First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Super Simple Mouse System
Shaz

Versions

Current version: 1.10

1.0 6 Sept 2013 - Initial Release1.02 7 Sept 2013 - Fixed game crash when loading a save file made prior to adding script - Fixed player stuck on impassable tile error when clicking while dismounting the air ship vehicle1.03 8 Sept 2013 - Fixed player moving to diagonal tile instead of adjacent tile when event is on a counter1.04 10 Sept 2013 - Fixed vehicle pathfinding on world map - Fixed event triggering when no path is found1.05 14 Sept 2013 - Tweaked accessing of tilemap_offset1.06 3 Nov 2013 - Disabled mouse control while player is waiting for an NPC move route (or for any non-parallel process event to finish) - Fixed events not triggering after player reaches them1.07 6 Nov 2013 - Slowed down mouse scrolling, and don't loop save files1.08 24 Nov 2013 - Catered for YEA Core script where screen size can be larger than map size, and map is centered - Fixed early event activation bug introduced in 1.06 - Replaced calculation of item boundaries in Windows_Selectable - Added ability to enable/disable mouse1.09 21 Dec 2013 - Fixed mouse re-enabled when a common event is called from an autorun or player triggered event1.10 6 Apr 2014 - Added interaction for sprites higher than 32 pixels tall (now you can click on the top of the sprite) - Activate an event without walking up to it (add a comment with <autoactivate> to the top of the event page) - Cancel mouse path when guiding the player with arrow keys - Menus ignore the position of the mouse when using the arrow keys - Fix issue where player won't walk to the other side of a counter opposite shopkeepers
Introduction

This is a complete overhaul and Ace conversion of the script originally written for XP by Near Fantastica and SephirothSpawn, heavily modified by Amaranth and used in all of the Aveyond games.

Features

- Custom mouse icons and text popups over events

- Pathfinding for player AND events

- Mouse control in menus and other windows

- Easy configuration options

Screenshots

Mouse Icons and Event Descriptions:

Even though it would take fewer steps to approach the shopkeeper on the left from below, the -2 0 in the comment tells the pathfinding script to move the player to the tile on the other side of the counter.

The shopkeeper on the right will be approached via the path that takes the fewest steps (from below) since there is no position override in the comment on that event.

The event's description (shown as text beside the icon) can be as many words as you like.
Pathfinding:

When you click on the top chest, the player will not open the chest while standing beside it, because of the cliff edge.

HOWEVER, if you used the keyboard instead of the mouse, pathfinding is overridden, and you WOULD be able to open the chest while standing on the tile to the right.

When you click on the Imp, the player will also walk up the steps to fight it.

HOWEVER, if the imp were set to Approach Player and Event Touch, it WOULD attack the player if the imp is on the hill and the player is below the hill on an adjacent tile.

Pathfinding and mouse processing do NOT override what the player can do via the keyboard, or what events are already programmed to do by the default scripts.
How to Use

The mouse system is a series of 8 scripts (kept separate for ease of maintenance). Open the .rar file below, open each .rb file in a plain text editor, and copy and paste the scripts each into new slots in Materials. Most of the methods are aliased, so this can go below other custom scripts. ALL scripts should be used together.

Mouse Icons

• Add, change and remove icons through the ICON hash, just below the comments in the Mouse 1 - Sprite script.
  • The hash key is the name (one word, alpha characters only, lower case), and the number value is the icon index in your System IconSet.
  • DEFAULT_ICON must have the name of one of the keys in the hash. This is what your mouse cursor will look like when it's not over an event that sets a custom cursor.
ICON = {'arrow' => 386, 'talk' => 4, 'look' => 3, 'fight' => 116, 'touch' => 491, 'exit' => 121}DEFAULT_ICON = 'arrow'If you don't want a generic 'exit' icon, but you want individual 'up', 'down', 'left' and 'right' icons, simply remove the 'exit' key and value, and add new values for each specific direction, along with the appropriate icon indexes.Event Icons and Descriptions

Add comments to your event pages in the following format to control mouse and pathfinding behaviour:

<mouse icon x y name>
  • icon is the name of the icon to show when the mouse is moved over the event. This must exist in the ICON hash.
  • x y is an optional addition, to force the pathfinding to move the player to an offset from the current event.
  • name is an optional description that will be shown beside the mouse icon. It may be one or more words.
Examples:
  • <mouse fight> will show the 'fight' icon when the mouse is over the event
  • <mouse look 0 1> will show the 'look' icon when the mouse is over the event, and will make the player walk to the tile below the event before the event is triggered (good for signs, mailboxes, etc, where you want the player to stand below the event and face up)
  • <mouse talk 0 2 Shopkeeper> will show the name Shopkeeper and a 'talk' icon when the mouse is over the event, and when clicked, will move the player to the tile two below the event (good for shopkeepers where there is a counter between the event and the player)
  • <mouse talk Nasty Girl> will show the text Nasty Girl along with a 'talk' icon when the mouse is over the event
Pathfinding
  • To make the player, or an event, walk to a particular tile, without having to check where they currently are and adding lots of directional moves, simply add a Move Route command, choose Script, and enter find_path(x, y).
  • The script will ATTEMPT to find a path to that tile (or an adjacent tile if the original one is impassable).
  • If a path is not found, no movement will occur.
  • If a path is found, the player or event will start following the path. But if, after starting to follow the path, an obstacle moves in its way and blocks the path, the player or event will only walk as far as the obstacle.
  • Adding Wait to the move route WILL NOT make the event wait until the path has been followed. Only until the path has been determined. If you want to pause processing until the player or event has reached the destination, you will need to do that separately (keeping in mind that the player/event may not actually reach the destination).
  • Any Set Move Route on the player or event while they are following a path will cause them to stop following the path and obey the new move route, even if there are no actual movement commands.
Enable/Disable MouseThe mouse is enabled by default. If you want to change this, use a Call Script command that passes a true (enabled) or false (disabled) value to the mouse:

$mouse.enabled = falseThis value is NOT saved anywhere - it is up to you to save it in a preferences file or as game data, and to load that value and call the command whenever your game is started or your save file loaded.Script

Get it here

Patches & Compatibility

Engr. Adiktuzmiko wrote a script that lets you save the enabled/disabled state.

