Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello

I'm working on a game
and I made a animation for my zombie to do a "Bite" attack animation
and I set the "skill" with the animation and I set the zombie with the skill "bite" animation,
but when I start up a "Battle Test" the zombie uses the bite skill and I hear the sound I made for it but don't see the animation?

Thank you for any help on this matter. :)

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's loading (depending on the size of the animation.) So if you keep using it, it will show up. This is why it's important to preload resources.

N-Game Arts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
it's hard to imagine it's still loading it when it's been about 3 hours now when I've been trying to get it to work, but I'm most likely way wrong on it. :/
it's only 19 frames long... by keep using it you mean just keep doing "battle test" and soon it will just start working.
I made it with all the resources that are in the "RPG Maker MV" I just used StateDeath animations and just make it look it's biting down.

I'm not sure how to go about "preloading my resources"
but you don't worry about it... I'll get a hang of this and all the stuff I need to learn one step at a time.

Thank you for the reply and sorry that my question is something simple and dumb to ask about. -.-;

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is that 3 hours of waiting and then continuing a battle, or 3 hours of testing, going back to the editor, and trying something else?  Every time you close the game, the resources are all unloaded, so every time you go back in again, you have to reload them.

Play, start a battle and let him use the skill once.  Then just wait a bit before continuing battle.  It should really only take a few seconds, but give it 30 just to make sure.  Continue the battle, and if the animation plays, that's what the problem is.

There's one or two preloading plugins available.

Out of interest, can you give a screenshot of the animation tab with the animation selected, after clicking on the Change Target button?  That might have some useful information, if the above is not the problem.

N-Game Arts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Is that 3 hours of waiting and then continuing a battle, or 3 hours of testing, going back to the editor, and trying something else?  Every time you close the game, the resources are all unloaded, so every time you go back in again, you have to reload them.

Play, start a battle and let him use the skill once.  Then just wait a bit before continuing battle.  It should really only take a few seconds, but give it 30 just to make sure.  Continue the battle, and if the animation plays, that's what the problem is.

There's one or two preloading plugins available.

it's 3 hours of testing and going back to editor and trying something else.... sorry I was not specific with it...

I tried as you asked to do. I did a "Battle Test" I let the Zombie do the Bite skill and I can hear it, but no animation
I waited around 10 mins and let the zombie try it again and I still hear it, but still no animation. :(

I'm sorry...I know of preloading plugins, but I do not know how to go on about it.

I'm really sorry to take up peoples time and I didn't think me making a animation be such a problem... sorry...

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I added another question to my post above yours.  Can you please provide that screenshot?

When you hit Play in the animation editor, does it work?

oh ... are you using side view or front view battles?  Animations on your actors will only play if you're using side-view battles.  

N-Game Arts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I added another question to my post above yours.  Can you please provide that screenshot?

When you hit Play in the animation editor, does it work?

oh ... are you using side view or front view battles?  Animations on your actors will only play if you're using side-view battles.  

I can provide here

Yes it works in the animation editor spot.

I'm using front view battles... REALLY?! Animations will only work on actors in side-view battles?... why?... I see no reason why it wouldn't work on front view, I've played many RPGs that could do it, I just assumed RPG Maker MV could do it too... I'm a little sad and disappointed about that. :(

Well damn, sorry to waste your time like that. ^^;

Capture.JPG

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yep, because front view just gives you a hud, not your actor sprites.  And as the animation needs to play over the actor sprite, you need to use side view, so the actor sprite is on the battlefield.

In fact, I don't think the actor faces are even displayed by default on front view, are they?  Isn't it just the actor names, in a list?  You would need a plugin if you have any graphic representation of your actors at all, and then that plugin would need to have battle animations enabled over the hud characters.

Thanks for the screenshot - I realize it was not what I was thinking of.  I was interested in the position/target of the animation, and I see it's set to 'center'.  It's all beside the point now, as we know what's causing it to not be shown.

N-Game Arts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
yep, because front view just gives you a hud, not your actor sprites.  And as the animation needs to play over the actor sprite, you need to use side view, so the actor sprite is on the battlefield.

In fact, I don't think the actor faces are even displayed by default on front view, are they?  Isn't it just the actor names, in a list?  You would need a plugin if you have any graphic representation of your actors at all.

ya, it's just a hud with no actor sprites.... I didn't really want to use side view battles, it takes away the fear effect to my game. :(
but damn I worked real hard on that  animation  to make it look creepy that the zombie is coming in to bite you. :(

I really hope they look into updating to where you can see enemies attack animations on actors in front view...
I wouldn't think be to hard to do, to have enemy and player both have animation time on screen in front view battles.

