Altimit Pixel Movement [0.50β]

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by xilefian, Oct 9, 2017.

1. xilefian

xilefian Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Beta is now at 0.40

This adds game-pad support (can be disabled), mouse input enabling/disabling, the ability to freeze followers (useful for moving them around in cut-scenes) and fixes a load of bugs.

Parameters have changed, so if you are upgrading you will need to manually check over the Plugin settings to make sure mouse and gamepad are set.

@Doktor_Q I fixed the followers not-inheriting through status issue, however there is a quirk; followers will get stuck in geometry if the through status is set to "false" and they are standing on an impassable tile. I consider this a deviation from default behaviour, however it is tough to fix as followers by default are "through" in MV - as they follow the player's path exactly. Followers do not exactly follow the player's path for Altimit Movement (they collide with geometry, thus they cannot have "through" status), so I can't do much about them being stuck in impassable geometry.

Eventually I will make it so you can move off impassable geometry onto passable (like in vanilla MV) which will solve this small quirk, however followers that are standing on passable geometry (so a wall between them and the player) will still be stuck - I can't do much about this scenario.

My suggestion is to gather the followers each time the player has completed a scripted through-move command.

Bugs fixed:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Joy Diamond and ∊η∊ηra like this.
  2. Doktor_Q

Doktor_Q I'm not a real doktor, but I am a real Q Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @xilefian Gather the followers at the end works great! Thanks for the fixes!

[EDIT]
    A couple more questions, or possibly requests:
    1. Can we modify the collider shape for actual tiles, or only events? I'm playing around with stairs that ascend east/west instead of just north/south, which means the top and bottom have a diagonal edge. I can use events, but it'd be convenient to just embed that shape directly in the tileset.
    2. Can we set movement speeds more gradiently? With pixel movement, there's plenty of space between normal speed and "2x faster" speed.
    3. On that note, the ability to adjust normal walk / sprint speeds from a plugin parameter would be nifty.
    4. Also on that note, the ability to set diagonal movements to have the same real speed as orthogonal, instead of having X and Y components at full magnitude. Probably through another toggle in the plugin parameters.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  3. xilefian

xilefian Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Sorry for taking a while to get back to you on these questions.

At the moment custom colliders for tiles is only possible in TileD. There is a mechanism for its support implemented, however there's no API for it currently. Will need to design a good system for defining tile shapes. Using events is the best you can do at the moment.

For gradient movement speeds, do you mean acceleration? I can add this to the list of nice things to have, sounds like a great idea to me.

I think adjusting normal walk/sprint speeds is another nice thing to have, but I think it should be lower in priority as it can be done very easily with an additional Plugin. Movement speed for Altimit Movement uses the default MV system.

The diagonal movement speed is something I'm working on right now, actually. Unfortunately the maths behind "normalising a vector to point to the edges of a square" is very complicated and I had to get the help of a mathematician to write up the algebra and logic behind it - which I need to convert into code. Once I have this, I'll be adding the ability to have "circle-movement" and "square-movement" as an option; circle movement is what you want. At the moment, circle movement is already available for game-pad analogue and mouse based input, square movement is used for arrow keys - I want this to be fully configurable in both the Plugin parameters and through Plugin commands so you can choose what system is used.

Does all this sound good to you?

Joy Diamond and ∊η∊ηra like this.
  4. Doktor_Q

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @xilefian Thanks for the replies! For map tiles I can just fudge it with events for now, as is RPGMaker tradition.

Acceleration would also be cool, but what I was trying to find a word for is "a speed between 3 and 4," because while 3 is a fine walking speed, 4 is incredibly fast by comparison. I haven't glanced at the speed value / actual movent conversions, but being able to tell something to go at speed 3.5 would be nice.

For normalizing, it should be something like:
    Code:
    //Assuming vx, vy, and vmax:
    vtotal = sqrt(vx^2 + vy^2) //get current velocity scalar
    //Swap from current velocity to desired velocity
    vx = (vx / vtotal) * vmax
    vy = (vy / vtotal) * vmax
    While making sure you don't do anything if vtotal is 0. Unless there's some extra stuff you have to do with the plugin setup?

