Animated Water Help?

HaneHaeterun

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have read every tutorial here, and on Pinterest, and have all of the Yanfly plugins. I've also combed through YouTube.

It's left me frustrated and, quite frankly, feeling like I'm too dumb. The videos and tutorials either have spent 80% of the time creating the initial map in RMMV, or have gone Warp 10 through the Photoshop/GiMP parts of the process.

Is there anywhere a step-by-step "hand-holding" tutorial from start to finish? One that doesn't have 9 minutes of making a pretty map and then 30 seconds of "click here, there, there, save, and DONE!" Preferably text-based?

I don't mean to sound whiny, so I apologize if I come off that way. I'm just ridiculously frustrated and seriously considering having static water everywhere...

Thanks in advance!

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

I've moved this thread to MV Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You spent so much of that post ranting that you didn't actually say what you are trying to do. It could be any one of the following (or something else entirely):

Are you trying to make your own animated water tiles and want to know how the autotiles are drawn, and how animation is drawn?

Are you just wanting to map with the water tiles and something isn't working right and you can't figure out how to fix it?

Or are you making a parallax map and want to add animated water and can't get it working?

HaneHaeterun

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I apologize for the rant. I was simply trying to get the water in a river to look like it was flowing. I seem to have somehow failed to notice that I accidentally had been using an A1 that was not put together right (this is why I shouldn't use GiMP and RMMV at 5am).

Please feel free to close this thread out. I'll try my best to post things where they belong from now on.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
so it just wasn't animating? Did you get it working or do you still need help? Even some of the RTP water tiles don't animate.

HaneHaeterun

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Basically, the stock Outside RTP tiles one would use for the effect of a river flowing weren't animating. I had static water, using only the RTP tilesets. I initially thought it was because there was a need for Parallax for *all* forms of tile animation, including for the RTP water (not just waterfalls or custom rivers). I couldn't figure out why I've seen the effect elsewhere with the same RTP Outside tileset.

I also noticed the same issue with non-RTP A1 sheets.

A reinstall fixed the RTP water issue in terms of a river looking like it was flowing. I have zero clue why it needed a reinstall, but it fixed it.

I have subsequently tried a few different A1 tilesheets and the reinstall really did fix it. I do not know why. *shrug*

After going through my bookmarks and opened tabs for event-based waterfalls and mist tutorials was enough to realize that Parallax for this type of water effect (subtly flowing rivers and event-based waterfalls) is over-engineering the issue, which is a bad habit of mine.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Note that you have to put them into the correct slots. Animated water tiles MUST go into the A1 slot. If you put them into the A2 slot they wouldn't animate and it would look like you had several the same. I don't know why reinstalling would fix something like that, as it's nothing to do with the editor, but your project. If you started a new project after reinstalling, then yes, it could be that something was wrong with how your tilesets were set up in the other project.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's weird I actually have MORE work to do when stuck at home than before.
The No Travel Game Jam is here! Jump in to make a game in the month of April that takes place all in one town!

Decided to take a stab at video editing.... Even made a clickbait screen. I'm so proud of my sellout ways. :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flane