Another RPG down, what should I choose next?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Traveling Bard, May 27, 2014.

1. Traveling Bard

Traveling Bard The Bard Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So I've been knocking out classic rpgs in order to learn what to do and what not to do. So far I've taken down Earthbound, Breath of Fire 1, and 7th Saga. I feel like I've learn quite a bit from the experiences, particularly in dungeon design, encounter rates, and how not to have my final boss battle(looking at your BoF 1). 

I have quite a large list of SNES rpgs that I was thinking about tackling and I know that there are many Genesis ones that I should look into as well. From that era of rpgs, what rpg really sticks out to you as something that perhaps inspired you to take up game design or you feel would be a good rpg to learn from? (not going to define rpg since I know that might start a fight lol, but in case you are wondering I'm ok with action rpgs being listed as well)

2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Suikoden?

Ksi likes this.
  3. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    These might be cliche as hell, but I would recommend Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy VI, and depending on what you're using to play these games, Terranigma.

4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I find Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and Lufia 2 to be very inspiring.

5. Traveling Bard

First Language:
    English
    @Archeia, though the Suikoden series is quite good, particularly the second installment imo, it is outside the era that I'm looking to research. The reason I chose the SNES/Genesis era is because the games made during that time closely resemble what rpg maker vx ace is naturally capable of. 

@Uzuki, never did beat Secret of Mana so maybe I'll try that one next. As for the Final Fantasy series, I was probably going to start from the earliest installments on SNES and work my way up to FF6 since I've already beaten it before and I'd like to see the evolution of storyline & gameplay growth across the series. I've heard that they built on the same basic gameplay system just added little quirks here and there which would be interesting to see the evolution of. Terranigma, I've heard good things about but never played. Isn't it part of a series? Illusion of Gaia was it's precursor right?

edit: @Sharm, That's two for Secret of Mana. Guess that's my next game :) I plan on hitting up Chrono Trigger soon as well. I love the combinations between the characters. Really makes you want to find the perfect mesh for your team which is apparently rare in rpgs I've been playing so far....Lufia 2, yeah that and Earthbound were the two games that originally made me want to be a game designer. The epic ending of Lufia 2 made me see that games can have moving stories and I hope that my games will be half as good some day. Lufia 2 is definitely in the queue but I'm looking to play ones I have never played or beat first.

Thank you all for your input! Once I play through this list I'll probably ask again. Btw, anyone ever played/heard of these? If so, what is your brief review of them?

Eternal Filena

Ancient Magic

Arabian Nights

Treasure of Rudra

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
  6. Athryl

Athryl The Reticent Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Super Mario RPG is one that always stood out to me, it felt quite innovative at the time, especially the battle system.  I am not sure how much of it would be applicable to your own game though, has anyone made a combat system similar to it for rpg maker?

One that is on my to play list is Shadowrun, but I think it is considered more of an action RPG.  Also the Phantasy Star series is one I have been eyeing, I read PS2 is pretty tough but good, 3 is kinda meh, and 4 is awesome.

7. Traveling Bard

First Language:
    English
    I've played the first Phantasy Star before and it reminds me a lot like Dragon Warrior 2 but with more towns to visit and dungeons that look like Arcana lol haven't played the others yet but I too have been thinking that I should visit the series as I hear Phantasy Star 4 is supposed to be the bee's knees :)

Super Mario RPG is an amazing game with the timed hits utility for standard attacks, defense, and even the special moves. It's simple yet effective. It's on the list but towards the bottom since i beat it already back in the day :) Hope some day they can bring back Geno & Mallow, but I believe there is some licensing issues there *shrug* the spiritual successors are good n all (paper mario series & mario n luigi series) but a direct sequel would be amazing. Totally would throw money at Nintendo for that. 

8. muramasa

muramasa Abomination of life, or life itself. Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Rudra no Hihou is quite good. It has some interesting systems. And it's from Squaresoft, on its glorious days!

I've seen some screens from Arabian Nights, but I think there is no english translation of it. So... haven't played it. Maybe when I finish working on my japanese.

Live a Live, also from Squaresoft. Check it out if you've got time. It's awesome.

Romancing SaGa 1/2/3 (though probably you'll enjoy the 3rd best, unless you know some japanese xD). From the same vein, check the rest of the SaGa series if you can :D !. Final Fantasy Legend 1/2/3 on GB, SaGa Frontier 1/2 on PS, and there is a RomaSaGa1 remake on PS2 too. There is also Unlimited SaGa, but please, take it with a pinch of salt... some people don't like it.

Bahamut Lagoon. Tactical RPG with dragon allies. From good old Squaresoft.

