Announcing: The RPG Maker MV School Community Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
My partner and I absolutly love this idea, and me personally, would love to take some part in this. The two of us want to know if we can make our NPC characters and have them be the janitors. Is that possible? Or is the position taken??
Sure, go for it. It's one big school, it probably needs an army of janitors, anyway. :guffaw:

Lyseth

Potato Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
With our Back to School sale starting, we have decided that now is the perfect time to debut a brand new, long term shared project for our forums!

The RPG Maker MV School!

So what is the RPG Maker MV School?

This project is a game made with RPG Maker MV about a fictional school ran by yours truly, Touchfuzzy, with his much more useful assistant principal Lunarea.

The school is a nexus of time, space, and dimensions, which means that anything can show up there, it grows as it needs to, and different floors can be themed in entirely different ways, but the main thing that will show up is people from the community!

The pointing of the game is to teach people how to use RPG Maker MV. It teaches people how to event, or how to create battles, or any number of other skills.

But this project isn't going to just be made by me, it will be made by the entire community! Anyone can work on a lesson and if we feel that the quality is high enough, it will get incorporated into the main project.

Things will open up for lessons next week, so get your brains running on what you want to build!

For the structure of the lessons, remember, you get to be the teacher in the game, and you will have your own classroom (or share one with someone doing similar lessons!), and the player is playing a student. Also, stories in your lessons are always a bonus, as it keeps the player engaged!

Don't feel like you can make a lesson? Maybe you don't have the time, or you just feel you need to do some more learning first (that's what we're here for), you can still be part of the fun, and this part is open right NOW!

Currently, our poor school is pretty empty. Touch is all alone for the most part with the Student.

So we need other students and non-teacher school staff (Secretary, Janitors, etc.).

So, if you would like to be an NPC in the game, we need you to do a little leg work for us. Things we'll need:

1. A Faceset
2. A Spriteset
3. A "Default Line" for what you say when the Student talks to you when they aren't in a lesson.
4. An explanation of your personality for people making lessons.
5. What would you like your role in the school to be. (Only people who make lessons can be teachers! Don't worry, if you make a lesson later your NPC can get "promoted")

People making lessons can always ask you to help them write your lines if they want to have you say something else to incorporate you into their lessons, but you should include a description thorough enough that hopefully they can do it themselves.

So get started planning your lessons. Get your NPC character pieces up, and be prepared when the base project lands next week!
Anyone mind if I show how to change character graphics and/or weapons with common events for this project?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does our chara and face need to be RTP style?
Actually this is something I missed. RTP style please, ESPECIALLY for the sprite. I want the game to have a consistent look, and this is the only way to do it.

Unfortunately this means that the parts supplied by you @lianderson aren't going to work. Sorry!

Also, @everyone: Please remember that until you create a lesson, your character is not a teacher NPC. Janitors and other nonteaching staff (maintenance, secretary) are fine (And thanks to the two that volunteered), but teaching staff NPCs are going to be restricted to ONLY those who complete lessons that get incorporated. (we can always change you later)

Also, the school store is going to be run by a student so if anyone wants their student NPC to be running it, say so. If we get multiple, I might just have it switch out depending on various things (multiple shifts).

dbchest

Beast Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
what is going to be available for purchase within the school's store?

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Um, are we allowed to edit the RTP? 'Cause if not, my character's going to be impossible to make. :/

kyllroi

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think this is a wonderful idea.

I hope some-one decides to teach Java-script.

(^_^)

so no one is gonna make a java-script class; as that would take too much . . . Okay. but, this is still an awesome idea. [idea: a school for teaching RPGMakerMV.] . . . need to find where did I put my "game character hub" . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@kyllroi Welcome to the forums. I merged your posts, as we ask members not to double post (post right after yourself with no other replies).

@DavidFoxfire Please list credits for your character - make sure you've covered everyone you used pieces from.

@Touchfuzzy Can we get that as an addition to the original post - that full credits for the sprite must be listed, in the event that they use community made pieces (or whatever).

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Um, are we allowed to edit the RTP? 'Cause if not, my character's going to be impossible to make. :/
I'm fairly sure you just need to stick to the style, edits and drawing new things on the style are probably fine. For instance, drawing a new character on top of an MV base while sticking close to the original palette.

DavidFoxfire

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@DavidFoxfire Please list credits for your character - make sure you've covered everyone you used pieces from.
Kadokawa for most of the stuff, Avery and Hiddenone for the ears and tail, Sythian Bard for the Beard

Also, if you need additional face sprites or a script on 'my' lessions for you to use, feel free to ask.

RishigangiX

Professional Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sounds cool to me. I'll be busy this month due to shifting and job change, but I'll try to think of something after everything is in place.

PixelHeart

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I dont know if this has been asked already but can we use parts from the store packs on steam for our character?

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
@KaBlooZio
I'm not a mod, but I'm really going to assume no. There's has been controversy with paid resources used in unencrypted projects before, since that would mean giving out the resources for free even if it's a single face/charset combo. I wouldn't risk it.

Personally. I'm would like to know how submissions of our classes will work before the event goes live. I'd imagine it would be messy if tutorials on identical subjects get submitted around the same time. When the event starts, should we be calling dibs on the topics we want to write about or should we trust the mods to chose the best tutorial on each topic?

dragoonwys

Freelance Illustrator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Seacliff
Touchfuzzy said that they will be more information about lessons submission next week when the base project file is available, so we'll just have to wait till then I guess.
From my understanding on the main OP post, Anyone can work on any lesson regardless if someone else is doing it
and if it's good enough they will put it in the main project. So multiple people can write about the same topic but it will be quality checked first, if they are okay, they will be placed into the same classroom together.
"you will have your own classroom (or share one with someone doing similar lessons!)"

Rhino

~Inactive~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This sounds so exciting!! I've been looking forward to being able to take part in a community event :kaojoy:

I want to make a lesson (on the select item command), but I think I might also offer to help people with their npcs! (I suppose that'd mean opening a workshop?) Do they all need full walking sprites, or could there be some with behaviours e.g sitting, cleaning?

I know we're waiting on an announcement with more details, but could we get an idea of some kind of deadline/when you'd expect this project would be finished for? I like to plan in advance so I can make sure I've got enough free time :D

dbchest

Beast Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@hiddenone
That is a super good charaset. Is it custom made for this project?

Gallia

Global Support
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@dbchest Not really, most of the sprite is just some of my generator pieces with a couple of tweaks.
@Gallia School weirdo, huh? In that case I'd expect you to be hidden in odd spots, like in closets or peeking through windows. :guffaw:
@hiddenone , EXACTLY!, there have to be some laughs in it. It should start off normal, but the further ingame the weirder stuff i should do XD
@Touchfuzzy , Make it happen XD hehehe.

Failivrin

Final Frontiersman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't participated in a community project before. Is this an online game that gets continually updated, or is the school a base pack with lessons added as DLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Why you do this? Now I have to buy the new RPG Maker xD
I've always dreaded planning for my games so I just didn't plan at all. That... didn't work out after all. :kaosigh:
Turns out it can be kind of fun if you keep the scope small and don't take it way too seriously.
well... for the first time in months... I feel like my game is headed towards something again. I finally have it where I won't be drawing battle assets for the rest of the year...
What I would give to actually get some feedback on my game...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sayb