staticplacebo

Neon color enthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I’m at Anime Expo right now with some friends (which is hectic in almost every way imaginable), but one thing I noticed besides artist booths is that there were some scattered game devs showing off demos @ booths as well !!

I think it would be fun to run that sort of booth at some point in the future (as a kind of bucket list type thing), but I wonder how they judge who’s “good enough” to table @ the convention… regardless, congrats to those game devs !!

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I actually don't know. I'd love to be in a booth at some point just showing off my games, but I don't imagine an RM dev who gets 30 downloads at most would be high on their list, LOL.

Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I’m at Anime Expo right now with some friends (which is hectic in almost every way imaginable), but one thing I noticed besides artist booths is that there were some scattered game devs showing off demos @ booths as well !!

I think it would be fun to run that sort of booth at some point in the future (as a kind of bucket list type thing), but I wonder how they judge who’s “good enough” to table @ the convention… regardless, congrats to those game devs !!
I actually don't know. I'd love to be in a booth at some point just showing off my games, but I don't imagine an RM dev who gets 30 downloads at most would be high on their list, LOL.

Take it from me, the people running those tables don't have to pass cert or any kind of quality control; you pay your fee for your spot and you're good to go.

Definitely worth it for that kind of hands-on feedback and engagement, reckon!

123edc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
before anyone get's his hopes up maybe the question:
"your fee" please define that :p

TeiRaven

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I've been behind one of those tables! Granted it was not for "my" game--it was a game I was an artist for, no design input. It was at the Smithsonian. It was...surprisingly underwhelming. The amount of feedback we got was basically a polite "that was neat" from anyone who could be bothered to play, and we were one of the busiest tables there.

I've also been behind one of those tables at an anime convention specifically, and you have to be wildly outgoing to get people to even look at you twice, never mind stop to see what you have. If you have that incredibly outgoing personality, it could be a great thing for you! If you're quiet like me, you might need to bring an outgoing friend to help you.

Con space is expensive, especially at the bigger cons (I wouldn't be surprised if an AX booth was in the $500+ range before you factor in any of your expenses, it's one of the largest cons in the country) so think carefully about what your game is and what the con's audience is before you sign up. If it's an anime-heavy con, you'll do better if you have anime-style art. If it's a more general pop culture con, games with less anime-style art will have a better chance.

And I cannot stress this enough: attend the con you want to exhibit at before you work it! They will not tell you things like "the bathrooms are 10 miles away from the dealer's room" on the website!

Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
before anyone get's his hopes up maybe the question:
"your fee" please define that :p

However much the exhibitor/dealer's fee is for the convention in question.

I'm not getting anyone's hopes up, I simply cannot define that because it varies from con to con.

staticplacebo

Neon color enthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've been behind one of those tables! Granted it was not for "my" game--it was a game I was an artist for, no design input. It was at the Smithsonian. It was...surprisingly underwhelming. The amount of feedback we got was basically a polite "that was neat" from anyone who could be bothered to play, and we were one of the busiest tables there.

I've also been behind one of those tables at an anime convention specifically, and you have to be wildly outgoing to get people to even look at you twice, never mind stop to see what you have. If you have that incredibly outgoing personality, it could be a great thing for you! If you're quiet like me, you might need to bring an outgoing friend to help you.

Con space is expensive, especially at the bigger cons (I wouldn't be surprised if an AX booth was in the $500+ range before you factor in any of your expenses, it's one of the largest cons in the country) so think carefully about what your game is and what the con's audience is before you sign up. If it's an anime-heavy con, you'll do better if you have anime-style art. If it's a more general pop culture con, games with less anime-style art will have a better chance.

And I cannot stress this enough: attend the con you want to exhibit at before you work it! They will not tell you things like "the bathrooms are 10 miles away from the dealer's room" on the website!
Ahhh I completely relate !! I helped two of my friends table a couple years back at comic con to sell their books, but most people would just walk by if you didn't reach out + say hi first haha.

That's really cool though! Attending before exhibiting is a really solid piece of advice, figuring out your target market is also important - my friends selling a fantasy book at comic con didn't work out terribly well for them TT__TT

However much the exhibitor/dealer's fee is for the convention in question.

I'm not getting anyone's hopes up, I simply cannot define that because it varies from con to con.
I've heard that some smaller cons like San Japan are more affordable for lesser-known indie creators, so I guess it really is just a matter of how much you're willing to invest into getting a seat!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Title Screen 100% Finished
Evangeline.png
I'm starting to enjoy doing pixel art! Not to mention it's getting easier to do commissions :kaojoy:
I'm having a surprisingly easy time with the wait for Hogwarts Legacy, though I know other gamers are salivating hard.
:awat:What are you two down there doing?
This status is here just to take up space. And to make you read that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kriss_Hietala