Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Animals Of Bering

SYNOPSIS/OVERVIEW
Animals of Bering is a 2D fantasy role playing game for PC with cartoon anthropomorphic characters where our two heroes, Fylek the sea otter and Casida the Siberian husky, must triumph and overcome the tyranny reining over the arctic themed kingdom known as Bering.

Traverse the lands of the Bering Kingdom inhabited by animals to stop the tyrant leading Prince Belachim for he has slain many citizens for exotic animal parts including Casida’s own kin, while also finding a cure for Fylek’s sick mother before she perishes in this classical top-down 2D Role Playing Game (RPG)!

• Play as Fylek the Sea Otter and Casida the Siberian Husky simultaneously!
  • Explore areas from the smallest villages to the mightiest dungeons!
  • Meet a variety of subarctic animals across the kingdom as either friend or foe!
  • Recruit additional allies for your journey!
  • Battle with simple, but in-depth combat!
  • Find resources to craft a variety of your own equipment!
  • Spend Skill Points earned on level up to unlock unique techniques and magic!
  • Customize Fylek’s and Casida’s stat curves to play the way you want to play!

Currently not all listed features are accessible in the provided demo.

Aside from the sales-pitch like features above, the following features also exist that might be a little more interesting from a RMMV perspective.

• Equipment displays and updates on playable characters as you add/remove
  • Seamless transition between areas on the world map (think Pokemon)
  • Easily switch the window size from the options menu
  • Sort items by time (new/old), alphabetically (A-Z/Z-A), or value (cheapest/expensive)
  • Localization support exists for both English/German, although the latter is more proof of concept so expect "All your base are belong to us" quality in a lot of it. This is toggled via options. If your browser locale is set to German, it should automatically start that way if no config file exists to override it.

Game playable with keyboard, mouse, or controller.

Other random trivia: Major character names throughout the plot are anagrams of actual people in my circle. This is because I am terrible at coming up with names, but also provides a fun easter egg.

BACKSTORY/WORLD SETTING
Backstory
In a very cold and tundra area of the world was a kingdom full of many animals living together in peace and harmony. This kingdom was known as the Bering Kingdom and was ruled by King Bering, who was a kind and fair ruler, and also a walrus. The civilians of the kingdom loved him and King Bering did his best to keep them happy, such as having a low resource tax and allowing his civilians to keep most of what they have. Then one day, the king passed away and his son Prince Belachim Bering was next in line transitioning to be king. Unlike his father, he however, is a greedy and tyrant ruler and demands far more resources so that the Royal Guard and Royal Family can be high in riches and prosperity. Those who cannot pay appropriately had to pay with their lives and parts of their corpses, as Belachim was a fond collector of unique animal parts.

One city attacked by his Royal Guard was full of huskies and wolverines, and while the wolverines were ignored, most of the huskies were killed with their fangs taken as a trophy prize. Casida, one of the last few huskies left, decides to seek vengeance.

Elsewhere in a village populated by otters, Fylek’s mother has had a deadly sickness bestow upon her shortly after Belachim’s rise in power. While unknown of the cause, Fylek seeks to find a cure.

World Setting
The Bering Kingdom is based upon eastern Alaska and western Siberia with the Bering Sea in the center of it all. Animals commonly found around that general area are featured.

Within the Bering Kingdom inhabitants are two groups: Civilized and Feral.

Civilized inhabitants are those who live in cities, towns, and villages across the map. They have evolved over hundreds of years into more sophisticated and social beings and work together in co-existence from their feral counterparts. In fact laws have been set in place where attacking any civilized being is a highly punishable crime as cities, towns, and villages are deemed as safe havens. To enforce this, at least one Royal Guard of the Bering Kingdom is posted in each city, town, or village to keep watch for any potential attacks. Nobody would dare challenge a Royal Guard as they are very strong, but also well respected.

Civilized inhabitants while usually non-violent, possess more combat prowess than their feral counterparts due to years of evolution and research on combat mastery. This allowed them to craft various weapons, armors, and other tools to aid them. Spread across the maps are various races among the inhabitants who generally specialize in specific skills as well.

Contrast to that are feral inhabitants who make up the wilderness of the kingdom. These beings are more aggressive and attack anything they spot. Usually they stay away from commonly traversed paths by civilized beings, however when night falls, they will be more likely to even roam those paths as well. Feral inhabitants are possessed by dark magic when night falls which makes them stronger than they normally are. This dark magic isn't understood well yet, therefore it is generally advised that civilized beings don't travel at night.

It is also not too uncommon to hunt feral inhabitants for food, clothing, and various exotic animal pieces. It is not even unheard of for the same civilized race to attack and hunt their feral counterpart, though as stated before attacking any civilized inhabitant for any reason is forbidden and punishable by law.

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS
I originally was going to have all custom art that I drew myself, but I got a lot of backlash from my own circle for the quality so I decided to roll with mostly RTP (with some edits I made) which was much better received. The characters/equipment are still my placeholder art and I will eventually commission someone to do it. All custom art would have been well beyond my budget unfortunately. We developers have to meet in the middle somewhere!

