Aslanemperor

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Purpose: I'm beginning this thread with this purpose as an explanation since couldn't think of a better way to describe it within the title. My current main project is a game that I hope will be very different. I'd like to create a game that gives the feel of a pen and paper roleplay game, with more than just your standard "Find the bad guys and kill them" vibe that even some of the best RPGs out there give off. It will be story heavy and, while combat will be an option to solve some problems, there will be many situations where combat will not be the ideal solution (and sometimes might be the absolute worst thing you could do.) This thread is going to list out the many features I'd like to include in the game, and my hope is that people might have suggestions to give on how best to implement those features. Plugins and scripts are fine as solutions, but I've been told that if I need more information than "You could use this plugin" to implement it, I'll need to create another thread and continue that line of conversation there.

In the event I run across something that is a solution, I'll edit this post and the selection with something along the lines of "Solution: <Insert solution here>" If you see a solution listed and think that there's a better way, please do suggest it. I've had this happen before (still fresh in my mind is the solution to a problem in another project that Shaz suggested that ended up making the original solution which would have taken hours to finish only take me about 5 minutes.)

PLEASE UNDERSTAND that I know nothing about programing, and there's still a lot about the system I'm still learning. One thing that working on projects has taught me is just how little I really know about VX Ace.

Special Considerations: When making a suggestion, I ask that you keep the following in mind:

1. While this first game is not going to be commercial, the system developed from this combination of features will be used to develop other, similar games in the future. If the solution isn't something which can be used on a commercial game, it won't be something I can use for this.

2. Time and knowledge are an issue for me. Sometimes it may seem as though I'm playing dumb. I'm not. I'm a good writer, but I simply don't have the requisite knowledge to understand some of the more technical aspects. I may ask seemingly dumb questions. If I do, I swear I'm not being sarcastic. I really do want to know the answer.

3. I understand that for something this ambitious, there may be things I need to pay for, and I may even have to "hire" help (particularly for scripting since that can become rather specific.) That being said, this is not a resource request thread, nor is it in the classifieds area. Please don't make offers for money in the thread. If you do wish to offer your services to make a bit of code you understand, feel free to PM me about it. (Moderators watching, if this isn't okay under the rules, please let me know and I'll remove the last few lines.)

4. I'm poor. The less I have to pay for, the better. I don't know if subsequent games will make money, or if people will even like THIS game. Unless it's literally the ONLY way to solve a problem, I'd rather not deal with programs which will cost more than a few dollars. Aside from this, I'd like to do as much as possible in the actual engine, as opposed to having the help of some outside program.

Ok. I think that's enough introduction! Without further ado, here is the list:

Weather: I honestly didn't know that I needed this until it was suggested in a completely separate discussion. I'd like to have a bit of randomness to it, but be able to program which weather effects I want and which I don't (For instance, no snow in the middle of Georgia in the summer). I'd like for there to be certain other effects to the weather (If it's rainy, maybe lowered visibility makes perception based skills not work as well.
Solution: Moghunter's Weather Program (details still being worked out. I'll try to post exactly what needs to be done in this in case anyone else is wanting any of these features)

Combat: This, sadly, will be a little more vague because I'm still working on the nitty gritty details. I need a way to make combat more varied. There's a certain amount that can be done with truly understanding the calculations side of things, but I want players to think twice about initiating combat. My plan is to completely remove the basic "attack" and "guard" commands from the combat menu. Instead, "attacks" will be made by specific types of skills. Some characters are better at combat than others by design. For instance, one character is an action movie star and is very familiar with the guns he uses on set, so when he goes into combat he can make more accurate shots in a round than the scientist character who technically has a gun, but isn't very good at using it. Beyond this, I want skills that allow characters to simulate taking cover(heightening evasion?) Changing the range of the enemy (perhaps something that allows access to melee attacks in exchange for being more exposed?) I worry, honestly, that combat will require an entire thread (if not more than one) all by itself, because it may be that I need to figure out how to work each special type of attack.
Solution: Not solved yet

Leveling skills: Because this game is about investigation, there will be a variety of skills that don't translate to something that you can pull up in the menu and do. For instance, a character with a high "perception" skill will be able to see things that another character can't. I have a thought that this should be done through variables, but I also need for these variables to be visible to the player when they want to look at them, as the skills will increase as the player progresses through the investigation. As mentioned in the previous point, there will also be active combat skills that are based on the broader skills. So for instance: In combat, the movie star may have a high level in "pistols," which is why he has a skill that gives him a skill that allows him several attacks in a barrage. A martial artist character who has high ninjutsu skill might gain access to several melee attacks and access to the use of special tools. I'd like to keep these two sets of skills separate, but I was thinking that a possible way to pull this off would be if I could figure out how to make the broader out of combat skills be displayed in their own skill list, and having the mana cost beside them be a representation of the variable that they are showing. Is that a thing that can be done?
Solution: not solved yet