You can find it here.

lordosthyvel has also made a patch for this script that allows diagonal movement.

You can find it here.

Magno has made a patch that fixes a problem in widescreen resolution when using Tsukihime's Unlimited Resolution script.

You can find it here.

Known Bugs

This does not work on maps that have horizontal or vertical looping (in Map Properties).

F12 causes the game to crash. I do not intend to address this, as F12 is not the standard or recommended way of starting a new game.

Script crashes if game title has non-Latin characters

FAQ

Q: Is this compatible with other scripts?

A: It is compatible with RTP scripts. It SHOULD be compatible with most other scripts, with the exception of those that do their own things with player/event collision (like pixel movement scripts) and possibly custom windows that don't behave like Window_Selectable. I don't know if the mouse scripts will work with those or not, but I do NOT plan to make mods to this script to make it compatible with any non-RTP scripts.

Credit and Thanks

- Shaz, Near Fantastica, SephirothSpawn, Amaranth Games

- lordosthyvel, for his diagonal movement patch

Author's Notes

• Okay for use in free and commercial games. Credit must be given.
  • Do NOT repost this script on other sites. Please provide a link here instead. I will NOT be going to other sites to give support for this script. 
  • Post any issues in this thread. I will attempt to fix any bugs with this script, when used with the RTP scripts. I will not attempt to fix bugs that are caused by using the mouse script with other custom scripts.
  • I do not recommend you use the find_path method on many events at a time (especially if they are likely to cross paths), or to make them walk long distances.

Hello!

I'm using your script for a while, and it works great, but one thing was always bothering me. Menu navigation is quite cumbersome with it, because you can't just easily navigate the submenus. For example, if I go into the Item menu, and into the weapon tab inside it, i have to press esc (or right click) to exit the weapon tab first, and only after that can I enter the armor tab. I can't go from the weapon tab to  another tab directly with the mouse. Same with any other menus.

Is there a solution for this?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is the default behaviour with keyboard also, and in fact is the way it works with the mouse, touch and keyboard in MV as well (which was made by the original developers, after this script was made).

The armor/weapon/item selection is one window, the list is another. Only one window can be active at a time, by default - you have to use click and right-click to define which one you want to be active.

It IS possible to rewrite the windows in such a way that they are ALL active at the same time, and ALL monitor for mouse clicks. But that would be a huge rewrite (changing not only the code associated with mouse control, but all the other stuff that's not touched by mouse control), and is not something I would consider doing. You would need to ask someone to do this for you, and I doubt anyone would take it on unless you were willing to pay a pretty substantial amount.

J_C

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
N/A
That is the default behaviour with keyboard also, and in fact is the way it works with the mouse, touch and keyboard in MV as well (which was made by the original developers, after this script was made).

The armor/weapon/item selection is one window, the list is another. Only one window can be active at a time, by default - you have to use click and right-click to define which one you want to be active.

It IS possible to rewrite the windows in such a way that they are ALL active at the same time, and ALL monitor for mouse clicks. But that would be a huge rewrite (changing not only the code associated with mouse control, but all the other stuff that's not touched by mouse control), and is not something I would consider doing. You would need to ask someone to do this for you, and I doubt anyone would take it on unless you were willing to pay a pretty substantial amount.
Yeah, I had a feeling that this would be more complicated than I'd like. Guess I have to bear with it. Maybe I could rearrenge the windows a little with Luna Engine so navigating them would need less entering/exiting windows. Like, i would have direct access to some windows from the main menu, instead of navigating deep into some submenus. :)

I'll figure something out. Thanks for the reply Shaz. 

J_C

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Shaz, is it possible to add the "display onscreen buttons" functionality to your scipt? I'm using the Super Simple Mouse script, and it works very well, but then I saw some other scripts which make it possible to have an inventory button on the screen for example. Like in the Mouse Buttons 2,5 script:

Unfortunately those scipts have their own quirks, so I don't (can't) use them in my game. But it would be awesome if your script had this function. Being a total programmer n00b, I can't look at other scripts and add this functionality myself.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is a hud, and yes, it's possible.

In fact, I wrote a small hud for someone else's request in this thread. I know there's a few pages, but if you look through them you should be able to find the request and the script. Hopefully you'll find it easy enough to modify yourself for the buttons you want, but if you can't, just let me know.

Reactions: J_C

J_C

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
N/A
That is a hud, and yes, it's possible.

In fact, I wrote a small hud for someone else's request in this thread. I know there's a few pages, but if you look through them you should be able to find the request and the script. Hopefully you'll find it easy enough to modify yourself for the buttons you want, but if you can't, just let me know.
Thanks, I will look it up.

Edit: Found it. It is the #51 post in this thread. Just a few quick questions:

- Looking at the code, am I assuming right that this script will make a horizontal HUD at the buttom? So if I enter let's say 32 as HUD_HEIGHT, then the whole bottom line of tiles will be taken up by the HUD, and won't register movement.

- How will I add the button icons/pictures to be always visible. Call it as a Show picture script on every map?

- Could you help me with this line: # replace menu_icon_x1 and menu_icon_x2 with the left & right x positions of the menu icon - Does this mean that if I have a menu icon let's say 3 tiles wide, I have to enter the the leftmost and rightmost coordinates of the icon?

