Angels of Death - First RPG Maker Game on Switch?

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by CriticalGames, Apr 12, 2018.

1. CriticalGames

CriticalGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Note: A few months ago, I posted about a game coming to Switch that I believed could have been created in RPG Maker, but it turned out to be made in a different engine. Rather than post a new thread about the same general topic, I thought I'd update this thread instead - given that the nature of this game seems to be confirmed and it's an exciting thing for those of us that use RPG Maker to see this happening!

Well, I might have been wrong when I first posted this thread, but this one seems to be official - Angels of Death, created in RPG Maker, is now coming to Switch! I know it's been pointed out that it's entirely possible for this to happen, but I believe this is the first *actual* instance of a title created in RPG Maker being ported to Nintendo Switch! Congrats to the devs and hope we see more of it!

I'd certainly love to know more about how it came about, but I doubt we'll get that info =)

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/angels-of-death-switch

I apologise if I'm way off the mark, but I saw this game on GoNintendo called Asdivine Hearts. It's published by Kemco, and is available on Mobile, PC, and Mac...but most interestingly PS4 and Switch too.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3068...-of-light-in-the-world-but-on-your-nintendo-s

Out of curiosity, I did some research, and while most references to RPG Maker were just derogatory insults towards the game itself, I found a few mentions that said this developer specifically uses RPG Maker for many of their games (e.g. http://www.rushdownradio.net/2016/10/indie-studio-kecmo-makes-console-debut.html). I also noticed that the Steam page for the game had RPGMaker as a Popular User-Defined Tag. But there's certainly nothing concrete.

So I apologise if this is just a waste of time, but as someone who's extremely interested in bringing his game to Switch, I was wondering if anyone knew for certain if this game was developed with RPG Maker?

I know that Nintendo's Web Framework for porting HTML5 games to the Wii U *technically* made it possible to port RPG Maker MV games to that platform. But as Nintendo haven't ported that Framework to the Switch (well, at least not publicly), it would be very exciting to see an RPG Maker game make the jump.

Thanks in advance! =)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Cuprite likes this.
  2. Jonforum

Jonforum Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    RMMV is a very good basic engine with a good library.
    The insults for these games, comes from the fact that many people without experience in programming launches and make basic fast game to get your money.

If you're good at javascript, it's very easy to use rmmv as the basis for developing a super engine.
    The console port is possible, there are plenty of tutorials on the web.
    Provided that the console supports the webGL technology and HTML5 API.

Do not expect permission from nintendo Sony or Microsoft to carry sheep on their console market, they have a reputation to keep.
    You must first pay a license and go through their evaluation criteria, as is the case for all games for console.
    PC games and andoid, osx are much more open than the game world for consoles.

3. CriticalGames

First Language:
    English
    @Jonforum - Don't worry, I know what RPG Maker MV is, why those insults are made, and how the process of getting a game onto console works =)

As to your point in regards to porting a game via Javascript to console and that there are "plenty of tutorials" - on a very basic, general level, I'm sure you're right. But the reason I posted about this is because, to the best of my knowledge (and maybe I missed something), there has not been an RPG Maker game released on the current generation of consoles. You're very right that the HTML5 API and WebGL aspects of RPG Maker MV should make it theoretically possible; it's just not something that I've seen made a practical reality yet. And also, I don't think anyone's "officially" sure if the Switch does support HTML5 or not.

How to get your game onto console has been asked many times, on many forums, and is usually responded to with the equally general "it's impossible" or "it's possible, but complicated, and no one's done it". So I'm just curious as to whether someone has actually done it now.

4. Roninator2

Roninator2 Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have that game in my steam library. Looking at the files after installation, it was made from unity.

hearts.PNG

5. Jonforum

Jonforum Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    look at 9:00 with visual studio

CriticalGames likes this.
  6. TWings

TWings The Dragon Whisperer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Proving wrong to all the trolls, that just throw the "RPG maker made insult" without any knowledge. When you can read reviews like "This isn't even a good RPG Maker game.", gotta love the irony of it.
    I admit it has some RPG make feels, and could have probably made with it. But that would have been quite some work judging from the screenshots. I would seriously love to see all those haters just try to make anything that good with RPG maker since it's so "easy".

7. CriticalGames

First Language:
    English
    @Roninator2 - Well, that answers that! Thanks for the info and clarification =) And it certainly shows just how much misinformation people casually throw around.

