Am I alone?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Strashiner, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Strashiner

Strashiner Ambitious Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So just want a shout out of who's making a commercial game by themselves and with the help of the lovely people of this forum?

Am I the only one? It seems I notice all commercial game makers are with a friend or two that are either in close proximity or they know well.

Just wanted to say this

Sennie likes this.
  2. Alkorri

Alkorri Proofreading Penguin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    No, I intend to make a commercial game by myself, and with commissioning some artist friends of mine :)  I find I like it this way, saving time by doing the worldbuilding on my own and not needing to wait on anyone while I make my own assets (simple charsets, face edits, battler edits etc).

Mind you, however, I am doing another practice game before I actually make a commercial one, but just thought you should know that you are not alone.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2016
  3. Dream3r

Dream3r 90% Dreamer, 100% Dedicated Veteran

First Language:
    English

I don't think so.  I'm sure there's plenty out there but really it comes down to the simple fact making a commercial game, at least on of quality, takes a lot of talent in different fields.  It's possible to do all the art, programming, design, music, marketing and so forth all on your own but chances are you aren't great at all of them.  So you get other people.

Personally I work with a team of eight though I'm the only one who works for free.  Everyone else are freelancers.  Two are from the forums here.  I find that setup works for me.  I've tried completely solo, I've tried working with friends, the only thing I haven't tried is full time employees because I simply can't afford that but I like my general setup.  I design the different parts of the game, the team members make all the assets based on those designs, and then I put those assets together to make a game.  It works.  Just wish I had more time in the day to do everything.

4. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I could never manage working alone. Without my Racheal I am a hopeless and lost little lamb spewing stories out in a field and hoping they take shape. That said, our duo works well I think! She handles the technical stuff and I handle the creative stuff. In a sense, it could be similar to people who commission an artist and a writer and then build the game themselves, just - she gets the goods for free. (and is stuck following MY vision. what a patient girl.)

Saltwater Croc likes this.
  5. Tsukitsune

Tsukitsune Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've tried working alone for the past 2 years, haven't gotten as much done as I wanted.  I realized I needed more people to work with, bounce ideas off of, help split workload, do things that I'm not good at while I can focus on other things.  Also helps with motivation aswell which was a big thing for me.

6. Sennie

Sennie Demon Slayer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    No you aren't alone, I work by myself as well :) Perhaps I would be better off with a partner, but I really enjoy working alone. I have full Autism Spectrum Disorder and unfortunately this causes me to worry all the time which has stopped me from being able to have a job, so I spend all my time at home doing writing and playing games and using RPG Maker :)

I enjoy working alone. It means I can make games/projects at my own pace and don't have to rush anything :)

Matthew.

7. Strashiner

Strashiner Ambitious Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ah yes. This comforts me...

8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm doing mine on my own, though I've commissioned a few people here to do things for me.

9. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Nope, I'll eventually do a commercial game but probably hire people for certain area's in development.

I'm good at creating sprites, levels "I use to anyway... haven't done serious mapping since 2006", and designing battle systems "on paper".

But I'm not the best when it comes to scripting, audio and sound creation.

10. Besu

Besu Noob Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Nope, you're not alone. A lonely developer here. I will make games on my own and hiring some services like sprites, tilesets and so on. 

11. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been always making games by myself and only commissioning artists, musicians, or scripters for specific things that I needed. It all depends on how you prefer to work best. Some people prefer to work alone, others like to work in a team. :)

Bonkers and AwesomeCool like this.
  12. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you are interested in working alone, that is fine.  Others require help, and that is fine too.  My workshop accommodates a variety of projects and has serviced commercial games before which have made it on Greenlight and beyond.  So if you need help and don't have the connections yet there are still options for you. You don't need a close personal buddy, but it does help.

Without Mundy I couldn't have even managed a non commercial game.

Matseb2611 likes this.
  13. DamianFatale

DamianFatale Chocobo Knight Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm also alone, though I would like a creative friend to help me think out of the box, and push my boundaries. Maybe someone who could draw too.. I can't draw, but I'm okay at making maps. XD 

14. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I was alone for the majority of my games. Of course with a few commission here and there, but still.

15. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've been working mostly alone on my project, though I've hired someone to do the music and art, as I have the drawing ability of a 6 year old. Also recruited a tester for the project as well. But the eventing, mapping, story, etc, that's all been me.

16. Labyrinthine

Labyrinthine Artist/ Developer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    I've been hiring people to do music, and I mostly use edited RTP- and commercially free resource stuff for art. Events, maps, story and graphical/sound edits I'm handling mostly alone.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2016