Animated tiles that's not autotile in XP ???

Discussion in 'RPG Maker XP' started by KaiserDragon, Aug 28, 2019.

1. KaiserDragon

KaiserDragon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Is it possible to have animated tiles in the standard tile-set instead of just auto-tiles? This would be primarily for single/multi tiles for fireplaces, candles, campfires, street lamps... Where some of these would require two or more tiles to make one item. Such as a fireplace that may use four tiles. Two on bottom and two on top where animation would be in all four tiles.

2. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't believe it's possible to have animated tiles outside the Autotiles layer.

However, you're going about stuff like candles, street lamps, etc. the wrong way. Just make them into event models (I think they are called "Characters" in the resource sets), and create an Event on the map where you want the candle/lamppost. Set the Event's "Direction Fix" to ON and "Stepping Animation" to ON, and then they will animate through the 3 frames just like characters (or animated Autotiles) can.

3. KK20

KK20 Just some XP Scripter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    You are allowed to make a single animated tile to replace an entire autotile. Other than that, my Tilemap rewrite could potentially allow this, but using events is the optimal way to go.

4. KaiserDragon

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Thanks for the replies. The only problem I have with the event option is the reduction of animation frames. I seem to have to go from eight frames of animation down to four. Is there a way around this?

5. KK20

KK20 Just some XP Scripter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
  6. KaiserDragon

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Can't seem to get the scripts working. Haven't been able to figure out the custom move route thing either. Will do some more digging. Okay I got the custom move to go through eight frames one time and then it just cycles through the last four. Fireplace-green.png I'm testing with the upper eight tiles. I made the last one green so I can tell what it's doing better. Any suggestions ?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  7. DerVVulfman

DerVVulfman Resident Werewolf Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    *CUE THUNDERCLAP*

Are you asking to expand the number of autotiles beyond the default? *sigh* People do not recall the works of others... as if code from a decade ago doesn't exist:

WHAT you need is the code from SephirothSpawn... His Extra Autotiles system. This does require two other scripts, his reworked Tilemap and his Flash data script. But after that, you can have more autotiles within your project than before...

Now I won't say that this is 100% compatible with 'encrypted' projects. :p Prolly not. If given the time, I may look into a revision since he's been gone for... almost a decade ( -_-).

Attached Files:

8. KaiserDragon

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    No extra autotiles. I'm trying to get the fireplace to go through 8 frames of animation instead of 4. If you can see my picture in the post above I'm tryng to get frames 1 through 8 into a continuous cycle. Frame 8 is green so I can easily tell what the animation is doing. I'm using custom move and it does cycle through the 8 frames one time. After that it only cycles through frames 5 - 8.

9. Sevarihk

Sevarihk Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Instead of making the character sprite change by changing directions and steps, you can also just click on "change graphic" in the custom move route window. This makes you pick which exact frame of the character set you want to be visible. Just pick them in the order you want them and put some "wait x frames" between.
    That's how I handle any animated objects with more than 4 frames.

10. KaiserDragon

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Yeah, I've tried that to except the wait x frames. I read your post and added the wait x frames, now the animation goes way to fast so I don't know what its doing. I took screen shots of the different screens and I hope this will help with what I'm trying to do.
    Fireplace Animation-B.jpg
    The graphic for the event is the first frame of what I'm trying to animate. (Selected in screen 3) Screen two selects the first frame of the second row and is listed in the custom move box. Now, if I leave it like this and try it, all 8 frames will play one time only. After that it just repeats the second row. Now, if I add the first frame of the first row, all it does is animate the first row. I tried with the Repeat action box checked and unchecked and got the exact same results. I also don't understand why I can't see the whole statement in the command box. Please help.

11. callmedan

callmedan Friendly Stranger Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    You should have added all 8 frames into the custom move route, and checked the Repeat Action box. Also uncheck the Stop Animation box as it’s not necessary.

12. KaiserDragon

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Sigh...... Doesn't work either.

All 8 frames in custom route with Repeat action box checked and Stop animation box checked-->It skips to the last frame of animation and stops.
    All 8 frames in custom route with Repeat action box checked and Stop animation box unchecked-->No animation at all. Stays on frame 1.
    All 8 frames in custom route with Repeat action box unchecked and Stop animation box unchecked-->No animation at all. Stays on frame 1.

13. callmedan

callmedan Friendly Stranger Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I just downloaded your sprite above to test it and it worked fine for me.
    Here's how I set up the move route:
    RPGXP_2019-09-15_12-41-42.png RPGXP_2019-09-15_12-41-54.png

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  14. KaiserDragon

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Well now I'm dumbfounded. I actually tried that before via Sevarihk's post and, like I stated in that post, the animation was way to fast. I did as you showed me, and while the animation sped up, I was able to tell what it was doing. It does seem to be working and when I changed wait 4 to wait 7 the animation seems about right. I'm thinking when I tried it the first time I must have somehow had the speed set to either 5 or 6 and didn't notice it. Thank you everybody for all your help.

callmedan likes this.