Edit 2: I made the script changes, but I think I messed up something. Although the game runs (I ran a fresh new game by the way), there is nothing new in it, and I definitely can't see any hud. Here is my script:

#============================================================================# SUPER SIMPLE MOUSE SCRIPT

# v1.10 by Shaz

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------

# This is a conversion of the XP Mouse script by Near Fantastica and

# SephirothSpawn modified by Amaranth Games, to run under VX Ace.

# To Install:

# Copy and paste into a new slot in materials, below all other scripts

# To Customize:

# Add keyword icon index pairs to the ICON hash (below this documentation).  

# Each of the keywords can be used in an event comment to make the mouse

# cursor change into that icon when hovering over the event.

# To Use:

# Add the following comment to an event page:

#   <mouse icon [x y] [name]>

#   where icon is the keyword from the ICON hash below

#   x and y are the offsets to override player movement (optional)

#   name is the text to display next to the icon when hovering over the event (optional)

#

# Examples:

# <mouse fight>

#   will change the cursor into the 'fight' icon when over the event

# <mouse touch 0 1>

#   will change the cursor into the 'touch' icon when over the event, and

#   make the player walk to the tile below the event when the mouse button is

#   clicked

# <mouse talk Gloria>

#   will change the cursor into the 'talk' icon and display the name Gloria

# <mouse talk 0 2 Henry Smith>

#   will change the cursor into the 'talk' icon and display the name Henry Smith,

#   and when the mouse button is clicked, the player will walk to the tile

#   two below the event (good to use for shops where there's a counter in between)

#

# To force pathfinding on the player or an event, simply add a move route with

# the player or event as the subject, with a Script command, and call

# find_path(x, y) where x and y are the coordinates of the tile you want to move to

# Examples:

# Set Move Route (Player): Script: find_path(5, 8)

#   will make the player find a path to tile 5, 8

# Set Move Route (This Event): Script: find_path(10, 5)

#   will make the event find a path to tile 10, 5

#

# NOTE: The path will be ATTEMPTED.  If there is no path TO that exact tile,

# a path to an adjacent tile will be attempted.  If no path is found there

# either, no movement will occur.

# If a route is found, the player or event will begin moving towards it.  But

# if their path is blocked while they are moving, movement will be cancelled.

# Author's Notes:

# This script should work with any RTP script.

# I do not guarantee that it will work with ANY other script (especially anything

# that overrides player or event movement, such as pixel movement scripts, or

# custom window scripts).

#

# Script OVERWRITES the following methods:

# Game_Map.setup_starting_map_event

# Game_Map.setup_autorun_common_event

#

# If you have other scripts that ALIAS these methods, this mouse script should

# be placed above them.

# Terms:

# Use in free and commercial games

# Credit: Near Fantastica, SephirothSpawn, Amaranth Games, Shaz

# Versions:

# 1.0  -  6 Sept 2013 - initial release

# 1.02 -  7 Sept 2013 - fixed crash when loading games saved prior to adding script

#                     - fixed player gets stuck on impassable area on world map

#                       when clicking while leaving air ship

# 1.03 -  8 Sept 2013 - fixed actor moving to diagonal tile instead of adjacent

# 1.04 - 10 Sept 2013 - fixed vehicle pathfinding on world map

#                     - fixed event trigger when no path found

# 1.05 - 14 Sept 2013 - tweaked accessing of tilemap offset

# 1.06 -  3 Nov  2013 - disabled mouse movement when waiting for NPC move route

#                     - fixed events not triggering after player finishes walking

# 1.07 -  6 Nov  2013 - slow down mouse scrolling, and don't loop save files

# 1.08 - 24 Nov  2013 - cater for YEA Core large resolution with too-small maps

#                     - fixed early event activation bug introduced in 1.06

#                     - replaced calc of Windows_Selectable boundaries with item_rect

#                     - added ability to completely disable mouse

# 1.09 - 21 Dec  2013 - fixed mouse re-enable when calling common events

# 1.10 -  6 Apr  2014 - add interaction for top part of > 32pixel high event

#                     - activate an event without walking up to it

#                       (add <autoactivate> comment at top of event page)

#                     - arrow keys override mouse movement when pathfinding

#                     - ignore mouse in menus when using keyboard

#                     - make player walk to counter opposite shopkeepers

#============================================================================

# SUPER SIMPLE MOUSE SCRIPT

# Mouse Sprite

# Add/remove/change icon names here.  The icon name is what will be used in the

# event <mouse ...> command to show a different mouse icon when hovering over

# the event.  These MUST be in lower case here!

ICON = {'arrow' => 386, 'talk' => 4, 'look' => 3, 'fight' => 116,

'touch' => 491, 'exit' => 121}

DEFAULT_ICON = 'arrow'

class Sprite_Mouse < Sprite

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------

# * Initialization

def initialize

super

self.z = 10100

self.ox = 4

update

@dummy = Bitmap.new(32, 32)

self.bitmap = Bitmap.new(32, 32)

@enabled = true

@ignored = false

end

# * Frame Update

def update

return if !@enabled

super

if !SceneManager.scene.nil?

if !Mouse.position.nil?

mx, my = *Mouse.position

if @cursor == DEFAULT_ICON

self.x = mx unless mx.nil?

else

self.x = [mx, Graphics.width - self.bitmap.width].min unless mx.nil?

end

self.y = my unless my.nil?

end

if @scene != SceneManager.scene.class || Mouse.trigger?

