An array of chat rooms

RyokuHasu

Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There are over 1000 users and guests at any given time would you consider for more short-term and interactive conversations getting a few dedicated chat rooms for different general topics? Many forums have a single shout box, however that might be to crazy with 1K+ people, so why not have chat rooms for different discussions? I think it would be nice to see a more fluid form of communication between members in mass.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Chat rooms generally go badly. We had one in the very early days and it was abused. It's VERY unlikely there will ever be another.

RyokuHasu

Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Chat rooms can be fitted with any number of anti-abuse features.

-Minimum time span between posts is a common one for large communities.

-Report button next to every message that when clicked attaches a log of the recent chat along with the reporter, not so popular in large communities.

-Chat moderators that specifically assist in policing the chat rooms but would have no other site authority, popular almost anywhere.

it couldn't hurt (too much) to try it again. worst case scenario a few people get banned for inaproprate things in the chat (links to inaproprate things, adverts, etc.) and the chat room is locked away again

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
-Chat moderators that specifically assist in policing the chat rooms
That is the problem - this is a company site, not a fansite, and that means the chat moderators have to be very reliable and very fast or Degica could be sued due to chat abuse.
That would mean that they would have to pay someone for it to get that reliability - the forum moderators are volunteers and aren't paid, but that is only possible because the forum is slower than a chat.

Besides - the chat wouldn't help most people. There are reasons why the forum rules have a 72 hour delay on bumping (because there aren't many people who can help and they need time to create requested resources or solutions) and we still get people requesting help again after several minutes (sometimes even demanding an answer). Giving thos people a chat will only create the abuse Shaz talked about...

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you want to say something un-RPG related go to the off-topic forum it's kind of made for that stuff.

RyokuHasu

Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Degica could be sued due to chat abuse.
Well when you put it that way, fine, I take my idea off the table. God forbid stupid people sue for more stupid things rivaling the guy who sued cause his coffee is too hot. But sad part is, stupid people win stupid lawsuits. so ya, I withdraw the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

amerk

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Get yourself a group and use Skype.

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
If you don't mind an unofficial channel quite a few members from this site use the #rpgmaker IRC channel at irc.synirc.net

Do note that it is not associated with this site.

*hugs*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

my profile has gotten so inaccurate.
I wrote this years ago, only now I posted an english version. How about we talk about procrastination?
I just noticed the minigame challenge. Now considering...
My project just started lagging during battletest and I haven't been able to figure out why...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cadenm1223