kako05

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Australian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I've been searching for how to export/import save data from an android device, but I found 0 answers. It's strange.
RPGM MV was made with mobiles in mind, but there's no way how to backup a save data for mobile users? This is a huge problem. People do change phones or want to back up their files. People asking me for this every day and it's kind of strange to answer with "sorry, you can't. You can't back up your save files with RPGM". Any ideas if it's possible to specify game to save into the "android/data" folder etc.?

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

I've moved this thread to RPG Maker Deployment. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you assuming you can't, just because you couldn't find out where they were saved?

I haven't deployed to any mobile device, but a quick look through the scripts and some google-fu seems to indicate they are saved with the web browser data, with the name RPG File1, RPG File2, etc.

So if you can find where the mobile browser saves its data, look for files with those names there.

Seems a bit weird, as the game name is not part of the file name. I wonder if that's something that the browser inserts automatically - otherwise if you had multiple games on your browser, they'd be overwriting each other's save file.

Again, I have no idea, but there's a starting point for you.

kako05

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Australian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This issue is old as RPGM MV itself. There are multiple posts asking this and no answer. I searched throughout my phone data, there's nothing anything resembling RPGM saves data.

The files are hidden or something. User has no access to them. Good job, Degica.
Such a bummer. As the game is monthly updated, I'm losing money because of this. People lose saves and don't bother playing again. It's frustrating, especially when RPGM MV is supposed to be a more mobile-oriented engine and it lacks a basic functionality to backup your savegame. And this doesn't help when you have to compete with other game engines which have sorted out such a simple/basic user function. Sorry if it feels like I'm ranting.

Last edited:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm pretty sure in the very beginning, desktop saves were just done as cookies, but they're not anymore. I'm sure there'll be a way to get to them.

I am not very savvy when it comes to MV on mobile. If you know of a good, EASY tutorial that goes through the deployment steps, point me to it and I'll have a play around. Or send me your game so I can install and I'll have a play around.

Are you using any plugins that affect saving / loading?

Last edited:

kako05

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Australian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My game is big, ~1gb and it's a complete mess. Very complicated.
I ported a basic project for testing purposes here. Most RPGM assets are removed (used galvs "demo" project), enough for starting a game and save/load.

It's a .apk file. download into your phone and run the installer.

Here's a demo how to make android port if you need

The problem is no new files are created on the phone when you make a save. I cleared my phone from all the additional data, used searches, there's just no new data that's why I assume RPGM saves its data somewhere hidden from the user's eyes. Maybe rooting android devices can open additional data for the user I don't know much about android myself. That's not the option I would like to suggest for players anyways.

I'm not sure why would you go out the extra mile looking into this when it's not your concern, but if you manage to find an answer, that'll be a huuuge help to anyone porting their games into android. I'm surprised officially no one addressed this issue since so many complaints are seen throughout itch.io pages with RPGM games and there's no reason why savegames have to be hidden from a player unless it's some kind engine limitation.

And from what I read, using CCleaner erases all rpgm mv savegames.

Screenshot_1.png
I looked through all folders, nothing resembling rpgm savedata are here. I use my phone for messages and calls only, so there weren't many files to look through.
I hope you'll have better luck, you would be a lifesaver for many.

Last edited:

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
An "easy" way to deal with that would be to use cloud saves with google play id to identify the players.

Yeseylon

King Of The Wastes
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TWings And for us noobs, how would a cloud save work in MV?

jkweath

Goes Fast
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The problem is no new files are created on the phone when you make a save. I cleared my phone from all the additional data, used searches, there's just no new data that's why I assume RPGM saves its data somewhere hidden from the user's eyes. Maybe rooting android devices can open additional data for the user I don't know much about android myself. That's not the option I would like to suggest for players anyways.
My understanding is that most all apps are installed to a location on your Android device that is *impossible* to access without rooting it. This isn't Degica's fault, it's just the way Android works. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the case. This includes MV games, which also includes their save files.

I had to do a lot of research on the topic of save files on Android awhile back because an update to a couple of my games caused people to lose their saved games. I never came to any definitive conclusion as I wasn't able to root any of my devices.

I don't know for sure but I think the only solution would be, as @TWings suggested, to have a plugin setup that saves your games both to the device (in case of no internet access) and to a cloud service.

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TWings And for us noobs, how would a cloud save work in MV?
Hence the quotes around easy. I'm just suggesting to look into it rather than getting into some complicated solution on the user end to try and retrieve the local save files. I've never deployed on android and have no clue about the inner workings of google play, but that's pretty much how every smartphone game is working nowdays.
It will maybe require a custom plugin but it's probably the best, user friendly option.

kako05

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Australian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Most games save files are found inside android\data though.

itzel

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
I wonder if that's something that the browser auto clicker inserts automatically - otherwise if you had multiple games on your browser, they'd be overwriting each other's save file.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

What can I sing for my sisters birthday...?

>.<'
Well, I'll have you know that I'm still around, looking for opportunity to resurface with some stuffs.
I like to think of Profile Posts as tiny homes, full of all kinds of unsuspecting suckers "future" friends.... Many of which are of course only going to be excited when a strange man in black suddenly shows up to say hi. :LZSexcite:
Stream will be live shortly with some more Haunting Ground! Today, we encounter a new stalker! Feel free to drop by!
Tried the new Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus today. Very nice device overall, but flagship smartphone prices are getting completely out of control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rallenism