Animated image as event on map

lodger

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Having issues getting an animation to play as an event on the map.

I seem to remember getting this to work in the past, by setting the event to "stepping", so that the animation would loop - but maybe it was simpler because the animation was only 3 frames?

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 12.30.07 PM.png

As you can see, this is a longer animation cycle - 6 frames, and I'd like to get it to loop. Right now it's only flashing the first frame on and off.

What am I doing wrong?

Am I wrong to be setting this up as an event? I'm not familiar with the options in the animation tab.

Thanks in advance for your help.

EDIT:

Okay, I may have solved my own problem - I was able to get it to animate by creating an animation and using the Show Animation event.

So, to refine my question:

What is the different between using the Stepping w/ Image option versus using the Show Animation event? Are there different uses cases?

Second, I seem to have created another problem for myself:

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 12.51.56 PM.png

The animated image is huge (see heart above clock) - is there a way to change the size in the software itself? I have a smaller sprite sheet I tried, but it wasn't tiling properly in the animation window.

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the show animation is based on the animation in our database while stepping (3 frames default)
show the stepping. a single animated (3x4) use a $ in front. in case you want more frames like
the one you want, you can use this plugin created by shaz. so you can have more frames.

like 7 frames long x 4 (UP, LEFT, RIGHT, DOWN) I dont kno the exact order. but the order doesn't
really matter if you use 4x the same with different colors.

stepping is most likely 2, 3, 2, 1, 2 etc

lodger

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you! That plugin seems to be the solution to my problem - I'm just having one small issue still.

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 1.18.13 PM.png

For some reason, my cursor is sized to two rows in the sheet - I can't select just one row. As a result, it animates both rows simultaneously. However, even if I resize the file it doesn't seem to have an impact.

EDIT:

Changing the $ in front of the filename to a ! seemed to make the cursor smaller:

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 1.33.38 PM.png

But it's still not animating properly, it's just flashing.

Can someone explain the difference between $ and ! and what they do?

Basically, the way this sprite sheet is laid out, the top row is hearts (5 across), the next row continues the hearts animation (3 across) but then it switches to another sprite, the ZZZs, which make up 2 across.

So let's say hearts = X and ZZZs = 0, here's what the sprite sheet looks like.

XXXXX
XXX00

Based on the above, if I just want the hearts animation to play, and not the ZZZs, would I name my file like this:

$Hearts [5 3].png

?

Last edited:

Martin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
swe
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Try !$ also just to check :)

If not, you should download or open a standard resource and overlay your png's

lodger

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm an idiot and I forgot to turn on the plugin! [slaps forehead]

So it's cycling through now, though I don't think it's playing the full animation.

I'm still a bit confused about the nomenclature:

!Hearts [5 3].png

Or would it need to be

!Hearts [5 3 0 0].png

?

And that would signal to play 5 across the first row, 3 across the second, and 0 from rows 3 and 4? If there's more than 4 rows do I just add more numbers?

Edit:

No matter what I do it only seems to be playing the first row of the sheet.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
$ is a sign for the engine that the picture is a single sprite. A single sprite always consists of 3x4 cells.
Your picture above has 5 cells horizontal and six or seven cells vertical instead of the required 3x4 cells, so of course it doesn't fit with the sprite selector.

Without the $, the engine expects a spritesheet. A spritesheet contains 4x2 sprites and as a result has 12x8 cells. Again that is not the 5 cells your picture has, so again the selector does not fit the picture.

A sheet formatted for the animation section in the database simply can't be used (and never was usable) as a sprite, it needs to be cut to the correct number of cells with an image program.

The ! has nothing to do with the sprite selector, so @Martin 's suggestion to try that never had a chance of working. ! designates an object sprite instead of a person sprite, and the difference is that person sprites are automatically shifted up to look as if they were walking inside a tile instead of on the frame of a tile - but for objects like doors you need to fit to the frame and disable the shift.

lodger

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for your concise explanation!

So if I understand correctly (and apologies as I'm very new to all this), if I break the sheet down into individual sheets for each effect, I should be good?

Take for example the ZZZs effect. If I take those sprites, lay them out 3x4, that should work?

There are 8 images in the ZZZ animation.

So I would lay them out like so? (X = image, 0 = blank):

XXX
XXX
XX0

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My spirit can be so easily wounded by most things that nobody thinks twice about. It may be not a big deal to you, but it means EVERYTHING to me!
I have to make a custom tree for my FSM game and I'm nervous I won't get it right.
Finally got the tablet picture! :LZSsmile:
Working hard on my Mode7 interiors in between calls at work!
A good idea rise a moment before falling asleep, and survive the second coffee the day next morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Merglu