@scene = SceneManager.scene.class

set_bitmap

end

end

end

# * Set Bitmap

def set_bitmap(cursor = DEFAULT_ICON, text = nil)

if @ignored

cursor = DEFAULT_ICON

text = nil

end

if @cursor != cursor || @text != text

@cursor = cursor

@text = text

item_cursor = ICON[cursor]

rect = Rect.new(item_cursor % 16 * 24, item_cursor / 16 * 24, 24, 24)

if @text.nil?

self.bitmap = Bitmap.new(24, 32)

self.bitmap.blt(0, 0, Cache.system('Iconset'), rect)

else

w = @dummy.text_size(@text).width

h = @dummy.font.size

bitmap = Bitmap.new(26 + w, [32, h+2].max)

bitmap.font.size = @dummy.font.size

bitmap.font.shadow = true

if self.x + 26 + w > Graphics.width

bitmap.draw_text(0, 0, w, h, @text)

bitmap.blt(w, 0, Cache.system('Iconset'), rect)

else

bitmap.blt(0, 0, Cache.system('Iconset'), rect)

bitmap.draw_text(26, 0, w, h, @text)

end

self.bitmap = bitmap

end

end

end

# * Update Event Cursors

def update_event_cursors

# Remove mouse icon and text if we're off the grid

if Mouse.grid.nil?

set_bitmap

return

end

# Set cursor and text according to event

x, y = *Mouse.grid

event = $game_map.lowest_mouse_event_xy(x, y)

unless event.nil? && y < 410

if !event.mouse_icon.nil? || !event.mouse_text.nil?

set_bitmap(event.mouse_icon, event.mouse_text)

return

end

end

# default bitmap if not over an event

set_bitmap

end

# * Enable Mouse

def enabled=(value)

@enabled = value

self.visible = value

end

# * Mouse Enabled?

def enabled?

@enabled

end

# * Ignore Mouse

def ignored=(value)

@ignored = value

end

# * Mouse Ignored?

def ignored?

@ignored

end

end

$mouse = Sprite_Mouse.new

# Mouse Module

#==============================================================================

# ** Mouse Module

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#  by Near Fantastica and SephirothSpawn

#  adapted and converted to VX Ace by Shaz

#==============================================================================

module Mouse

# * Mouse to Input Triggers

#   key => Input::KeyCONSTANT (key: 0 - left, 1 - middle, 2 - right)

Mouse_to_Input_Triggers = {0 => Input::C, 1 => Input::B, 2 => Input::A}

# * API Declarations

GAKS = Win32API.new('user32', 'GetAsyncKeyState', 'i', 'i')

GSM = Win32API.new('user32', 'GetSystemMetrics', 'i', 'i')

Cursor_Pos = Win32API.new('user32', 'GetCursorPos', 'p', 'i')

Scr2cli = Win32API.new('user32', 'ScreenToClient', %w(l p), 'i')

Client_rect = Win32API.new('user32', 'GetClientRect', %w(l p), 'i')

Findwindow = Win32API.new('user32', 'FindWindowA', %w(p p), 'l')

Readini = Win32API.new('kernel32', 'GetPrivateProfileStringA', %w(p p p p l p), 'l')

ShowCursor = Win32API.new('user32', 'ShowCursor', 'i', 'l')

# * Module Variables

@triggers = [[0, 1], [0, 2], [0, 4]]

@old_pos = 0

@pos_i = 0

@sys_cursor_visible = false

# * Mouse Grid Position

def self.grid

return nil if @pos.nil?

mx, my = SceneManager.scene.instance_variable_get:)@spriteset).tilemap_offset

x = (@pos[0] + mx) / 32

y = (@pos[1] + my) / 32

return [x, y]

end

# * Mouse Position

def self.position

return @pos.nil? ? [0, 0] : @pos

end

# * Mouse Global Position

def self.global_pos

pos = [0, 0].pack('ll')

return Cursor_Pos.call(pos) == 0 ? nil : pos.unpack('ll')

end

# * Screen to Client

def self.screen_to_client(x=0, y=0)

pos = [x, y].pack('ll')

return Scr2cli.call(self.hwnd, pos) == 0 ? nil : pos.unpack('ll')

end

# * Mouse Position

def self.pos

gx, gy = global_pos

x, y = screen_to_client(gx, gy)

# Test boundaries

begin

if (x >= 0 && y >= 0 && x <= Graphics.width && y <= Graphics.height)

return x, y

else

return -20, -20

end

rescue

return 0, 0

end

end

# * Update Mouse Position

def self.update

old_pos = @pos

@pos = self.pos

# Has mouse been moved?

if old_pos != @pos

Input.method = :mouse

end

# Which mouse to show - custom, or system?

if $mouse.enabled? == @sys_cursor_visible

@sys_cursor_visible = !@sys_cursor_visible

ShowCursor.call(@sys_cursor_visible ? 1 : 0)

end

return if !$mouse.enabled?

# Leaving / Entering Range?

if old_pos != [-20, -20] && @pos == [-20, -20] # leaving range

ShowCursor.call(1)

elsif old_pos == [-20, -20] && @pos != [-20, -20] # entering range

ShowCursor.call(0)

end

# Update Triggers

for i in @triggers

n = GAKS.call(i[1])

if [0, 1].include?(n)

i[0] = (i[0] > 0 ? i[0] * -1 : 0)

else

i[0] = (i[0] > 0 ? i[0] + 1 : 1)

end

end

end

# * Trigger?

#   id : 0:Left, 1:Right, 2:Center

def self.trigger?(id = 0)

if pos != [-20, -20]

return @triggers[id][0] == 1

end

return false

end

# * Repeat?

#   id : 0:Left, 1:Right, 2:Center

def self.repeat?(id = 0)

return @triggers[id][0] > 0 && @triggers[id][0] % 5 == 1

end

# * Hwnd

def self.hwnd

if @hwnd.nil?

title = "\0" * 256

Readini.call('Game', 'Title', '', title, 255, '.\\Game.ini')

title.delete!("\0")

@hwnd = Findwindow.call('RGSS Player', title)

ShowCursor.call(0)

end

return @hwnd

end

# * Client Size

def self.client_size

rect = [0, 0, 0, 0].pack('l4')

Client_rect.call(self.hwnd, rect)

return rect.unpack('l4')[2..3]

end

end

# Input

class << Input

# * Public Instance Variables

attr_accessor :method

# * Alias Listings

alias :seph_mouse_input_update :update

alias :seph_mouse_input_trigger? :trigger?

alias :seph_mouse_input_repeat? :repeat?