@TWings - Absolutely! A game is a game; the abilities of the people developing it are much more important than the engine it's made with. I figured most of the derogatory responses were more ignorance than anything but, while there were certainly some elements that went far beyond stock RPG Maker, I noticed enough similarities in the trailer that I thought it could have been based in MV.

@Jonforum - Thanks for the video! That's pretty interesting =D I'd looked into Xbox Web Apps as a possibility once, but I don't think there'd be nearly as much of a market on Xbox as there is on other platforms for my work. Although I find it surprising that no one seems to have ported to Xbox if it's quite this simple, though (I'm sure there's a bit more to it than meets the eye haha).

Anyway, I was just curious. Thank you very much to everyone for the responses!

QuesadasSwan and Jonforum like this.
  8. CriticalGames

First Language:
    English
    Well, I might have been wrong the first time, but this one seems to be official - Angels of Death, created in RPG Maker, is now coming to Switch! I know it's been pointed out that it's entirely possible for this to happen, but I believe this is the first *actual* instance of a title created in RPG Maker being ported to Nintendo Switch! Congrats to the devs and hope we see more of it!

I'd certainly love to know more about how it came about, but I doubt we'll get that info =)

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/angels-of-death-switch

Cuprite likes this.
  9. rue669

rue669 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It would be very interested to see what went into the programming to get the game onto the Switch. It's definitely a dream of mine to be able to put my game on Switch one day. I think it's very possible but the cost of programming to ensure it plays on consoles would be high. Not to mention going through the licensing department. But it can be done.

I'm wondering though--if you use resources purchased at RPGMakerweb, would that be a breach of the terms of use? Haven't dived too deeply into that, but would be curious to know if anyone does know.

Saw the game pop up on my switch today. Will very likely get it (I mean, I get everything on my switch ;) )

Cuprite and CriticalGames like this.
  10. Knayter

Knayter *teleport behind you* Nothing personal kid Veteran

First Language:
    Viet Nam
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I still don't understand this whole port thing: did the developer switch to unity in order to port the game on switch? Did they also update the steam version of this game to the unity engine version? Isn't some tileset in this game can only be used in RPG Maker?

Cuprite likes this.
  11. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is very interesting! I hope we get more info :D

12. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Angels of Death is an RPG Maker VXA game that won an award in a KADOKAWA sponsored indie game event. It has permission. Also, porting RPG Maker (especially MV) games to other consoles is easier than you think. JSON is a very flexible format.

SJWebster, Knayter, taarna23 and 3 others like this.
  13. rue669

rue669 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I suppose if you have a very well received commercially successful RPG Maker game, KADOKAWA would be more inclined to give you permission to port your game to other consoles. It only makes good business sense for them, too.

14. CriticalGames

First Language:
    English
    Interesting! Thanks for the info Archeia. I've always understood it to be possible because of JSON; just haven't seen any practical examples (and being more on the Design side of things myself, I lack a practical understanding of the programming side of things). If it's as you say, though, I'll have a lot to try and figure out later this year haha.

15. ACECORP

ACECORP Founder & Entrepreneur Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is good information. Awesome stuff. :) Glad to see this has actually happened with an RMMV game.

16. JayA

JayA Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wish there was more concrete information around this type of porting, and if it's even possible in RMMV, or if it requires a rewrite in a different engine.

17. rue669

rue669 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm pretty sure it requires a rewrite in a different engine.

18. JayA

JayA Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thought as much - but surely that means it's a completely new game. Couldn't possibly feel the same.

19. CriticalGames

First Language:
    English
    I imagine that in the same way that a game is ported from one console's architecture to another, you'd be porting your game into a different engine's infrastructure. So it'd be the same game (and a lot of the same code, I'd imagine); it'd just take a lot of work to do.

However, from what I know, I don't think that you'd need to rewrite it in a different engine. It would depend on the requirements of the Switch SDK, of course, but as @Jonforum said above: "provided that the console supports the webGL technology and HTML5 API" a console port of an RMMV game is possible. So it could be more direct than you think (at least, not requiring a completely separate engine conversion).

As you said, though, @JayA, I do wish there was some more concrete info on all of this in the context of RMMV - even on a general level (I'm pretty sure developer non-disclosure agreements would prevent you from talking openly about Nintendo's specific process or requirements).

20. metronome

metronome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (Sure!)
    Whoa....the game is apparently so popular that they have decided to make an anime version of this game:

http://satsuriku.com/

Cuprite and CriticalGames like this.