Animations in MV are buggy? How can I pause the game...

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by SpookyHollows, Jun 25, 2017.

1. SpookyHollows

SpookyHollows Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nearly finished with fixing the first Chapter of my game before I release the next update. The only issue is...the animations.
    Any cutscene I made I finished resizing to work with MV, but it seems only one file type is compatible? Webm?

I tried adding Webm and it works, sort of...
    The movie plays, but the game continues on while its playing? How can I prevent this? I have a cutscene that tries to play before a battle, but the battle starts slightly before it plays. And then the battle runs on in the background while the movie plays, with the boss battle music playing over the sounds and voices from my cutscene.
    I want the animation to play fully before the game continues to play. I want the game to stay paused while the animation is playing. How can I do this?

2. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Put a wait command behind the movie.

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think there is a confusion of terminology which makes your problem less easy to understand.

'Animation' is normally used either to refer to the skill animation that plays during battle, or the sprite movements when using a skill in battle (for SV battlers).

For the sake of clarity - are you referring exclusively to a movie made outside the engine which you import and play using the 'Play Movie' command in the Event Command Menu, or are you trying to show a cut scene which you have evented in the engine? You use both terms to refer to the same thing, but they are not.

We will also need to see a screenshot of the event which triggers this. Please give the whole page, without cropping anything off. If there is more than one page, we will need to see them all. Please use Alt+PrtSc to take just the active window, not the whole of your desktop, as then the event page is too small to see.

4. SpookyHollows

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kes Yes, animation as in a flash animation I made for a cutscene, or a movie I imported into the game. XD I should have explained it better.
    Here's the part of the event where the movie is set to play at. I added in the wait 55 after that to see if it would fix it..it kinda does, but the boss battle music still plays while the cutscene is playing. I can make a video and post the link here if that would help a bit better as well?

Attached Files:

5. SpookyHollows

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Poryg I tried that, didn't work for me :c
    If I put the wait command after the movie, it somewhat works.

6. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That is what I meant. The Play movie is the same as other things, the game doesn't automatically wait for them to be played till the end. So you have to put wait commands after them.

7. SpookyHollows

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Poryg Ohhh, yea I misunderstood at first. XD
    At least it works a bit, but it'd be great if MV gets an update where movies could play without issue.

8. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Doing this means the software would need to recognize the length of the video. So the video needs some preloading and prebuffer before it can even be played, which slows down the process. Combine it with RM's inefficient ram and cpu management and you'll have troubles with memory leaks, since it doesn't have garbage collection (in other words RAM cleaning from not necessary anymore things).

9. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Poryg
    You're wrong, MV has garbage collection (always had) and the last default memory leaks have been removed from the default engine several versions ago.
    If you now have memory leaks, then either your project version has not been updated in a long term (attention: project version is not the same as editor version, and always needs to be updated manually) or you have plugins that have memory leaks.

However, the point about movie data is correct.

Poryg likes this.
  10. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, thanks for clarification :)