FuryDr00d

Druid of the Alliance!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For the life of me, I can't think of names for towns! Or anything,as a matter of fact. Monsters, People, Castles, Worlds, Spells. Nada. I don't know how to have a "system" for naming things. Is anything else having this trouble? Does anyone mind sharing their "system"? I'd greatly appreciate it.

imascribble

The Dinosaur Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm terrible at naming things myself, to be honest. Most of the time, my towns or monsters are named from places or creatures in mythology (cause I'm a mythos nerd like that :p ). For character's names I just go to a random name generator and write down any I might like to use later. Not sure if it's much of a system, but it works for me :)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Search for fantasy random name generator. Most of them take common English fantasy names and garble them up for you to use.

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, all through life keep a written or mental database of names/sounds that you think are neat and you'd like to use someday. Also, don't be shocked if you can't name things right after creating them, sometimes you need some time to think.

There's lots of random name generators on the internet. I like using http://www.behindthename.com/ when I want a bit of meaning behind a name I'm picking. Sometimes I just toss things at other people and say "Name this!!"

Having trouble naming things doesn't mean you're lacking imagination. Naming things is bloody hard sometimes.

FuryDr00d

Druid of the Alliance!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you all for answering! Especially Makio-Kuta. Gives me reassurance. 

DouxHC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
As a personal experience I dont like random generators, but it can work wonders and cut production time a lot, normally I know what culture inspired the people in my game, if they are germans, or celtic, or mayans, or egiptian, or a combination of two cultures, then I look for traditional names of those cultures and their meaning, and then take those names or make a combination of two names so they give birth to a all new name. Still I suck at naming.

Centipede

No wait, that's the King.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Baby talk
Primarily Uses
It's a bit much to expect yourself to keep everything in your head. Do some research (like on actual cryptids/people) and make a list of names and things you like. no shame in keeping it simple.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I often come up with a word that describes a place or monster (or, less often, a person), find a neat-sounding word (either in another language or an uncommon word in English) with the same meaning, and then change a few letters to make it sound unique and subtle.

For spells, I just like to think of cool effects and describe those effects as succinctly as possible using the spell's name.  Clarity over aesthetics in name choice for game mechanics.

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Clarity over aesthetics in name choice for game mechanics.
Yes. Nothing worse then having to guess what the heck everything means and actually does. (Phantasy Star 4...... *glowers*)

JaiCrimson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Naming processes depend on your personal style. Some people feel like it's part of the poetry of story creation to take time to perfect names. Some people believe names are, ultimately, meaningless when intersected with human intent. With this is mind, does not being a wiz at naming stuff make you bland? Noncreative? Nope, not at all. Your creative power probably just falls into another specification. I could see you being good at coming up with special attacks, for example!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Did I add too many?? Is there such a thing?

Rabbit's Shop I've been reworking. Still some dated graphics but 99% satisfied I think.:kaophew:
Traps, detecting traps, and disarming traps including treasure traps have now been implemented into my Might and Magic-inspired project. If you don't want to get hurt, you better have a character who focuses on the perception skill, and you better have a character who focuses on the disarm skill!

Done tinkering a project idea for MZ, time to make a little document and wait for the release... :kaoswt:
Tileset Center... anybody wonder what that is in Visustella's latest video?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawnfox06