Not open for further replies.

Kanefe

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
So I've been wanting to make a fan game for pokemon that just compiles alot of the things that I've seen online about people dream game or this they would love to see in a pokemon game but while reasurchibg this stuff i found A bunch of stuff saying it was illegal with I kinda knew but if I were to make the game would I get in some legal trouble if I tried to make the game big and or popular or just a well know thing since I knwo about other big pokemon fan games but I don't know if I should Start it.

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Probably wouldn't. It's about as illegal as fanart or fanfiction, regardless what people argue (unless you're using rips then that's a bigger issue). Certain companies just tend more towards C&D then others. In that case just change a few things and make it original, but similar concepts.

Kanefe

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Probably wouldn't. It's about as illegal as fanart or fanfiction, regardless what people argue (unless you're using rips then that's a bigger issue). Certain companies just tend more towards C&D then others. In that case just change a few things and make it original, but similar concepts.
Yeah for me I would make a game from scratch in rpg maker my own story own region own every thing besides pokemon so it would have all 890 pokemon that exist In the game plus a couple new one's that I would add myself

poorrabbit

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You're allowed to make it. Sure. So long as it doesn't leave your computer.
Publishing it, even for free, will probably get the notice of the publisher
and get you into all kinds of legal trouble that you want nothing to do with.

Lihinel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
It's likely that noone will care, unless you hit it big, then Nintendo will shut you down.
If you want to save trouble, just copy their game mechanics and use them in a game with your own monsters and assets.

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh it's very illegal.

But here's a big suggestion: if you have the talent and dedication to make a fully functioning fangame, why not just make it an original ip? You really don't want those hundreds of development hours to be wasted on something you realistically can't put your name on.

It's why Mother 4 turned into Odyssey, and so on.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just because you see others on the net does not make it legal. It just means they have not been caught yet. And to answer your question it is illegal unless you get permission from the game maker themselves.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
as said above, a fangame (like all fanfiction and similar work) is always illegal.

the problem with copyright is that only the copyright-holder can enforce it, and if the company holding the rights does not know about your game, then it can't be forbidden.

so in any kind of fangame and fanfiction you usually have to hope that no one will ever like it, because the more people like and link it the higher the chance that it will come to the knowledge of the IP holder.
THAT is the reason why sometimes fangames and fanfiction can exist for years before suddenly vanishing (like it happened with the pokemon essentials), because only after years the IP holder learned of their existance.

And "Fair use" almost never counts for fangames, because there are requirements about the cases where fair use can be applied. In case of fangames the ONLY way to claim fair use is to have the game be a parody of the original. And most people who make fangames don't want to make jokes about what they are a fan of...

JamesRyan

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Never do a Pokemon fan game, or it will all be in vain. I have seen so many people dreaming of making a Pokemon fan game, but once Nintendo hears and sees (the bigger projects, the more risks), their games are done. No matter how hard they try, Nintendo won't give a damn due to the illegal assets used.

NotADev

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While I won't say anything more about the legality of the issue or whether you should even put time into making a fangame, I can say that there is a huge community of Pokemon fan game developers all over the internet. Do some googling and find the right forums, the people who make the games can give you an idea of how to make one or even if you should make one.

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah for me I would make a game from scratch in rpg maker my own story own region own every thing besides pokemon so it would have all 890 pokemon that exist In the game plus a couple new one's that I would add myself

From what I've heard, Nintendo is one of the more notorious for shutting down fan projects while companies like SquEnix are bit more lax as long as you follow certain rules. But not using any official material would give you a huge advantage over that - such as drawing all the pokemon yourself in different poses. That way should a C&D occur, you can just change all of them a little into your own creatures instead of being completely without any art assets for the long while.

I'm just eh about using rips. tbh legality of "I like the thing let me make something of it with my own hands" *BAM* C&D is really stupid and should be changed. But using their actual whole work such as art/sounds/code/etc. gets a bit ehhh for me, morally. XD Because that actually IS using the work with no effort in that part. You know?

My team is doing similarly with a Dragon Quest fan game stemming from a 80's anime. Basing it in the same universe/characters, but making everything down to the art and sound and plot progression, all ourselves.

XPKobold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Best not to even try it considering there's been so many questions about this as well as talk of pokemon essentials threads being locked here, after the software been C&D years ago. Your best bet is make your own game inspired by the base but completely different.

There's are games here that take inspiration from popular nintendo games but make it completely unique original, and different. The fact there there are monster catching games that are completely different from pokemon and have their own take on it should clue you in.

Last edited:

NotADev

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
...after the software been C&D years ago...

The hosts of the Essentials Wiki (fandom) and the downloads on there received a C&D but not the maintainer of the essentials kit themselves.

XPKobold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
The hosts of the Essentials Wiki (fandom) and the downloads on there received a C&D but not the maintainer of the essentials kit themselves.

Even so once something like that is C&D it's really not something that's worth using. especially since the essentials package is known to have ripped graphics from the games themselves. without having everything you work hard on destroyed it's just not worth the risk.

Last edited:

Jrrkein

Drago Royale
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Remember Uranium it was C&D by nintendo despite even it's new things, some sprites and resources are ripped and chances as they more likely to take down your fan project and shutting your effort for good.

The BIG N is pretty scary they taken down musics that you don't the have rights too.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you guys think Nintendo will do a C&D if you use Pokemon's "bumped into a wall" sound effect?

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Do you guys think Nintendo will do a C&D if you use Pokemon's "bumped into a wall" sound effect?
Definite yes! Same reason why you got to be careful about borrowing SE like menu & cursor SE from FF games. FF7's confirmation sound & menu cursor sound stand out to the point where anyone who's played those games would easily recognize them.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Seems like making a Pokemon fangame is riskier than making a Naruto, DBZ, or Mega Man fangame. Nintendo isn't very friendly with fan creations, unlike Capcom. Do you really like Pokemon so much to the point that you really want to make a game based on it? You can try, but just know that there's always that possibility of some suits knocking on your door someday.

Personally, I like fangames. They help fill the gap when a franchise you like has no new games. Well, at least the ones that have effort put in. I've seen a HDN fangame with more efforts put into it than your typical RPG Maker games on Steam or from people who don't take the time to learn or playtest properly.

Jrrkein

Drago Royale
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Big N is very protective over it's IP and can be really aggressive if they found out you used any assets or ripped content from them even just merely edit or fraknspriting they can snipe you very accurately and ceasing you from doing what you wanna do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Another thumb update. The nail is beginning to break away, along with the aforementioned hard and blackened dead skin. The final join has regained some of its flexibility, tho it's a bit stiff after being held still for so long. The very tip of my thumb has a strange dry and somewhat tingly feeling to it when I touch it to something, but at least it isn't numb. I am so ready for this to be over. :o
Can I get away with calling a "shortsword" a dagger and not a sword?
So here's the full cycles, I'm not so familiar with actually animating and giving motion so any observation on that matter would be really helpful! :kaoswt:
EfGHbLh.gif

Just now I realized I didn't scale it up so its smol...
I wanna make a YouTube video about reviewing a game, but I don't know what RPG Maker game I should play...
Guarii wrote on TSR's profile.
I want to create a OneShot style inventory. Without having the weapons and armor sections. Just the items. How can I do this?
images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amaginus