5. xilefian

xilefian Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Here's a little preview video of 8-direction, multiframe character sprite support.

This is basically the prototype for the "extra frames". There's a load of things to fix (such as fallback to movement animation if no dashing animation is set) and there's no API for it at all at the moment. You basically write down the frame definitions in an XML file that corresponds to a character sprite and all characters that use that sprite will have the extra frames addition.

TheTitan99, Joy Diamond and Kvothe like this.
  6. Doktor_Q

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looking pretty good so far!

7. Dankovsky

Dankovsky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    RU
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is a great plugin! I was shocked the first time I could move between two characters standing together LOL. Will need some game redesigning or settings tweaking.

However it keeps giving me an error when I try to change location:
    TypeError: Cannot read property 'isReady' of undefined
    at Sprite_Character.isExtensionChanged (..../js/plugins/AltimitMovement.js:2710:50)
    at Sprite_Character.updateBitmap
    (ETC)

I wonder if it conflicts with some other plugin? Although I don't have any other movement plugins active.

8. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Out of curiosity, how does this handle move events? Such as chasing and the amount of "move ups" you have to input with the default UI?

9. Doktor_Q

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    By default, it handles them perfectly well without changing things. "Move up" moves the event one tile upward, and if you set an option, it will also center them in the tile.

There's also separate commands you can use to shift around events by partial tiles to take advantage of the new movement precision, listed out a page ago.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Archeia likes this.
  10. Kvothe

Kvothe The Bloodness Veteran

First Language:
    Brazil
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    WOW, such big script gained more more shape! If someday I think about to create a game, I'll use it :) Continue with this great work

11. xilefian

xilefian Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks, I've updated the Plugin with a null check here - can you re-download it and tell me if this issue is fixed?

Basically the new XML character animation system is in place (as a prototype) and this code was checking if your character's extensions are loaded - but your character has no extensions, so it should never have reached this code. Null check should fix it, please tell me if it does.

12. Gabo

Gabo Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Hi
    This is a great plugin, exactly what I need for my project.
    Bus a soon as I start the gama this screen appears, I can't even get to the title screen

Captura de pantalla 2017-12-05 a la(s) 09.28.57.png

Here is the console look of it
    Captura de pantalla 2017-12-05 a la(s) 09.08.11.png
    Any thoughts?

13. vico

vico Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi! Its me after a long time.

Any updates about possible support for MOG Chrono Engine (i've contacted MOG and he said he could do it)??

14. Doktor_Q

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Gabo those errors would suggest you don't have any valid images for your vehicles, and it's crashing because of it. Alternatively, there's an issue because of another plugin, I don't know your setup.

Joy Diamond likes this.
  15. Gabo

Gabo Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Thx for replying so fast :)
    I havent changed the vehicles, they still have the default sprites and I’m only using this plugin.

16. Doktor_Q

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Gabo beyond that, check to make sure you have the right version of the MV source code in your game- if it's an older version there could be incompatibilities, and try re-downloading the plugin to make sure that's up to date too. If it causes the same issue on a fresh project, then it's definitely a bug.

17. Gabo

Gabo Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Started a new project and it works fine so far :D

Thx!

Joy Diamond likes this.
  18. Linkerbell

Linkerbell bares fangs @ god Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been getting this error after my title screen, I believe I'm up to date on both the source code and your plugin.
    Any ideas as to what could be causing this?
    altimit.PNG
    [​IMG]

19. Doktor_Q

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Linkerbell judging from the first error, something in your project's cure is probably out of date- possibly your pixi library, if you've been updating the same source code for a while and just updating your basic .js files.

The basic diagnostic questions- do you have any other plugins running? Does it have this error if you start a fresh project?

20. xilefian

xilefian Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Still not 100% sure as to what the root cause of this problem is (are you loading a save-file?) - however I have gone ahead and updated the code to provide a fix for this error. Re-download the Plugin from github and all should be fine (report any future issues).