An actual project demo.

Discussion in 'Visual Novel Maker Improvement Boards' started by Isaac The Red, Feb 28, 2019.

?

Would you use this if it existed?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Isaac The Red

Isaac The Red RedMage Veteran

First Language:
    Gibberish
    Description of the Feature:
    RPG Maker, while it certainly has a lot more that kind of by default needs to be filled out, and a lot of features that arent apparrent or obvious from the outset, it however has the advantage of having been around for quite a long time. Meaning there are just so much more resources of information and the like to go though to get information about basic engine mechanics and implementations. VN Maker however has no such advantage. And the project templates included have almost nothing in them for a framework. The closest is the projects that use a scene based menu system as opposed to the built in one, but while helpful, does nothing to ease you into what is marketed as an easy to use but powerful engine for building your own VN games.

What I propose would be the inclusion of a project demo, that has all the basic elements one would usually have implemented in a stock standard VN. It doesn't need to be a big story attached to it or anything, though something like a "tutorial" made in the engine would be beneficial, as it would explain how it's doing what its doing, and why it's done that way.

Why is this feature good?
    I looked forward to VN Maker mainly because I enjoy VN games, never really figured out how to use the RenPy engine, and since I am very familiar with RPG Maker on the whole, I figured it would likely feel very familiar and have a somewhat familiar workflow. That was not the case, the UI is vastly different and much less friendly than RPG Makers setup. Having a project demo in place would bring some of that rpgmaker friendliness into the VN Maker engine, giving explanations to features and tools in the program.

Possible issues with this feature?
    Not being made in every possible release language right off the bat?
    Possible translation errors causing confusion between the languages released in?
    Time Consuming to make.
    People will complain that there are already tutorials/documentation to read.
    Feelings of elitism from already being competent in the engine without such a leg up might spread?
    More people understanding how to use the engine will lead to a sudden outpouring of bad VN Maker games, creating a new feeling of "oh no not another VN Maker game" on steam to go hand in hand with the current "Oh no, not another RPG Maker game" that already exists there.

[edit: added the poll]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  2. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @Isaac The Red You're missing the poll that is required to approve this topic. You can check the rules here.

3. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    There are some sample demos here that can be opened in the engine. It should've been part of the announcement unless you missed it?
    https://vnmaker.itch.io/

Isaac The Red likes this.
  4. Isaac The Red

Isaac The Red RedMage Veteran

First Language:
    Gibberish
    I did actually miss that announcement, Thank you. I do think at least one should be bundled with the editor though as not everyone passes through these forums.