Am I missing something or are custom tile colliders impossible?

Cormorant42

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I have been trying for the past two days to figure out how to create custom tile colliders with either QMovement or AltimitMovement that are either region-based or tileset-based. I specifically do not want the colliders to be event-based because I don't want my map to have 5k events on it just for colliders. Here's the problems I've run into:

- QMovement addon "Region Colliders" has support for region colliders (go figure), but only boxes and circles. No polygons. All I'm asking for is a simple right triangle to make a diagonal corner, is that so hard?
- QMovement addon "Collider Map" allows you to define a map's colliders in a JSON file, but my map is far too big with far too many custom colliders to use this. (Dividing the map into smaller segments is also not possible because I'm going for Zelda-style scrolling screen transitions, which require all screens to be on the same map.)
- AltimitMovement supposedly(?) has support for TileD tile colliders in an XML(?) file, though I haven't been able to find the API for that project and I'm too tired to dig through the code. I did a brief ctrl-f and found nothing of relevance.

Right now my only two options are to either use image-based collision in QMovement, which I'm afraid to do because of potential lag, or to simply set diagonal corner tiles to "impassible" and blame it on a lack of plugin creativity.

A third option would be to create my own patch, either for Altimit or QMovement, that would implement polygonal region colliders.

With all that being said, am I missing something? Is there an easy way to make SIMPLE TRIANGLE COLLIDERS that work with collider-based movement? Or should I pull a Thanos and just do it myself?

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi!
I'm pretty sure that Quoxios has made a plugin that enables you to do collision by pictures while using his pixel movement plugin, right?
Like he is showing here:

Cormorant42

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, and that is certainly one of the possibilities I'm considering. I'm just worried about lag, and am wondering if there's any other way to do it (for reference, the map is 384x120 in MV units).

If I can't find another way to do it I'll probably end up using that :/

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
max default for mv is 252x252 if not mistaken, if you make it bigger,
yes it can lag.

note that collider map (the image you see above) will take alot of ram so it will
lag alot on big maps bigger than 100x100.

I dont know if there is an easier way to aproach this though.

TheGameAfter

I'm here to help and to learn!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
- AltimitMovement supposedly(?) has support for TileD tile colliders in an XML(?) file, though I haven't been able to find the API for that project and I'm too tired to dig through the code. I did a brief ctrl-f and found nothing of relevance.

This are the XML codes for polygon using 'altimit', you use them as a collider script using comment:

Polygon must be convex and clock-wise-winding (this example makes a triangle)
<polygon points='0.0,1.0 0.5,0.0 1.0,1.0' />

Regular polygon (this example makes a 5-pointed polygon; a pentagon)
<regular cx='0.5' cy='0.5' rx='0.5' ry='0.5' p='5' />

Just replace the script in the 'Tile collider' setting in the Plugin parameter and it should work (You might need to change the numbers but shouldn't be too hard).

*** Altimit emanation this script in this post. let me know if that solved the problem.

Last edited:

Cormorant42

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
max default for mv is 252x252

Actually it's 256x256, but that's just the limit that's imposed in the editor. You can easily get around it by closing your project and editing the Map00x.JSON file, and then it will show up in the editor as whatever size you chose.

Just replace the script in the 'Tile collider' setting in the Plugin parameter and it should work (You might need to change the numbers but shouldn't be too hard).

Thanks! I just looked at the plugin parameters, and it seems that the "Tile collider" setting is for events that use a tile as their graphic. Is there a way to do that where I *don't* have to use an ungodly amount of events? Hopefully either through regions or terrain Ids or something, those seem like the easiest ways to assign a collider specifically to a tile.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can easily get around it by closing your project and editing the Map00x.JSON file, and then it will show up in the editor as whatever size you chose.
There is a big problem with this:
If you make the mistake of opening and confirming the map properties after the change, then the default max is imposed on the map again, deleting anything above that limit.
So this doesn't work "easily", but only if you have all map properties (including encounter table etc) set before mapping and be very careful not to accidentally go into the map propertzies.