# * Frame Update

def update

$mouse.update

Mouse.update

seph_mouse_input_update

# Are we using the mouse or the keyboard?

@method = :keyboard if dir4 != 0 || dir8 != 0

end

# * Trigger? Test

def trigger?(constant)

return true if seph_mouse_input_trigger?(constant)

if $mouse.enabled? && !Mouse.pos.nil?

if Mouse::Mouse_to_Input_Triggers.has_value?(constant)

return true if Mouse.trigger?(Mouse::Mouse_to_Input_Triggers.index(constant))

end

end

return false

end

# * Repeat? Test

def repeat?(constant)

return true if seph_mouse_input_repeat?(constant)

if $mouse.enabled? && !Mouse.pos.nil?

if Mouse::Mouse_to_Input_Triggers.has_value?(constant)

return true if Mouse.repeat?(Mouse::Mouse_to_Input_Triggers.index(constant))

end

end

return false

end

end

# Map

class Spriteset_Map

# * Tilemap Offset

def tilemap_offset

if $imported && $imported["YEA-CoreEngine"]

[@tilemap.ox - @viewport1.rect.x, @tilemap.oy - @viewport1.rect.y]

else

[@tilemap.ox, @tilemap.oy]

end

end

end

class Game_Map

# * Detect/Set Up Starting Map Event

def setup_starting_map_event

event = @events.values.find {|event| event.starting }

event.clear_starting_flag if event

@interpreter.setup(event.list, event.id, event.trigger_in?([0,1,2,3])) if event

event

end

# * Detect/Set Up Autorun Common Event

def setup_autorun_common_event

event = $data_common_events.find do |event|

event && event.autorun? && $game_switches[event.switch_id]

end

@interpreter.setup(event.list, 0, true) if event

event

end

# * Get ID of Lowest Mouse-enabled Event at Designated Coordinates

def lowest_mouse_event_xy(x, y)

list = events_xy(x, y) + events_xy(x, y+1)

list.sort! {|a, b| b.y - a.y}

evt = nil

list.each do |event|

if (event.pos?(x, y) || (event.pos?(x, y+1) && event.height > 32)) &&

(evt.nil? || event.y > evt.y)

evt = event

break

end

end

return evt

end

end

class Scene_Map

# * Frame Update

alias shaz_mouse_scene_map_update update

def update

$mouse.update_event_cursors

update_hud

shaz_mouse_scene_map_update

end

end

# * HUD

def update_hud

mx, my = Mouse.pos

# if mouse is clicked over the hud

if my <= 32 && Mouse.trigger?(0)

# set the menu actor as the leader for any 'personal' commands (equip, skills, etc)

$game_party.menu_actor = $game_party.members[0]

# determine what icon was clicked on

# Menu

if mx.between?(menu_icon_x1, menu_icon_x2) # replace menu_icon_x1 and menu_icon_x2 with the left & right x positions of the menu icon

SceneManager.call(Scene_Menu)

Window_MenuCommand::init_command_position

end

# Items

if mx.between?(items_icon_x1, items_icon_x2)

SceneManager.call(Scene_Item)

end

# Skills

if mx.between?(skill_icon_x1, skill_icon_x2)

SceneManager.call(Scene_Skills)

end

# Equip

if mx.between?(equip_icon_x1, equip_icon_x2)

SceneManager.call(Scene_Equip)

end

# and so on for the rest of your icons

end

end

# Event

module RPG

class Event

class Page

#--------------------------------------------------------------------

attr_reader :mouse_icon

attr_reader :mouse_text

attr_reader :mouse_position

attr_reader :mouse_autoactivate

# * Build Stats

def build_stats

# Mouse icons (icon mandatory, others optional)

# <mouse icon destx desty name>

@mouse_icon = nil

@mouse_text = nil

@mouse_position = [0, 0]

@mouse_autoactivate = false

# look for mouse instructions

list.each do |command|

if [108, 408].include?(command.code)

comment = command.parameters[0]

case comment

when /<mouse/i

params = /<mouse (.*)>/i.match(comment)[1].split(' ')

@mouse_icon = params.shift

if params.size > 1 && params[0] =~ /\d+/ && params[1] =~ /\d+/

@mouse_position = [params.shift.to_i, params.shift.to_i]

end

if params.size > 0

@mouse_text = params.join(' ')

end

when /<autoactivate>/

@mouse_autoactivate = true

end

end #if

end #do

end #def

end

end

end

class Game_Event < Game_Character

attr_reader   :mouse_icon

attr_reader   :mouse_text

attr_reader   :mouse_position

attr_reader   :mouse_autoactivate

# * Start Event

alias shaz_mouse_game_event_start start

def start

$game_player.start_event(@id) if !empty?

shaz_mouse_game_event_start

end

# * Clear Event Page Settings

alias shaz_mouse_game_event_clear_page_settings clear_page_settings

def clear_page_settings

shaz_mouse_game_event_clear_page_settings

@mouse_icon = nil

@mouse_text = nil

@mouse_position = [0, 0]

@mouse_autoactivate = false

@height = 0

end

# * Set Up Event Page Settings

alias shaz_mouse_game_event_setup_page_settings setup_page_settings

def setup_page_settings

shaz_mouse_game_event_setup_page_settings

@page.build_stats

@mouse_icon         = @page.mouse_icon

@mouse_text         = @page.mouse_text

@mouse_position     = @page.mouse_position

@mouse_autoactivate = @page.mouse_autoactivate

set_size

end

end

# Character

class Game_CharacterBase

attr_reader :height                            # Height of character bitmap

# * Initialize Public Member Variables

alias shaz_mouse_game_characterbase_init_public_members init_public_members

def init_public_members

shaz_mouse_game_characterbase_init_public_members

@height = 0

end

# * Change Graphics

#     character_name  : new character graphic filename

#     character_index : new character graphic index

alias shaz_mouse_game_characterbase_set_graphic set_graphic

def set_graphic(character_name, character_index)

shaz_mouse_game_characterbase_set_graphic(character_name, character_index)

set_size

end

# * Set character width/height size

def set_size

bw = Cache.character(@character_name).width

bh = Cache.character(@character_name).height

sign = @character_name[/^[\!\$]./]

if sign && sign.include?('$')

@width = bw / 3

@height = bh / 4

else

@width = bw / 12

@height = bh / 8

end

end

# * Detect Collision with Event

def collide_with_events?(x, y)

$game_map.events_xy_nt(x, y).any? do |event|

self != event && (event.normal_priority? || self.is_a?(Game_Event))

end

end

# * Detect Collision with Vehicle

def collide_with_vehicles?(x, y)

!self.is_a?(Game_Player) && ($game_map.boat.pos_nt?(x, y) || $game_map.ship.pos_nt?(x, y))

end

# * Frame Update

alias shaz_mouse_game_characterbase_update update

def update

run_path if @runpath

shaz_mouse_game_characterbase_update

end

# * Run Path

def run_path

return if moving?