Well, damn.
sorry and thank you for the help.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could change the position from Center to Screen - that might work?  I'm really not sure if the animation will play at all, if there isn't a sprite for the target of the skill.  But it's worth a shot, and won't take long to test.

N-Game Arts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You could change the position from Center to Screen - that might work?  I'm really not sure if the animation will play at all, if there isn't a sprite for the target of the skill.  But it's worth a shot, and won't take long to test.

I've already tried playing side view battle with no battle sprites
animation will play and attack nothing and affect the HP hub, but where a actor sprite should be there's a little circle shadow... if I can find away to remove it I can get this to work...
ALL I have to do is move the bite animation more to the left right and it will attack on center...

any ideas how to remove little circle shadow where a actor sprite should be.
I'm looking into my self as well...

thank you again and sorry.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
rpg_sprites.js line 697 - comment it out.

It's still creating a sprite for the shadow, but it's not assigning an image to it.

If that gives you an error, uncomment the line, and add a new line underneath it:

this._shadowSprite.opacity = 0;

N-Game Arts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
rpg_sprites.js line 697 - comment it out.

It's still creating a sprite for the shadow, but it's not assigning an image to it.

If that gives you an error, uncomment the line, and add a new line underneath it:

Thankfully I knew a little bit about code and knew what you was telling me to do.
The first step didn't work I got a error code...
but putting in the " this._shadowSprite.opacity = 0; "
under " this._shadowSprite.bitmap = ImageManager.loadSystem('Shadow2'); "
got it to work.

The hardest part was looking for the code
I only have the "Notepad" for code layout.
Clearly your using something else to give you a spot number "697"
I had to hunt my down.

But thank you very much problem has been fixed.
It might be a good idea to have this problem on some helper tip
for anyone else who might be looking into having enemy skill/magic animation in front view battle mode.

THANK YOU again.
I'm sure it was not easy and you got better things to do.
Sorry and thanks. ^^

Capture.JPG

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't used Notepad in a long time - Notepad++ will be similar but have more options (including line numbers).

At the moment, apart from Notepad++, I'm using Atom, which is a free text editor with some niceties for coding.  You should try it out :)

DLHB Studios

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Sprite_Actor.prototype.createShadowSprite = function() {
    this._shadowSprite = new Sprite();
    // this._shadowSprite.bitmap = ImageManager.loadSystem('Shadow2');
    this._shadowSprite.anchor.x = 0.5;
    this._shadowSprite.anchor.y = 0.5;
    this._shadowSprite.y = -2;
    this.addChild(this._shadowSprite);

I tried doing this and it's not working. Is this correct? I think the // is "commenting it out." At least that's what happens when I select single line comment in notepad++.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you try something and it "doesn't work", always explain what DOES happen - do you get an error message?

If you read the posts fully, you will see that I gave a second solution, in case the first one didn't work.

DLHB Studios

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Sorry, there is no error message. Nothing changes whether the line is commented or not, or whether the animation is set to "center" or "screen." It's the same as having the unmodified js file.

There are 2 "animations" in my game that I wanted to be shown, both of which just play a sound effect and flash the screen. This worked fine in VX Ace by the way, but I'm guessing that Javascript is a bit more complicated. That being said, it's not a game breaker, and it just affects these 2 animations (during battle) that appear once each during the entire game. It's probably better that I don't solve this actually.

I do have another quick question though: when in battle with multiple same enemies it shows "Enemy A, Enemy B, Enemy C etc. Which js file do I edit to get rid of the A, B, and C? This was something in VX Ace where I could just edit the script for it. A bit off topic but I don't think I need a whole new topic for it. Again, it's not a game breaker, so no worries.

Thank you.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Please don't use someone else's solved thread to ask your own questions.  At this point you need to start your own thread.  You also didn't actually say why you tried to do this in the first place - maybe start a new thread for your original problem, because it may have nothing at all to do with what this thread is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

LunarFlareStudios wrote on Solar_Flare's profile.
Hey, my name is Lunar Flare Studios, and you're Solar Flare? That's so weird!
How has this place been dead quiet since after I posted about Deltarune? That's the only post that people are reacting to now... will you please read my other statuses?
Another comic with Backstage Malak...
If you want to ask him anything, you can ask on my DeviantArt page! I'm not sure if you're allowed to do it here.
Forum tip of the day ...
If you get a temporary suspension for being a jerk to people who are trying to help you, and arguing with mods and admins, don't go making new accounts. Chances are, if you p**s us off enough to suspend you for a week, we're not going to hesitate giving you a permanent ban when you give us a reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kionea