Animate Command Buttons - v1.1 (17/06/2015)

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Scripts (RMVX Ace)' started by Sixth, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    - Script:

- Demo:
    Well, there is one! o_O
    The demo uses the 1.0 version of the script!
    The demo contains the images shown in the video!
    The images are made by me, and are there for "educational" purposes only. They are not meant to be used in an actual project, but they are good for testing regardless. :p
    Get the demo from the attachment below.

- Video:

The video shows only one configuration! You can design your own animations however you want!
    If you have questions or any comments, please post them here and NOT on youtube! Thanks!

- Author's Notes:
    The "Gems" button points to one of my unreleased script, so hitting the confirm button after selecting an actor will freeze your game! Kindly don't do that! :D
    Remove any buttons which you don't need in the command configurations!
    As mentioned in the script's header, this is just one part of my Menu Engine, which is planned to be fully animated and released in the far future sometimes. I could extract this part easily from it, so that you can use it in your project if you want right now.
    You can have loads of fun just by designing different animations! Careful thou, it is VERY time consuming!

I will be honest, I mostly posted this for potential bug testers, so if you find any bugs, please report them!
    Further feature requests are also welcome!

In case other scripters want to use this to make their own command windows, it is possible to use the new class I created for any command window. I wrote instructions on how to do it in the script's header!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
     Nova, Seriel and Dreadshadow like this.
  2. Yuuta Kirishima

Yuuta Kirishima Software Engineer/Professional Mayonnaise Player Veteran

First Language:
    Engilsh
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Very neat.

3. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This script is somewhat heavy.

It is also though,100% compatible with Effectus 1.2.9a

Effectus makes it smoother and better.

Pros:

• It is fantastic and it seems really neat! :D
    • Very well documented.
    • Terms of Use are generous: Use it in RPG Maker in any prject, just give credit.
    • Compatibility with Effectus "out of the box".

Cons:

• It lags without a strong anti-lag script.
    • User must wait for the list to do the animation, before using the script.
    • Gameplay becomes worse that way. It would be nice to make it possible to select menu item, while te effect takes place (I know that this is hard) . 

Questions:

Can it merge with Luna Engine scripts? 

Is it an alternative to Luna Engine or maybe a potential add on to it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
  4. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks for the comments!

@Dreadshadow

That's weird...

I booted up my old laptop right now just to test the FPS (I know, I should learn how to cap my PC's specs, right? >.>), and it stays on a constant 60 FPS regardless if an animations is playing or not. And my old laptop is a REALLY old one, usually gets max 30-45 FPS on menu scenes, depending on the scene itself. :D

Did you test it in the demo I uploaded? Or in another project?

What kind of PC you have?

Also, Effectus should not affect this script at all, unless it rewrites some methods from the window classes, but as far as I know, it doesn't do that. I might be wrong on this one thou.

As for the waiting time, you don't have to make an entering animation if you don't want to. Just add the same values for the :start and :end settings, and there will be no entering animation at all (but the entering animation still must be set up!). Or you can design quicker animations, like the exiting animation I made, that one takes a very little time only.

The selection becomes available as soon as the entering animation is finished. You don't have to wait for the selection animation to be finished to select the commands, you can do it during the animations as well.

There would be no point in making an entering animation if you plan to skip it all the time, so the only thing I can suggest is to either make short entering animations or don't make it at all. A 1 second animation should not bother any player at all, I think. Many big games have such animations, and people play them like fanatics still. :D

I do not own Luna Engine, so I have no idea if this script works with it or not. You will have to test that yourself.

Can Luna Engine even animate command buttons like this? I should probably look up some menus made with that engine, it is on my to-do list, I just always forget it...

I should probably mention thou, that while this script is free to use at the moment, once (or better to say "if") I release my full Menu Engine, I might consider switching the terms to non-commercial only, since the engine will be fully animated and will give full control to the user. Any projects released before that happens can still use the script freely, even if it is a commercial one. But since it is a very big project of mine, and progresses very slowly, I doubt that it will happen anytime soon. Or maybe I will leave this as free to use for any project, but my full menu engine will be non-commercial only, will think about it later, when it will actually matter.

So, it is not planned to be an addon to Luna Engine, it is part of my own Menu Engine, which happens to work on it's own without my full engine.

If you decide to test it with Luna Engine, feel free to report the results, I am curious about that as well (if you own Luna Engine, that is)!

5. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes I own Luna Engine and I would gladly run a few tests. :)

As for being heavy, don't imagine heavy lag. It just works slow.

Effectus oveerides a lot of stuff in the RGSS3 so it might overrides a class that might affect your script too.

I am not really sure why but it DOES make a difference.

What I did:

Since I stripped my RTP, I added dummy resources in your demo folders, to run your demo.

I then saw a great effect of colorful first menu item letters coming along with the rest. Slowly.

That is fixed a little after I added Effectus.

By the way, can you make it so the user can select an item as it moves?

That would make it perfect.

PS: My PC is probably older than your old laptop. :p

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 3800+ at 2Ghz

2 GB RAM (near 660 Mhz or something RAM speed)

and it runs Windows 7 64 bit.

This makes it a good piece of hardware to test how heavy a VX Ace game is though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
  6. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Your PC makes my old laptop hide in a corner crying eternally...

I have yet to find anyone using a worse PC nowadays than my old laptop. :D

Here are my old laptop's specs:

Intel Pentium M (single core, 1.60 GHz)

1GB RAM

Windows XP SP3

And it still runs this script on full 60 FPS.

The speed of any animation can be changed, so it can be made quicker anytime.

The user can select the items while they move, but only after the entering animation.

I have uploaded a new version which makes it possible to select items even before the entering animation. A new setting named :eselect has been added to the Selection settings which makes it possible to change this behavior.

But the player won't be able to see on what command button he/she is until the entering animation is finished. Changing that would require enormous amount of changes made in the animation logic, and I won't plan to change that part of the script.

7. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It might be then the Intel vs AMD debate, that @Archeia once told me was the case sometimes.

And indeed Intel systems trend to run VX Ace better, to my experience.

8. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I thought this would animate battle commands by the topic title. I didn't know if it was for the menu only.

*Sadly this doesn't work in my highly customized menu.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2015
  9. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This can be used for any command windows, if you know your way in scripting. As I wrote in the script's header, this is more like a scripter's tool right now.

I only made an example for using this in the main menu.