Sneaking: I'd like to have a system whereby players can try to sneak by enemies who are watching out for intruders or who are actively seeking them.
Solution: Stealth system by Jet (pending a pm to ask for commercial permission)

Maps: Ok, this one may need a bit of explaining. I would like two types of maps. I'd like one which is effectively a picture of the city, or a large building, from which players can click or make selections from a menu. Preferably, I'd like them to be able to move a curser from one point to another (so for instance, you can press down and go to the next dot down, then press right and go to the dot on the right.) I'd like for whatever point the player is on at the moment with their cursor to show a little text bubble about what it is (When hovering over the courthouse, should say "Atlanta Courthouse" or something like that.)
Solution: Not Solved Yet

Switching perspectives: I'd like for the player to have the choice to switch which character they're working with. Particularly in this, some allies are actually a part of different groups that have their own separate goals, but which are essential to the overall success of the mission. In other words, characters won't always be together, but the skills of certain characters may be needed to accomplish certain goals.
solution: Not solved yet.

Calendar/countdown: The world isn't stopping while the characters do certain activities. Forces are on the move, and maybe what they're trying to do will fail if they wait to long, or something will happen on a certain day. While I'm sure that counting the days can be done with a variable, i'd like to be aable to display the date and have the ability for characters to look at a calendar, or maybe a checklist of tasks they need to do that day.
Solution: Not solved yet.

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I could figure out how to make the broader out of combat skills be displayed in their own skill list
Give these skills a different type (Terms tab) and they should be shown as a separate list. I say "should be" rather than "will be" because this is what I do, but I am using Yanfly's Core Engine and Ace Menu Engine, both of which might affect this. I am fairly sure it can be done in a default only project, but I haven't tested that.

EDIT
be able to program which weather effects I want and which I don't
I've just had a thought on that. Using e.g. Moghunter's weather programe, event set to parallel process
Set variable to random (the range to equal the number of weathers you'd like to play with for that area)
Conditional branch
variable = 1 script call for rain
variable = 2 script call for snow
etc.
Erase event

That particular weather script has a simple script call which removes all weather types which you just use when the player transfers to somewhere where you either don't want weather at all, or a different range of weathers.

Last edited:

Aslanemperor

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Give these skills a different type (Terms tab) and they should be shown as a separate list. I say "should be" rather than "will be" because this is what I do, but I am using Yanfly's Core Engine and Ace Menu Engine, both of which might affect this. I am fairly sure it can be done in a default only project, but I haven't tested that.
Do you mean to add a skill type in the sense of "Magic" "Special" etc? I was kinda thinking of doing that also as far as keeping them separate. As for the displaying the "level" of the skills as the variable associated with them is increased through specific actions, is there a way to make that happen?

EDIT

I've just had a thought on that. Using e.g. Moghunter's weather programe, event set to parallel process
Set variable to random (the range to equal the number of weathers you'd like to play with for that area)
Conditional branch
variable = 1 script call for rain
variable = 2 script call for snow
etc.
Erase event

That particular weather script has a simple script call which removes all weather types which you just use when the player transfers to somewhere where you either don't want weather at all, or a different range of weathers.
I think I saw someone mentioning something about this plugin before. Is this only for looks, or can it help with things like how it would affect skills? I can work with it either way, though, so long as which whether effect shows up can be detected by common events as a variable (which it seems like it should if I'm understanding what you're saying). Then all I have to do is set the common event to cause the change in things when whichever weather event is happening.
It'd also be really great if there was something of a way to make the next change in weather fit within a range depending on what the last weather event was like. I may be making this too complicated for now... Sorry!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yes, like "magic" or "special". I have several different types of skill in my current project, one is applicable to 3 characters and shows up in their lists, 2 only apply to two characters and only shows up in their lists, and so on.

I did do one project where the level showed up as a number in their skill list, like this:
1627214645866.png

This requires a script "Physical Skill Growth Script" by Duncan Sommerville. Despite its name it works for magic skills as well, as per the above image. However, it is now so long ago that I used it, I don't remember if I had to do anything else as well to get the levels to show. There is no obvious addition to my script list for amending this one, so perhaps it does it automatically. I did a quick search in the forum for Ace scripts and couldn't find it to give you a link, so you would have to go hunting.