@step = @map.nil? || @map[@x, @y].nil? ? 0 : @map[@x, @y] - 1

if @step < 1

clear_path

else

x, y = @x, @y

dirs = []

dirs.push(6) if @map[@x+1, @y] == @step && passable?(@x, @y, 6)

dirs.push(2) if @map[@x, @y+1] == @step && passable?(@x, @y, 2)

dirs.push(4) if @map[@x-1, @y] == @step && passable?(@x, @y, 4)

dirs.push(8) if @map[@x, @y-1] == @step && passable?(@x, @y, 8)

while dirs.size > 0

dir = dirs.delete_at(rand(dirs.size))

move_straight(dir)

break if x != @x || y != @y

end

# clear the path if we couldn't move

clear_path if x == @x && y == @y

end

end

# * Find Path

def find_path(x, y)

sx, sy = @x, @y

@tx, @ty = x, y

result = setup_map(sx, sy)

@runpath = result[0]

@map = result[1]

@map[sx, sy] = result[2] if result[2] != nil

end

# * Clear Path

def clear_path

@map = nil

@runpath = false

end

# * Setup Map

def setup_map(sx, sy)

map = Table.new($game_map.width, $game_map.height)

update_counter = 0

map[@tx, @ty] = 1

old_positions = [[@tx, @ty]]

new_positions = []

# if tile is impassable, but CAN move to adjacent tiles, use the adjacent tiles instead

if (!passable?(@tx, @ty, 2) && !passable?(@tx, @ty, 4) &&

!passable?(@tx, @ty, 6) && !passable?(@tx, @ty, 8)) ||

$game_map.events_xy_nt(@tx, @ty).any? { |evt| evt.normal_priority? && evt != self }

old_positions = []

# Can we move from the destination tile in any direction?

if map_passable?(@tx, @ty, 2)

map[@tx, @ty+1] = 1

old_positions.push([@tx, @ty+1])

end

if map_passable?(@tx, @ty, 8)

map[@tx, @ty-1] = 1

old_positions.push([@tx, @ty-1])

end

if map_passable?(@tx, @ty, 4)

map[@tx-1, @ty] = 1

old_positions.push([@tx-1, @ty])

end

if map_passable?(@tx, @ty, 6)

map[@tx+1, @ty] = 1

old_positions.push([@tx+1, @ty])

end

# If not, can we at least move up to the destination tile?

if old_positions.size == 0

if map_passable?(@tx-1,@ty,6)

map[@tx-1,@ty] = 1

old_positions.push([@tx-1,@ty])

end

if map_passable?(@tx+1,@ty,4)

map[@tx+1,@ty] = 1

old_positions.push([@tx+1,@ty])

end

if map_passable?(@tx,@ty-1,2)

map[@tx,@ty-1] = 1

old_positions.push([@tx,@ty-1])

end

if map_passable?(@tx,@ty+1,8)

map[@tx,@ty+1] = 1

old_positions.push([@tx,@ty+1])

end

end

end

# If there are any counters, can we move to the tile on the other side?

if map_passable?(@tx-2,@ty,6) && $game_map.counter?(@tx-1,@ty)

map[@tx-2,@ty] = 1

old_positions.push([@tx-2,@ty])

end

if map_passable?(@tx+2,@ty,4) && $game_map.counter?(@tx+1,@ty)

map[@tx+2,@ty] = 1

old_positions.push([@tx+2,@ty])

end

if map_passable?(@tx,@ty-2,2) && $game_map.counter?(@tx,@ty-1)

map[@tx,@ty-2] = 1

old_positions.push([@tx,@ty-2])

end

if map_passable?(@tx,@ty+2,2) && $game_map.counter?(@tx,@ty+1)

map[@tx,@ty+2] = 1

old_positions.push([@tx,@ty+2])

end

depth = 2

depth.upto(100) { |step|

break if old_positions[0].nil?

@step = step

loop do

break if old_positions[0].nil?

x, y = old_positions.shift

return [true, map, @step-1] if x == sx && y == sy

if map[x, y + 1] == 0 && passable?(x, y, 2)

map[x, y + 1] = @step

new_positions.push([x, y + 1])

end

if map[x - 1, y] == 0 && passable?(x, y, 4)

map[x - 1, y] = @step

new_positions.push([x - 1, y])

end

if map[x + 1, y] == 0 && passable?(x, y, 6)

map[x + 1, y] = @step

new_positions.push([x + 1, y])

end

if map[x, y - 1] == 0 && passable?(x, y, 8)

map[x, y - 1] = @step

new_positions.push([x, y - 1])

end

# Update graphics? (to reduce lag)

update_counter += 1

if update_counter > 50

Graphics.update

update_counter = 0

end

end

old_positions = new_positions

new_positions = []

}

return [false, nil, nil]

end

end  

class Game_Character < Game_CharacterBase

# * Force Move Route

alias shaz_mouse_game_character_force_move_route force_move_route

def force_move_route(move_route)

clear_path

shaz_mouse_game_character_force_move_route(move_route)

end

end

# Player

class Game_Player < Game_Character

# * Trigger Map Event

#     triggers : Trigger array

#     normal   : Is priority set to [same as Characters] ?

alias shaz_mouse_game_player_start_map_event start_map_event

def start_map_event(x, y, triggers, normal)

@started_events = []

shaz_mouse_game_player_start_map_event(x, y, triggers, normal)

end

# * Start Event

def start_event(event_id)

@started_events = [] if @started_events.nil?

