An RPG Maker eZine: "Advanced RPG Maker"

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Amy Pond, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Official website: www.arpgmaker.com

Issue 7 - December 2017
    Special: How to Make an MMORPG
    [​IMG]

PDF Format | PNG Format

Issue 6 - January 2016
    [​IMG]

PDF Format | PNG Format

Issue 5 - Preorder Special
    (Mini Issue)
    [​IMG]

PDF Format | PNG Format

Issue 4 - October 2015
    [​IMG]

PDF Format | PNG Format

Issue 3 - June 2014

Issue 2 - May 2014

[​IMG]

PDF Format | PNG Format

Issue 1 - April 2014

[​IMG]

PDF Format | PNG Format

PNG is a single, long image. PDF is useful for tablets (looks good on Kindle Fire).

Hi guys, I'm trying to gauge interest in starting up an RPG Maker oriented eZine.

About Moi

I've been using RPG Maker for the past ten years. For a few of those I have ran an eZine for HBGames.

Example issue:

[​IMG]
    http://afar.ws/ezines/New/ezineissue15.png
    http://afar.ws/ezines/ezine15.pdf

(Repository: http://www.hbgames.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=202)

Now that it's going strong, I'd like to start a sister "publication", along a similar vein, but based on RPG Maker alone, and as far as possible, cross-site, serving the RM community as a whole.

What is an eZine?

We've probably taken the concept of an eZine and skewed it into something else. Basically it's a faux magazine, hosted on the Internet for download. It comes in two formats: a PDF file, for e-readers and other devices, and a PNG file, which is just a large image, meaning no external programs needed, just an Internet browser.

The HBGames eZine aims to be 15 pages in length; the length of Advanced RPG Maker would depend entirely on how interested people are in it.

Who would be making content for it?

Well, the overall RM community. I'd hope to recruit some people to make articles for it, alongside myself. Anything can be submitted, but depending on how many do so I cannot guarantee everything will be used.

When would it start?

That depends on how interested people are in the idea!

What kind of content would it provide?

Tutorials, reviews, news, interviews, all strictly related to RPG Maker (whereas the original HBGames eZine is a general indie game making publication).

Basically, consider it an overview of everything going on in the RPG Maker world at the time.

What's the point?

Well, there is none. It's just a bit of fun, and it looks nice and pretty. I know a lot of people would see it as silly poncy stuff, but I also know that a lot of people enjoy the HBGames eZine, and I'm constantly having requests for it to be released more regularly.

Do you have any examples of the RPG MAKER issue?

I have some early mockups.

[​IMG] - [​IMG]

Full size: http://i.imgur.com/H3LPOov.png

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    EpicFILE, hp4000, Canini and 27 others like this.
  2. Traveling Bard

Traveling Bard The Bard Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Sounds interesting :) I'd read it, maybe contribute to it once I'm deemed cool enough ;) hope it happens! 

3. seita

seita Donn_M Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'd read that too. I want to spend more time going through the different communities but I just don't have the time. An e-zine would be perfect. Also wouldn't mind contributing from time to time.

4. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you make it, I'll promote it.

Traveling Bard and Amy Pond like this.
  5. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Much doge reference at the end there :D

Sounds interesting. I'd probably be interested.

6. Confederacy

Confederacy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Would definitely read it if it was made.

7. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Thanks for the response :) .

This is definitely going to happen then. I shall work on a first issue, accepting any submissions of course, and then work out a more formal way of handling submissions. Should anyone wish to submit an article you're more than welcome, but I shall for now work with what I have.

There will be advertising space and promotional space for people's games and new projects and such. If I could get RM sites around the net to send me a list of new releases every month it would be helpful, and it could go at the back as a useful list of new games.

I've tried having regular staff before, and it gets too difficult as people get overwhelmed with the obligation and workload; I tend to work on individual submissions instead, so if anybody has an article or anything else to submit, just PM it my way, and if it's suitable it'll go in.

Sennie and EternalShadow like this.
  8. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    Sounds very interesting. I would read it, too.

9. Jason

Jason Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey guys, Jason here from the HBGames forums, just thought I'd pop in here since Amy was nice enough to link the thread... and say I support this!

10. StrawberrySmiles

StrawberrySmiles The Talking Fruit Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm also from HBGames originally, and I'll follow up with Jason and say I support this as well. :D

11. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Sounds nice... Let's promote it... and make it promote our people and games too. :)

12. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Would the ezine prompote new games being made or have community highlights?  It's nice idea if you have the resources availble to regularly set it out like the restaff releases.  Would it be quarterly, monthly?

13. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I do hope Chicken Games is good enough to be featured in that eZine. Punch Bears too...

14. PixelLuchi

PixelLuchi Quiet Pixel Artist Veteran

First Language:
    UK English
    I like the idea. I wouldn't mind contributing either. =)

15. Titanhex

Titanhex Do-It-All Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    If you need content my Ace Academy project could always use the bump and I'd be more than happy to contribute an article about it for your publication.

As well, I do like talking about Eventing, Game Design and Art so I could provide content for you in that regard. I run a live stream on occasion I've been doing the last week where I show people how to create the complex evented systems they want to implement into their game or just teach them the basics of RPG Maker.

16. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    That would be great, yeah. Any events like that, or contests, around the community would be a good thing to report on.

17. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I'll paste my feedback here from RMN :p

I read the ezine15.pdf, I hope you don't mind feedback <:3c

Some of it doesn't look good, in terms of like content and writing. There were grammatical errors here and there, I hope that the latest one will have a proofreader. I might be an ESL person but I can sense if there's something wrong.

And some of the content is pointless. Why did you write this anyway? Sort of thing. The RPG Maker VXAce review one is okay, but the way it's just worded doesn't feel professional as opposed to something you've read in a magazine. There's traces of bias and "forum-esque"/sassing judging by the wording/tone/feel.

The RPG Maker 95 is like, we have something for you, actually nope and I felt like I wasted time reading the ramblings of someone who just happened to hear rm95, checked it out but ...didn't really went to detail what was special or what was the point of checking it out. It didn't cover why it wasn't as successful as Rm2000 and some such. Which is a shame since it could've been a nice article to explain RM's roots.

This will be a bit personal but, that jab against RMVX...was super unnecessary, lol. It's actually the engine that made me not quit RM. Starting from Rm2k/3 to XP made me almost quit the franchise and VX is the only reason I'm still around.

I hope that Advanced RPGMaker wouldn't feel the same.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2014
    Mihel and Amy Pond like this.
  18. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Completely appreciated and understandable.

I was frustrated when attempting to research 95. I could find very little information on it and when I downloaded it, to be faced with the revelation that it will not play on modern computers pretty much ended the article. I felt need to mention it, but didn't have anything else to say in the piece, so was a little tied. Ill agree it's not a good article.

As for VX, I made the mistake of throwing in jokey personal opinion without backing it up with context or explanation. I'm sure people love VX, but on hbgames it never went down well. What I was trying to say is that while (we) didn't like vx, there are many reasons to try vx ace.

As for spelling and grammar, there's only so much proofchecking that can be done, things'll unfortunately always be missed in anything. All I can say is with hopefully more contributors it will be checked more thoroughly.

Archeia likes this.
  19. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    95 was a decent engine. It had a lot of great pieces that keep coming back through each engine since it and some that could stand to come back into even today's engines. Pop-out, movable, re-sizable mapping window? Frick yes! Easy to change stat curves (just plonk a point and drag. Insta-curves with more than just one point of change). Did it have problems? Yes, it did. Did that make it bad? No, it did not.

Here, have some facts:
    - You could right-mouse click any tile and choose what terrain it was set to whilst mapping.
    - You could give starting items to each character. Not armour, items. You could have someone bring 20 potions to your team when they joined, automatically set up on their creation.
    - You could change walk speed without scripts.
    - You could set window to transparent.
    - You could change the Max amount of items up to 2,000,000 if you wanted. Again, no scripts. Just a default part of the engine.
    - You could create an automatic opening event without assigning it to a map.
    - You could create a game-wide custom death event, too, as part of default game. No common events necessary and it would automatically over-write the default Game Over.
    - You could adjust Chip/chara/monster palette in-game. Not just a recolour, but actually import pictures above the 256 colours and adjust their palette to the restrictions, and even have them merged with the palette of another picture. Yeah...

- Oh, and thanks for reminding me, Nessy, but IN-BUILT MOUSE SUPPORT FOR THE WIN

And I do not like at all how you just dissed the 2K/3 RTP. Because that sheep is tight. It is tighter than XP and Ace RTP. I love Ace RTP, but 2k/3 RTP is the tightest of sheep. It uses squares. It breaks the squares. It doesn't look like a rainy, dreary day. It's fricking top notch stuff.

No, the RTP is great. It's puerile mappers that make it look sheep, just like they make Mack look sheep. Just like they make Ace look sheep.

Yeah, you're biased towards Ace and XP, but don't be dissing the older/other makers just because you like scripting and non-pixel graphics. That sheep is wrong and makes your articles come off as juvenile and biased. Try for a little more professionalism and non-bias if you're aiming to inform.

Amy Pond likes this.
  20. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    At no point did I say it was bad, just that it is no longer playable! Thanks for providing more information though, I'd be happy to do some kind of editorial correcting anything bad said in previous issues and whatnot.

I should probably not have used the HB eZine as an example, as it's a completely different audience and much less formal than ARPGM would be, full of in-jokes and bad humour, etc. For one, in HB I write in first person because that's what people asked for in feedback for it, as they liked how it felt personal and communal. In ARPGM however everything would be strictly formal, with no I, we, etc; no bias and quirky attempts at humour.

One of the reasons I want the two publications really. The HB 'zine can go towards being more for our community and more friendly with in-jokes, whereas ARPGM can be serious, with proper attempts at journalism and good reviews.

Out of curiosity - as I've always prided myself on good grammar - is there anything in particular that stands out? Other than being written first person, the odd spelling mistake (sorry), or English spellings of words.

As an avid user of 2k that is certainly NOT why I am biased. The 'zine is on the back of years of "which RPG Maker is best" topics. I should/could have gone into more detail, but felt it was already strongly covered. I should have been less crass and more informative.

Edit:

I hope you find this fitting.

[​IMG]