That said, the lower map limit (VXA had 512x512) is mostly for deployment tp mobile, because those devices can't handle larger maps. Increasing the map sizes should work for desktop based deployment, but can cause lag on mobile deployment.

Cormorant42

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you make the mistake of opening and confirming the map properties after the change, then the default max is imposed on the map again, deleting anything above that limit.

Yeah, I found that out the hard way a while ago. Luckily I had a backup of the map & was able to restore it completely in about three keystrokes, I'm 100% backing up everything lol

TheGameAfter

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks! I just looked at the plugin parameters, and it seems that the "Tile collider" setting is for events that use a tile as their graphic. Is there a way to do that where I *don't* have to use an ungodly amount of events? Hopefully, either through regions or terrain Ids or something, those seem like the easiest ways to assign a collider specifically to a tile.

You are right, It's been a while since I tried to use 'Altimit' for tiles, from looking back again, altimit indeed do not have a 'Tile collider' features (The reason: Altimit Movement uses polygon collisions, other plugins, like 'Qmovement' don't).

As for as I know, to setup up collider for tiles with 'altimit', you have three options:

1. TileD - You can definitely allow polygon collisions defined in TileD (without needing the TileD Plugin, just the collision data is used) and I would definitely go with graphical collision map too.

(2. Define your own polygon collision meshes - Honestly, this idea will be difficult to set up, I didn't teach this type of script myself, so this is just an idea: Generally what you can do is make a list of common shapes in the Plugin parameters and assign them to events. Unferchenly I didn't find any example of this idea).

3. Bigger'polygon' Size Events - what I end it up doing was, instead of using multiple events, I create an event with 'collider event size' script to block the areas in the way I want it to be, so a least you could increase the amount of event you need to get it to work, for adding 'polygon' size script in an event you will add <collider> before the script
and </collider> after the script.

Other than that, I don't know any other way to add 'polygon' to tiles using 'Altimit'.

I hope this will be helpful.

Cormorant42

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1. TileD - You can definitely allow polygon collisions defined in TileD (without needing the TileD Plugin, just the collision data is used) and I would definitely go with graphical collision map too.

I think this is the way I want to go, as I've already set up the collision tile data in TileD & exported it as both a JSON and XML. Which one do I use & which folder does it go in? I haven't been able to find altimit's API for the plugin which is making this so much harder than it needs to be

TheGameAfter

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think this is the way I want to go, as I've already set up the collision tile data in TileD & exported it as both a JSON and XML. Which one do I use & which folder does it go in? I haven't been able to find altimit's API for the plugin which is making this so much harder than it needs to be
I'm not sure if that's the API for TileD (or if is even one), xilefian talk about making the API for TileD but he never posts it, a least from what I know.

About which file, I don't think it matters which one, 'mv' accept/read both languages. In any case, try to put both files in the 'Data' folder. Alternatively, try to add them to the 'Map' folder you create specifically for TileD. Another option will be to put the JSON file in the 'Data' folder and the XML file in the 'Map' folder.

Note: Make sure when you check it to turn off any plugin you don't need for the altimit & TileD to work (Then if you get it to work you can turn on whatever other plugins you have, and test them one by one).

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just laid down a sick nasty new post in the MagiCats! Infinite Sadness thread! Lemme give ya a big ol' hug for it.

bg6.jpg
MacAdams wrote on Frogboy's profile.
Hey is there an MZ set of D&D style plugins yet?
Wheel of Attacks.png

MORE GAMBLING THEMED ATTACKS!

I AM UNABLE TO STOP!
Is it ok to repost stuff that i've posted to threads in the status feed?
If so, here's art of Shiloh, the main protagonist of the game i'm making:20220807_181702.jpg
They are meant to be ambiguous in gender, like Frisk from Undertale or Gogo from FFVI. I haven't decided what their age will be yet. Any ideas?
Please comment what you think about the art and design!
ScreenShot_8_10_2022_7_15_21.png
Looks like Mike's got a new party member in Robbi...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DieKleineSonne