@started_events.push(event_id)

end

# * Processing of Movement via Input from Directional Buttons

alias shaz_mouse_game_player_move_by_input move_by_input

def move_by_input

if Input.dir4 > 0

clear_path

shaz_mouse_game_player_move_by_input

else

# Move by mouse input

if !$game_message.busy? && !$game_message.visible && !@move_route_forcing &&

!@vehicle_getting_on && !@vehicle_getting_off &&

Mouse.trigger?(0) && !Mouse.grid.nil? && !$mouse.ignored? && Mouse.pos[1] > 32

mx, my = *Mouse.grid

# turn in direction

if (@x - mx).abs >= (@y - my).abs

set_direction(@x > mx ? 4 : 6)

else

set_direction(@y > my ? 8 : 2)

end

# find path

@event = $game_map.lowest_mouse_event_xy(mx, my)

if @event.nil?

find_path(mx, my)

elsif @event.mouse_autoactivate

@event.start

@started_events = []

clear_path

else

find_path(@event.x + @event.mouse_position[0],

@event.y + @event.mouse_position[1])

end

end

end

end

# * Frame Update

alias shaz_mouse_game_player_update update

def update

shaz_mouse_game_player_update

update_pathfinding if !@event.nil? && !moving?

end

# * Check event after pathfinding

def update_pathfinding

if @map.nil? || @map[@x, @y] <= 1

dir = @x < @event.x ? 6 : @x > @event.x ? 4 : @y < @event.y ? 2 : @y > @event.y ? 8 : 0

# Face event and trigger it (only if not triggered by start_map_event)

turn_toward_character(@event) if !@event.pos?(@x, @y)

if !@started_events.include?(@event.id) && !@map.nil? && !in_airship?

@event.start

@started_events = []

end

clear_path

end

end

# * Clear Path

def clear_path

@event = nil

super

end

end

# Interpreter

class Game_Interpreter

# * Event Setup

alias shaz_mouse_game_interpreter_setup setup

def setup(list, event_id = 0, lock_player = false)

shaz_mouse_game_interpreter_setup(list, event_id)

@lock_player = lock_player

end

# * Execute

alias shaz_mouse_game_interpreter_run run

def run

$mouse.ignored = true if @lock_player

shaz_mouse_game_interpreter_run

$mouse.ignored = false if @lock_player

end

end

# Windows

class Window_Selectable < Window_Base

# * Frame Update

alias shaz_mouse_window_selectable_update update

def update

shaz_mouse_window_selectable_update

process_mouse_handling if Input.method == :mouse

end

# * Mouse Movement Processing

def process_mouse_handling

return unless $mouse.enabled? && cursor_movable?

# Add a delay to prevent too-fast scrolling

@delay = @delay ? @delay + 1 : 0

return if @delay % 3 > 0

mx, my = *Mouse.position

vx = self.viewport ? self.x - self.viewport.ox + self.viewport.rect.x : self.x

vy = self.viewport ? self.y - self.viewport.oy + self.viewport.rect.y : self.y

if mx.between?(vx, vx + self.width) &&

my.between?(vy, vy + self.height)

mx -= vx

mx -= padding

my -= vy

my -= padding

my += oy

for i in 0 ... item_max

rect = item_rect(i)

if mx.between?(rect.x, rect.x + rect.width) &&

my.between?(rect.y, rect.y + rect.height)

last_index = @index

select(i)

if @index != last_index

Sound.play_cursor

end

break

end

end

end

end

end  

class Window_NameInput < Window_Selectable

return unless $mouse.enabled?

return if @delay % 3 > 0

mx, my = *Mouse.position

vx = (self.viewport ? self.x - self.viewport.ox + self.viewport.rect.x : self.x) + padding

vy = (self.viewport ? self.y - self.viewport.oy + self.viewport.rect.y : self.y) + padding

if mx.between?(vx, vx + self.width - padding * 2) &&

my.between?(vy, vy + self.height - padding * 2)

mx -= vx

my -= vy

x = (mx > 5*32+16 ? mx-16 : mx) / 32

y = my / line_height

last_index = @index

@index = y * 10 + x

Sound.play_cursor if @index != last_index

end

end

end

class Scene_File < Scene_MenuBase

# * Update Cursor

alias shaz_mouse_scene_file_update_cursor update_cursor

def update_cursor

shaz_mouse_scene_file_update_cursor

process_mouse_handling if Input.method == :mouse

end

return unless $mouse.enabled?

return if @delay % 3 > 0

mx, my = *Mouse.position

vx = @savefile_viewport.ox + mx

vy = @savefile_viewport.oy + my

last_index = @index

new_index = vy / savefile_height

if @index != new_index

if new_index > @index

cursor_down(false)

else

cursor_up(false)

end

Sound.play_cursor

@savefile_windows[last_index].selected = false

@savefile_windows[@index].selected = true

end

end

end
Thank you for you help and patience. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you make changes to a script and need help, if it's a huge script, please don't post the whole thing - just the bits that you changed.

Those changes are based on a hud going the whole way across the bottom. For your purposes, that won't be good, because your hud is along the right, and you don't want to make the entire bottom of every map to the height of the hud inaccessible.

I really should redo it to make it easier to have hud elements anywhere on the screen. Can you work on other things in the meantime and just leave the hud processing out for a while? I do have to do some work for someone else on the mouse script in the next couple of days, so I'll try and take care of this at the same time.

J_C

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
N/A
If you make changes to a script and need help, if it's a huge script, please don't post the whole thing - just the bits that you changed.