For your second question, you mention a plugin. You can't use Moghunter's plugin which is for MV/MZ, it must be his script. This script only does the weather effect itself. It does not affect skills. Whether or not a common event such as you describe would work, I don't know as I haven't tried it. It might be worth mentioning that if you ask for a plugin on this site, you will almost certainly be directed to MV/MZ solutions. If you continue to use Ace, it will save you a lot of confusion if you only spoke about scripts.

I suppose it is possible to link back to the last weather event, using a probably extremely complex conditional branch and 2 sets of variables. I tried thinking of the logic that you would need, and my mind ended up feeling too tangled to pursue it.

Aslanemperor

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This requires a script "Physical Skill Growth Script" by Duncan Sommerville. Despite its name it works for magic skills as well, as per the above image. However, it is now so long ago that I used it, I don't remember if I had to do anything else as well to get the levels to show. There is no obvious addition to my script list for amending this one, so perhaps it does it automatically. I did a quick search in the forum for Ace scripts and couldn't find it to give you a link, so you would have to go hunting.
Sounds like a plan! If the worst I have to do is spend a bit of time searching, I'll get it done. Worst case scenario, I know it's possible and has been done and may end up having to hire someone to reproduce the effect if it's no longer available.
If you continue to use Ace, it will save you a lot of confusion if you only spoke about scripts.
This is good to know. You know, I like Ace and feel comfortable with it, but I'm starting to see that if nothing else, it might be worth upgrading just so that I can have access to a ton of free resources which have been lost since the newer versions have come out.

I suppose it is possible to link back to the last weather event, using a probably extremely complex conditional branch and 2 sets of variables. I tried thinking of the logic that you would need, and my mind ended up feeling too tangled to pursue it.
I appreciate you trying. At the moment it is just the seed of an idea, and maybe this is a sign that the idea won't bear fruit at all. If push comes to shove, I may just have to give up on the "random" part of this and set up the weather to be a certain way on certain days. It's probably better anyway as it will ensure that gameplay is more consistent.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just want to reiterate, so we're all clear here ... this thread is for the purpose of stating what things you need help with, ONLY to determine where best to post INDIVIDUAL threads for each issue. This should NOT become a general help thread with answers or in-depth discussions for each question, or a place for you to post all questions related to your game.

As soon as you know if a task will need a resource, a script, or events/database stuff, please stop discussing it here, and either work on it on your own, or if you need more help, open a thread for that task only in the appropriate forum.

That is the ONLY reason I said it's okay for you to put multiple things together in the same request, so please respect that.

Aslanemperor

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I just want to reiterate, so we're all clear here ... this thread is for the purpose of stating what things you need help with, ONLY to determine where best to post INDIVIDUAL threads for each issue. This should NOT become a general help thread with answers or in-depth discussions for each question, or a place for you to post all questions related to your game.

As soon as you know if a task will need a resource, a script, or events/database stuff, please stop discussing it here, and either work on it on your own, or if you need more help, open a thread for that task only in the appropriate forum.

That is the ONLY reason I said it's okay for you to put multiple things together in the same request, so please respect that.
Sorry. I'll try to limit the discussion. Not trying to skirt the rules, just naturally asking followup questions.

@Roninator2
The first won't quite work because it still requires them to be in your party to begin with. I guess a better way of describing what I need is to say I want to be able to switch parties, where each party is in a separate place during the game.

As for the second option, that looks perfect for what I want to do. Very little scripting needed and mostly using events to control things. Thanks. It's included in a "Pending" stage because the scripter asks that people request permission before using the script that is included on a commercial game.

EDIT: OMG! it worked! I was worrying there because I couldn't figure out how to "@" you!

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Separate parties - see Tsukihime's Party Manager. I have given you the general page listing all their scripts, rather than the direct link, as you may see other stuff there that would help. If you go with the Party Manager you will have an issue if you want the parties to merge and merge their inventories correctly. I used a small custom script which I can let you have if (and only if) the script on its own doesn't meet your needs.

EDIT
You mentioned lost resources. Have you seen this thread? There is now access to a couple of thousand (if not more) scripts which had been thought to be lost.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just read the English lyrics for Despacito. Ramen aint innocent no more! :kaodes:
Well today was blown away with nothing to show for it. I made a new character to my game who I was going to have a protection mechanic where he protects my main character randomly unless it's a critical, and no matter what, to check if an attack received will be critical, means checking the apply method. This means rewriting the entire method and I refused to do that.
This was originally made for a "castle" challenge, but we just decided to keep it for our actual game :)

1632415929108.png
Would a simple item rarity plugin be useful to someone? Basically, you would set notetag to an item to set its rarity and it would change the text colour of the item.
Stuff that bothers me: When I answer resource requests and the people don't even bother to answer wheather that was what they needed or say thank you in any way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr_Petue