird to eat something that crunchy outside soft inside. And after chewing it for a while it started to spill red sauces that taste like iron.
Latest member to OcRam -plugin suite: OcRam_Layers! Optimized parallax layers (for parallax mapping?) + dynamic layers which can be used in title-, battle and map scenes!
People convinced me to use my old graphics for this new project, i guess i can't run away from blender just yet. https://gyazo.com/2a105847c042bb78c6d4919ec1308660
10/24 done :3 Maybe I can finish 11 and 12 this weekend^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GameVenture