Those changes are based on a hud going the whole way across the bottom. For your purposes, that won't be good, because your hud is along the right, and you don't want to make the entire bottom of every map to the height of the hud inaccessible.

I really should redo it to make it easier to have hud elements anywhere on the screen. Can you work on other things in the meantime and just leave the hud processing out for a while? I do have to do some work for someone else on the mouse script in the next couple of days, so I'll try and take care of this at the same time.
Oh sure, it is not that important that I need it right away. Just do you work and if you have some time, maybe you can do this. Thank you.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
How would I change the size of the text that is displayed when you hover the mouse over an event?
The popup text is a little large for my needs, so if it could be changed that'd be grand

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Try this ... find this line in the script (in the current version in pastebin, it's line 121):

Code:

Immediately after it, add this line:

Code:
@dummy.font.size = n
changing n to whatever font size you want to use.  I forget what the default is (I think it might be 24, so maybe try 22 or 20) - just experiment until you find something that you're happy with.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Try this ... find this line in the script (in the current version in pastebin, it's line 121):

Code:

Immediately after it, add this line:

Code:
@dummy.font.size = n
changing n to whatever font size you want to use.  I forget what the default is (I think it might be 24, so maybe try 22 or 20) - just experiment until you find something that you're happy with.

Thank you, worked like an absolute charm. And thank you also for the near-instant reply! I'm also having another issue with this script, if you could lend me your ear for a little longer.

Regarding the ability to 'offset' the pathfinding to an event (mouse look 2, 0): after playing with the script for a while, it seems that an event with an offset involved won't run when clicked on if you're already standing next to it.

OH! And (sorry about the question storm) is there a way to implement a ranged attack, i.e., to activate an event via mouse click without the player character first having to move towards it? I'm working on a Blade Runner-esque cyberpunk game and the ability to shoot would be v.useful.

Thanks again!

EDIT

Yikes, could I also ask if there's a way to make the player-character something you can click on to run a common event?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The issue with the offset has already been reported - I thought I had resolved that.  Do you have the latest version of the script?

Yes, you can do a ranged attack, where an event will activate without the player first moving towards it.  Check the notes on version 1.10 in the script header.

There is no way to make the player clickable - it only works on events.  You would need a mod to trigger a common event when clicking on the player.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The issue with the offset has already been reported - I thought I had resolved that.  Do you have the latest version of the script?

Yes, you can do a ranged attack, where an event will activate without the player first moving towards it.  Check the notes on version 1.10 in the script header.

There is no way to make the player clickable - it only works on events.  You would need a mod to trigger a common event when clicking on the player.

Is version 1.10 the most recent version? If so, that's the one I'm already using and the offset issue is still there :(

Not being able to click on the player is okay, was just a thought. Although I do want to assign a different button to the right button on the mouse.

I've found that section of the script (or at least I think I have), and changed it to this:

Mouse_to_Input_Triggers = {0 => Input::C, 1 => Input::X, 2 => Input::X}

But when I have a parallel process event running, "IF button 'X' is pressed, do this", the right mouse button doesn't activate it. Pressing the 'A' key on the keyboard (X=A) activates the event, so I know the event is working right.

I can't find anything about ranged attacks in the script notes. I've tinkered with a few different settings and wotnot but the player character either moves or the event won't activate :(

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The version number may not be correct.  Does your version have this at the top, as the last revision comment?

Code:
# 1.10 -  6 Apr  2014 - add interaction for top part of > 32pixel high event
#                     - activate an event without walking up to it
#                       (add <autoactivate> comment at top of event page)
#                     - arrow keys override mouse movement when pathfinding
#                     - ignore mouse in menus when using keyboard
#                     - make player walk to counter opposite shopkeepers

Putting <autoactivate> in a comment at the top of the event page will cause the event to activate when clicked on, without the player walking up to it.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The version number may not be correct.  Does your version have this at the top, as the last revision comment?

Code:
# 1.10 -  6 Apr  2014 - add interaction for top part of > 32pixel high event
#                     - activate an event without walking up to it
#                       (add <autoactivate> comment at top of event page)
#                     - arrow keys override mouse movement when pathfinding
#                     - ignore mouse in menus when using keyboard
#                     - make player walk to counter opposite shopkeepers

Putting <autoactivate> in a comment at the top of the event page will cause the event to activate when clicked on, without the player walking up to it.

I read on your profile page that you hail from Australia - even so, did you hear the thunderous clapping sound as my palm met my forehead?

I was determined not to post my last comment until I was sure I'd read the notes thoroughly, like you suggested. Sincere apologies.

Any thoughts on why I can't get my RMB to activate a parallel process event?

J_C

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
N/A
So, I've got another idea for my game, I don't know if it is possible to do for this mouse script.

What if there would be some simple animation on the ground at the point where we click. Is it possible to implement?

J_C

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Shaz I ran into a pretty strange problem when I'm using your HUD extension of your mouse script. First, here is the part of your mouse script, which prevents me from activating the events when I'm standing next to them, if I click on a HUD icon. This is fine, it works as intended.

Clipboard02.png

Now, unfortunately this has a strange side effect. If an event is outside of the 590/380 pixel area specified above (this is shown with red in the following picture), then I can't activate an event if I'm standing next to it, only if I activate them from more than a tile distance.

Clipboard01.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The stream will be live shortly with some more Witcher 3! Feel free to drop by~
a_a
As if my week could not be more shitty, my Iphone is currently stuck on the apple screen. I'm decently tech savvy so I'm going through all the options b4 I have to go to apple, but from the signs I'm pretty hosed.
Rip a buncha music I had on there, photos from trips, and every message. I shoulda backed it up :(

R.I.P Fbi Surveillance Van #5296 (6s)
Its Chinese new year today! Happy year of the rat~
just got back from the doctor about my back - 3 -)~ will know in a week or so's time how bad the problem is. Overall doing better though! not hurting so badly.
Oh God.. I'm so in love using "this" keyword in my codes. It is so more readable than my previous global objects xD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
younes