Fylek and Casida on Niffup Mountain

niffup_mountain1_improved.png

Around Niffup Mountain again, but this time traveling in the water.

niffup_mountain2_improved.png

A random encounter, although don’t worry they will be avoidable on the world map.

random_encounter1_improved.png

Fylek and Casida by a forest. They seem to be a bit more geared up though.

equips_on_improved.png

Random encounter again, this time with more gear equipped and different weapons. Anything you equip will visibly show on our protagonists.

random_encounter2_improved.png

Casida at the start of the game trapped in a jail cell in Hellhole Prison Tower. Who is the guy she is talking to?

hellhole_dialogue_improved.png

Menu displaying Casida’s stats. Those letters by each stat, could they possibly change later on? One thing for certain is they do direct how quickly the stats grow as our protagonists get stronger.

stats_menu_improved.png

Casida fighting some guards alongside someone mysterious.

hellhole_guards_improved.png

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
The following is recommended:

OS: Windows 10 (7 or 8.1 should be fine though), MacOS 10.14 (Mojave)+, Ubuntu 18.04+ (other distros should work fine)
CPU: 1.4 GHZ Dual Core Intel or AMD or better
RAM: 2 GB or better recommended
GFX: Support for DirectX 9 or OpenGL 4.1 or newer (any GPU from 2013 should be in the clear, some older should still work)
Minimum Resolution: 1280×720
HD Space: About 200 MB

Low end wise, I ran this on my 2014 Macbook Air and got 60 FPS majority of the time. I also ran this on my desktop which dual boots Windows 10 and Manjaro Linux without issues as well.

DOWNLOAD LINKS
This game is playable on Windows, MacOS, and Linux. MacOS users may need to Ctrl+Click or modify Gatekeeper settings for it to open properly.

Alternatively, you can download from itch.io if you prefer.

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there are some intresting stuff in your screenshots,
might not my game, but I test it out and look at the system of the menu.
which is nicely done.

I might give feedback, maybe not, depends if I play longer than 30min.

EDIT:
I play the game, not exacly sure how Enemy Scan works, but this are my
thoughts about the game:

there might be 1 typo in the beginning where you are in the prison, missing a comma,
cannot exacly say when, but you will notice it probably.

Graphics is a bit weird, not my style, story on the otherhand, is nice, and the demo
have a nice ending to make it "want to know more what will happen".

I dont encounter many bugs, but there are some improvements.
plants are blocked, so you need to walk around (each have their reasons for this).
walking in water is nice, but better in a swimming sprite when in the water.

for the rest, nicely done.

Not to easy, not to hard, but if you pay attention and use potions on the boss,
you can manage it really well.

I cannot say if I do the next update, but keep up the good work,
for me (for now), the story is really start, so keep it up :)

Last edited:

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the feedback and taking some time to play.

I will probably add something that explains Enemy Scan a bit more in depth as right now it can be a little cryptic. Thanks for pointing that out!

Graphics, I do plan to eventually get characters and equips commissioned to match the RTP style (no idea when though!).

Plants are blocked because if you place them near cliff edges you can walk off the edge and I didn't think it looked natural not having plants by the edge. If enough people complain about the plants, I will think of an alternative.

Due to the nature of the visual equips plugin I am using, I may have technical hurdles trying to juggle between walk/swim as well as increasing my commissioned sprite needs by a lot. Perhaps I can turn the bottom half opacity to 0 to give the illusion better? Maybe that would help?

If you (or anyone else reading) has a project that needs feedback as well, I am fine with giving some as a thank you for playing and taking the time give me feedback.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if only the otter can go into water, and no using a "boat", you can make the otter
turn into a water head or something, but thats totally up to you.

you can finish the game and polish later everything else.
I might be critic on views, but just remember, it's YOUR game, so your choice.

dont polish instantly in the start, do it later, but make a "TODO List",
or categorize those "low priority", "regular", "high". things you want done first,
to high, things than can be add later to regular, things that doesn't have to be
there instantly, but can be of any time, to low or something like those.

no rush, take your time.

quality on polish is a nice way, specially when fixing bugs on the way, improve
stuff on that area if you are busy there anyway.

just take your time, and see what feels right to you.

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're fine suggesting. I don't plan on changing everything suggested my way but I am always open to ideas and improvements and I am big on just bouncing ideas around to help flesh things out. Games just naturally evolve over time this way. Again, thanks for your time and feedback.

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Added an itch.io link for those who prefer over direct dropbox download links.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

For a long time I always consider XP soundtracks as the best one.
Just listened to some of MZ tracks from the free version.
It's... Quite mindblowing. xD
Only listened to the battles, towns, and fields.
But I'm sure the rest are equally good. :D
What do you guys want to see for the new Jump into Javascript? A continuation of the rpg_objects, or would you prefer a "lesson 0" where I go back to the absolute basics of Javascript and cover the fundamentals of the language and its construction?
Hey RPG members!!

How do you finish projects? Some new game developers start off strong but end up losing momentum. What keeps you motivated while working on new projects?
Feeling wee sleepy.. ZzzZ
So many threads to move to the right place. My post count is awesome, but 95% of it is due to moving things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenjum