Alternative Term for "Critical Evasion"?

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, I'm finding the term "Critical Evasion" to be a bit long and clumsy. Are there any good alternatives for this attribute? I've tried stuff like: Critical Dodge or Critical Resist, but I think there ought to be better terms I just can't think of atm...

Last edited:

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe circumvention or power shirking?
Certainly unique, but I doubt a player would be able to instantly identify those terms as equating to Critical Evasion, it should be intuitive imo. Maybe those 2 terms could be used elsewhere?

Pootscooter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Mandarin
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it should be called "Critical [insert word here]" otherwise, players won't intuitively recognize it as reducing Crit %. It should be able to describe what it does w/o an extra help text.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it should be called "Critical [insert word here]" otherwise, players won't intuitively recognize it as reducing Crit %. It should be able to describe what it does w/o an extra help text.
Yes, I totally agree. I'm looking for that 2nd word that goes after "Critical".

Cyberhawk

Bravelion Leader
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
for a single word i'd go with: Dexterity, most likely. (might be remembering wrong terms there)
For Critical [insert word here]
I'd probably do Critical Avoid or Awareness

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, what offers the Critical Evasion? Is it intristic to an actor or class, or does an item give it? Shucks, what is the Critical % stat called in your game? I do vouch for something that can be intuitively grasped, but also has some flair to it. I second Reflex or Awareness; if going for "Critical X", then Crit. Aware. or Crit. Guard seem fine.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, what offers the Critical Evasion? Is it intristic to an actor or class, or does an item give it? Shucks, what is the Critical % stat called in your game? I do vouch for something that can be intuitively grasped, but also has some flair to it. I second Reflex or Awareness; if going for "Critical X", then Crit. Aware. or Crit. Guard seem fine.
I make DEF (Constitution in my game) grant a bit of Crit Evasion. A stat of "100" would be average for a max lv character. I named AGI (Dexterity), which increases Hit/Crit/Counter chance plus a secondary addition to physical dmg. ATK (Strength) also increases Crit Multiplier in addition to being mainly dmg.

So far, I'm liking "Critical Avoid" or "Critical Guard" but perhaps there's an even better term?

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In wow, before they streamlined their stats, critical resistance came from the defense skill. Tank characters who had a defense skill a certain number of points above max level would be completely immune to critical hits, and being a good tank involved stacking gear that had the defense stat on it to reach this breakpoint.

That's different than armor or block value. Defense was like a weapon skill, which leveled by being hit. They have since removed that, and made most stats more streamlined, to the point where simply being a tank class makes you crit immune.

I doubt this information helps you out much, as 'defense' is a poor choice for the name for critical evasion.

As an actual suggestion, I'd go with Critical Resistance, but if Critical Evasion sounded too clunky for you, that's probably even worse.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In wow, before they streamlined their stats, critical resistance came from the defense skill. Tank characters who had a defense skill a certain number of points above max level would be completely immune to critical hits, and being a good tank involved stacking gear that had the defense stat on it to reach this breakpoint.
I knew you played WoW just from the way you set up your plugins lol.
As an actual suggestion, I'd go with Critical Resistance, but if Critical Evasion sounded too clunky for you, that's probably even worse.
Hmm, I might actually go w/ "Critical Resist" though!

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Critical Block
That was actually my 1st pick lol, but unfortunately, I have a passive skill in my game called Critical Block, which actually uses the user's crit chance to supplement their block chance and also a chance to reduce dmg to 25% instead of 50%. I'm sure other people may use that term for their projects though, it's concise and to the point.

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Crit. Avoid? Or Crit. Sense? Something revolving around Luck I feel would work best.

NatePlays

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As criticals are usually attacks in weak spots, I think "Perception" or "Caution" could be used. Someone clumsy would be more prone to be hit in a weak spot, while someone more cautious could fight defensively and prevent that.

But I'm used to Fire Emblem's "Dodge". Not evade, dodge prevents criticals, and some games didn't even explain or show what that was, but I became used to it anyway...

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Critical Proof (as in bulletproof)
Critical Immunity

duty

Keepin' it simple
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Critical stop
Critical ward
Critical dodge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

HexMozart88 wrote on Citali's profile.
Kikuo!
The lack of bike trails and bungee jump areas in this city should be criminalized.
SF_Actor3_8 added!

A recent screenshot that I also shared on Reddit and the likes, links in my signature if you want to follow :)

I am starting to get a hang of this parallaxing mapping business. Still inexperienced, but at least I can be a lot more creative now :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fish_Fish