An alternative for Forced Actions?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Raythalos, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Raythalos

Raythalos Just a regular Alicef@g~ Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    A year back, I posted a topic about Forced Actions causing a "stack level too deep" error if it's used in conjunction with scripts that run events on defeat (e.g. Yanfly's Death Common Events or Hime's Post Battle Events) if said Forced Action caused a party wipe.

It still remained unanswered, so I'm thinking there's no real solution to the problem... Anyway...

Is there a better alternative than using Forced Events for scripted battles? Let's say... where a boss would notify the player in a turn before using two certain skills in succession the next turn, every 5 turns?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. RibbonP

RibbonP New Member Member

First Language:
    Osage
    Why not do it with states & skills?
    For example,

Create a state named 'Charged'. Don't add anything in the 'when inflicted' tab.

Then, create a skill, whatever the name is. I'll use 'Skill A' as an example.

If you'd only like to notify the player, simply put the 'Using Message' as ' gets ready for a powerful attack! Better guard!'.

Also, don't forget to add the 'Charged' state you created before.

This way, when the skill is used, it would be something like this:

'Boss gets ready for a powerful attack! Better guard!'.

Create another skill, in this case 'Powerful Attack', and have it remove the 'Charged' state.

Then, in the 'Enemies' tab (@ Database section of RMVX ACE), select the boss unit, and in the 'Action Patterns', make up things for activating 'Skill A'.

Once you've done that, add another thing in the 'Action Patterns', which would be:

Skill ???.Powerful Attack -> State(Charged).

This way, before the boss activates his powerful attack, the player will be notified.

I hope this helps.

(smoga membantu, sori kalo ga nyambung wakakak)

3. Raythalos

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Holy crap, that actually was pretty clever!

Thanks for the help! This actually works well with the Follow-Up Skill script to get the "two simultaneous special attacks per turn" effect that I wanted, but it still can't let me put dialogue boxes before the skill activates, so it's not completely solved.

Hopefully this doesn't cause any more "stack too deep" errors.

But still, once again, thanks! Really appreciated.

4. RibbonP

RibbonP New Member Member

First Language:
    Osage
    Actually, I've a solution for that, too! xD

So open Database -> Go to Troops page, select the Boss.

Add a new event, and make it using switches etc so that it only activates BEFORE the boss uses the skill.

Hope this helps!

5. Raythalos

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Ah, nice. That actually works. The only issue with it is to activate the switch upon skill activation but with another script that's easily done.

Thanks for all the help! I think it's considered solved now.