Reapergurl

Drummer Extraordinaire! xD
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Amysaurus I see that in the digitizing process, little Dinobuddy went poof.

(The little dinosaur doodle on your shirt)

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Reapergurl Ah! Yeah - originally I was going to make the shirt green/white and put a dinosaur on it, but I decided I'd rather just keep it the original colors (I was actually wearing the shirt at the time, lol). :smile:

I haven't been up to too much, but here's some new stuff:
XsXAcVw.png

(The windows/doors are blank so I can put in a background later)
bf0o4LG.png

Last edited:

Scythuz

Explorer Bot *beep beep*
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Now the world will use your oven techniques against you, one burnt batch of cookies at a time~

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Scythuz Oh noooooooo! :biggrin:

Let's see... So, I finished that café map (at least for now), and I've been working on both making new sprites, and fixing up the old ones:
4niSMsE.png

QOgrKJA.png

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Yo! :smile: Here's some new stuff I've been up to:
Ikx4vsf.png
PmIg6NN.png

9TlLvAb.png

^^ Note: The armored lady's character design was originally by Hirei.

Last edited:

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
*dusts off this topic*

Here are a few of the assets I made for a contest game with my friend Retnuh:
d7pmBnO.gif

And here's a look at the shading process for my own project's tiles (special thanks to Nirwanda for making the initial versions <3 ):
XINTh9W.png

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I need this skill of regular art. =='

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@KayZaman @HexMozart88 I know it's kinda lame advice, but practicing consistently and trying out a variety of styles really does help a lot! If you have any questions about how I do something, you're more than welcome to ask me here or send me a message. :smile:

Here are some more tiles I ended up finishing:
WMZOjb6.png

Lonewulf123

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Enlish
I love the shading and pixel work.

It's so inspiring. I've got some practicing to do lol

Rhino

~Inactive~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not necessarily 'arts' advice questions but more of 'artist' questions, hope you don't mind my curiosity. :D

How long have you been drawing for?
What inspires you?
Do you prefer creating pixel art or digital art? (The style of your character busts)
How do you cope with artblock/drawing things that don't necessarily interest you?
Have you ever had a time when drawing wasn't fun anymore/if yes- what did you do about it? (This is how I feel right now, and it's not so fun:rswt)
And lastly.. um.. can we see one of your favourite pieces you've made? :cutesmile: It doesn't have to be recent.

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Lonewulf123 I'm glad you like it! I've always found that practicing/experimenting is the funnest part ^^ :cutesmile:

@Rhino Let's see..... Oh goodness, I think this is gonna be a text wall :D

How long have you been drawing for?
  • I’ve been drawing for as long as I can remember, though I didn’t take a formal drawing class until around 4-5 years ago. Besides that, I’ve been making pixel art for about 10 years.
What inspires you?
  • My biggest inspirations tend to be color schemes I come across, as well as different different artists' work. A lot of times I'll see a photo or something with a really nice color scheme, then try and design a character or scene around those colors. Other than that, I’ve always found it fun to look at the ways other artists handle colors and shading in their artwork, and seeing if there's some cool approach they've taken that could be applied to my own work.
Do you prefer creating pixel art or digital art? (The style of your character busts)
  • Hmmm.... that's a tough one, but I’d have to say pixel art. As much as I enjoy drawing characters on a tablet, I think my pixel art better reflects my ideas. Part of that comes down to how my brain works, I'd say - it’s easier for me to break down how an image should look as a bunch of squares than how I'd like it drawn out with a pen/brush tool.
How do you cope with artblock/drawing things that don't necessarily interest you?
  • Artblock is such a huge pain, ughhhhh. My strategy for working around it is to always have more than one piece going at once. So, for instance, if I’m working on a portrait and get stuck, I’ll pull up a set of tiles or a sprite to work on until I’m ready to go back to it. That way I'm still making progress, even if it's not on what I'd originally planned to.
Have you ever had a time when drawing wasn't fun anymore/if yes- what did you do about it?
  • Oh, absolutely! The time I remember best was back when I’d been spriting for around 2-3 years. I’d been keeping up a sprite topic, and putting out resources pretty consistently, but eventually there was a point where I felt like I'd stopped improving. I wasn't getting a lot of criticism/advice to work from anymore, and I knew I could still get better, but I was getting really frustrated. What I ended up doing was taking a break from pixel art for a few months, then coming back to it with fresh eyes. Coming back from that break, I was finally able to pinpoint a lot of the things I could do better.
And lastly.. um.. can we see one of your favourite pieces you've made? It doesn't have to be recent.
  • Of course! Out of my traditional work, I'd have to say this is one of the pieces I had the most fun with:
    m26ftZu.png
    The assignment was to replicate a Hellenistic statue that was assigned to us, so I had a lot of fun trying to study the statue and recreate it in pencil and paper. :)

IndigoAir

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
All the artwork here is really incredible ^.^ I'm so glad you shared it here. Your characters and environments look so interesting, the monster/skull stuff is totally my style! :D You said these are from a game you're working on, right? It seems like something I would enjoy a lot!

Artificer

Creator of worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Español
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Amysaurus those were nice answers, thanks for share a little about you, best wishes and good work!

Rhino

~Inactive~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for answering! :kaoluv:

I'm glad to know I still might be able to get my mojo back! I always ignored pixel art as a medium but starting a game project forced me to learn more about it and I think I underestimated how challenging and exciting it can be. I'll be keeping an eye on your stuff and trying to absorb some of that creative goodness ;):guffaw:

The shading in your traditional work is so smooth, it looks more like watercolour than pencil. Nicely done :o

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Rhino the way you do smooth shading like that is, I believe, by smudging. Of course, my art teacher doesn't allow us to smudge pencil even though half the time it looks ten times better (OK, Hex, calm yourself). But yeah, if I wasn't complete garbage at profile view, I might have enjoyed drawing something like that too (kind of a weird face it's making, though, LOL).

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@IndigoAir Thank you!! And yup! Most of the artwork I post comes from the game I'm working on with my team. :smile:

@Artificer No problem, and thanks! It's fun to answer some general questions for a change :cutesmile:

@Rhino You're welcome! Good luck with your project, and I hope you get your mojo back ASAP!! And thanks! Getting pencil to blend smoothly can be a real pain lol.

@HexMozart88 That's one way to do it, but I think it kind of ruins the "pencil texture" of a drawing, and it makes it more difficult to go back and adjust the values later. To get smooth blending like that, what I do is turn my pencil to the side, and shade by moving the pencil in a circular motion, rotating the paper as I go. :)

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ah, yeah, that's how I sometimes do it. I smudge for skin, though, when I want it to look glassy and such. for hair and all of that, I do your method. *shrugs* I'm probably a terrible artist like my teacher says, but what can I say? I need to smudge sometimes, or it'll never look smooth.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Mr_Petue wrote on Eliaquim's profile.
please explain, why you are voting my commentary negativ.
Uploaded a new Video today where I play Minecraft "The Bridge" please check it out & let me know what you think of it!
I normally only post these every 24 hours, but same-sex marriage is coming to Rune Factory 5 and I just wanted to share it with the world! https://www.xseedgames.com/2021/09/23/rune-factory-5-localization-blog-2/
Today was wild. In the day I worked in my project (and realized I have almost 100 hours wich is a happy surprise), and now i'm having to calm my boyfriend down because of chris pratt Mario.
Mr_Petue wrote on GamchiSamwise's profile.
hey pepe, why do you have a gun on your head? where is wojak?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bizwy