Announcing: The RPG Maker MV School Community Project

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV School' started by Touchfuzzy, Sep 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    With our Back to School sale starting, we have decided that now is the perfect time to debut a brand new, long term shared project for our forums!

The RPG Maker MV School!

[​IMG]

So what is the RPG Maker MV School?

This project is a game made with RPG Maker MV about a fictional school ran by yours truly, Touchfuzzy, with his much more useful assistant principal Lunarea.

The school is a nexus of time, space, and dimensions, which means that anything can show up there, it grows as it needs to, and different floors can be themed in entirely different ways, but the main thing that will show up is people from the community!

The pointing of the game is to teach people how to use RPG Maker MV. It teaches people how to event, or how to create battles, or any number of other skills.

But this project isn't going to just be made by me, it will be made by the entire community! Anyone can work on a lesson and if we feel that the quality is high enough, it will get incorporated into the main project.

Things will open up for lessons next week, so get your brains running on what you want to build!

For the structure of the lessons, remember, you get to be the teacher in the game, and you will have your own classroom (or share one with someone doing similar lessons!), and the player is playing a student. Also, stories in your lessons are always a bonus, as it keeps the player engaged!

Don't feel like you can make a lesson? Maybe you don't have the time, or you just feel you need to do some more learning first (that's what we're here for), you can still be part of the fun, and this part is open right NOW!

Currently, our poor school is pretty empty. Touch is all alone for the most part with the Student.

[​IMG]

So we need other students and non-teacher school staff (Secretary, Janitors, etc.).

So, if you would like to be an NPC in the game, we need you to do a little leg work for us. Things we'll need:

1. A Faceset (MV RTP Style)
    2. A Spriteset (MV RTP Style)
    3. A "Default Line" for what you say when the Student talks to you when they aren't in a lesson.
    4. An explanation of your personality for people making lessons.
    5. What would you like your role in the school to be. (Only people who make lessons can be teachers! Don't worry, if you make a lesson later your NPC can get "promoted")
    6. Credits for any parts used in your Sprite/Faceset

People making lessons can always ask you to help them write your lines if they want to have you say something else to incorporate you into their lessons, but you should include a description thorough enough that hopefully they can do it themselves.

So get started planning your lessons. Get your NPC character pieces up, and be prepared when the base project lands next week!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  2. Tea's Jams

Tea's Jams Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nice!!!

Frogboy likes this.
  3. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Can you elaborate a little more on how our lessons should be structured? Should they be general or very specific?

Love the idea!

Philosophus Vagus likes this.
  4. Gallia

Gallia Global Support Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Touchfuzzy ,
    1 question: Can we create a weird/medieval NPC's or is it all normal schoolboy/girl type of characters ?

Patriot likes this.
  5. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Lessons can be broad or specific, but they need to be all doable in the editor. We are not doing anything with plugins (anything beyond installing and configuring plugins is either incredibly hyper specific or have to do with coding itself, which we feel is beyond the scope of the project)

The lessons I'm doing myself are 1. Basic intro to variables, switches, and conditional branches (this is the school "orientation" which people can skip if they want), 2. Using RegionID in events. 3. Creating a basic stealth system, 4. Something that combines everything from 1-3 into one giant "test"

The progression of 4 lessons will have a story, introduced in the orientation and carrying through to the final test. I feel story helps keep it from getting too bland (and also lets me stretch my silly humor.)

On the subject of NPCs: NPCs added have to represent you specifically (it is about filling the project with people from the community), but within that mold, you can use any theming you want to (as long as they are not characters from existing IPs, don't want to deal with that). As stated, the school exists at a nexus point of time/space/dimensions. The story for the lessons I'm writing is actually very scifi for instance. The first floor is the only floor that will necessarily even look like a school. (Other floors might be cave themed, castle themed, etc. The school is kind of like Draculas castle from Castlevania, it just makes what it feels like).

6. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    OwwwO So many lessons.... Teacher Hex is in. XD

Tea's Jams likes this.
  7. Plueschkatze

Plueschkatze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Waah~ that's such a great idea! I see if I can come up with something that would be fitting.

8. Christopher A Dunlap

Christopher A Dunlap Story Time Studio Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Where do we submit all our stuff for the NPC's?

lianderson likes this.
  9. dbchest

dbchest Beast Master Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    curious idea.

so, for those of us who may be interested in teaching a lesson, are we to create our lessons in a new project file and then hand over the project folder upon completion? how will you actually incorporate our lessons into the main project?

10. Mirpono

Mirpono But what do I know? Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oooh this sounds fun. I've got an idea for a cool(...maybe) event that I made, but never used.

11. dragoonwys

dragoonwys Freelance Illustrator Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is cool :kaojoy:I'm still pretty fresh on what newcommer questions since a friend of mine just got MV.
    Though, I second dbchest. Do we start a new project file and send over an encrypted version when event opens?

12. shockra

shockra Slightly Crazy Programmer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm loving this idea! I've already got a few ideas of things I could teach.

13. Varon1999

Varon1999 The Ultimate NaCl Producer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    oooh nicee, maybe I can test my spriting skill, this might be my first time spriting xD
    Edit: Can I be the person who motivates people to not give up instead of a teacher or student? :^)

14. readydotexe

readydotexe Low class wizard Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't own MV but I think is a great idea good luck guys

15. DragonVine

DragonVine May or May Not be Batman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I might get in on this once I see the base project. Really cool idea. Interactive tutorials are a great way to learn.

16. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Touchfuzzy And what about PIXI? That one is not a plugin. It's integrated into the game and plenty of stuff can be done in the editor using the script command. I would love to make a class about PIXI, showing even to lower skilled people that it can be a viable alternative to default things in the editor and even plugins! Nothing overly difficult of course.

17. lianderson

lianderson Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    (I deleted this post due to it being non-RTP)
    Have fun sharing your stuff guys!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  18. Silenity

Silenity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Awesome stuff. I'll work on something after this weekend. :D

19. Christopher A Dunlap

Christopher A Dunlap Story Time Studio Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My partner and I absolutly love this idea, and me personally, would love to take some part in this. The two of us want to know if we can make our NPC characters and have them be the janitors. Is that possible? Or is the position taken??

20. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    That sounds super duper fun! I think I might make some graphics-related tutorials. Maybe drawing tutorials but also how to use bust graphics and control / animate them with common events, using color to your advantage when composing scenes, etc !!

Mirpono likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.