Phantasy Star 4 is AWESOME. Period. The battle music is fricking awesome too. Actually...

You will be amazed by its awesomeness... GEN music at its best! (I think).

9. Mouser

Mouser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'd love to get my hands on a good copy of Secret of Mana - that was an awesome game.

It's got like a dozen sequels (and a few prequels) none of which live up to that title.

Personally I preferred Lufia to Lufia 2. I know, crazy right? Play them both.

Inindo is a very interesting game, but be sure you get the paper maps with it -

the game is pretty much unplayable without them.

If you can, get your hands on some of the less successful games in the genre so you can see what they did wrong (or at least didn't do right). You've got to be able to see both sides of the coin to get the Big Picture.

10. Traveling Bard

First Language:
    English
    I've been messing around with Ancient Magic and I feel like I'm at about the halfway point in the game. This would be one of those "less successful games in the genre" and the reasons I say that is as follows:

1. Encounter rate second only to breath of fire 1

2. The football field battle system that they have going on makes simple, roll your face over the keyboard to win, fights last annoyingly long. Bosses that use magic are the worst because they are all the way on the other side of the field and you have to spend like 3-4 turns just to get up close enough to hit them.

3. Magic misses a lot and you waste a good amount of mana when you do miss.

4. Items and spells have no descriptions. They made it so that a spell that you cast would be the descriptive text on items instead of having it in the store before you buy them or using select to see the help page with it. Same goes for figuring out what spells actually do except there isn't a spell for that...you have to go to the magic school library and look it up. And it's not in just one location, you have to scour the library to find the right book that might have the spell you are looking to get the description of. (kodos to the translators on this one but the names in the library for spells don't always match what the spell in the menu is which adds to the confusion lol)

5. The game really wanted to have an intense, moving storyline but it comes off forced. Like the main character's cousin who is a knight freaking out whenever the main character is going to go on a long journey somewhere "dangerous" or a monster starts to talk $&%#. I would call him out for overacting if I saw him in a movie or tv show lol 

6. You get to choose a master of magic at a certain point but you can only pick one of three though there are 8 schools of magic. Your choice has no storyline difference which is slightly disappointing and the only thing is that you get free spells as you go from that particular school of magic that they are a master of. 

7. The magic in this game isn't what you would expect....example, you have a summoning school of magic and your first spell is summoning. You would think that that would yield an extra member on the battlefield to fight with you...maybe you can control them maybe not. But no, the summoning spell is actually a non-elemental single target damaging spell. So is Ghoul the second spell...and Tentacle the third spell...and I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that Conjure the fourth spell is as well lol evidently I get a holy summoning spell as the final spell late game for that school but by that time i hear it doesn't really matter. My favorite not what you would expect spell has to be Sun Blast though. Sun Blast, you think is a fire attack or a blinding move...nope. How about a move that changes it from night to morning(because they have a night/day system...i'll get to that)? Nope...the spell itself is actually like a torch for dark caves which so far has only come up once lol 

8. The night and day system. So, I'm usually ok with these kinds of systems as long as there is a purpose to them. In this game, certain events happen at night time which you usually wait in the inn until it's night via an event. The part that bugs me though is that when it is dark outside, ALL cities/kingdoms lock up their gates. So you are made to wander the countryside fighting like 10 more monsters(due to the stupidly high encounter rate) before you can walk into the city. Hope you werent needing to heal or something <.<

Things I like about it:

1. It has a large selection of spells(64) and you get them from scrolls throughout the game. 56 are listed in the library while the other 8 are high level magic that were lost to the ages. You find those too at some point. 

2. I feel like there could have been a lot of master - student potential in this game, which I like the scenario of him sending you on errands but I wish it could lead to something...some storyline purpose other than a quest vendor <.< 

3. I like the unique abilities that several characters have, like the cousin who is a knight has a duel skill that allows him to one hit kill any normal monster with about a 75%-85% chance of success, if he fails he gets dealt a sizeable amount of damage (35%-50%?). It was invaluable in the beginning of the game when most monsters were super powerful and the main character...was not lol

4. The game does hidden doorways and stairs well. I like the dungeon designs...just not the encounter rate. Hard to enjoy a good dungeon when it takes you 20 fights to figure out you went down the deadend path lol

5. It does gold well. What I mean by that is that you always have something to spend your money on. Equipment, items, and new spells. They are expensive enough to keep you using most of your gold all the time but not too expensive to where you have to grind hours and hours to get the latest upgrades. Well done on that note.

I plan on knocking this one out since I'm already so far but after that it's Secret of Mana time :) thanks for all the suggestions 

11. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I love Chrono Trigger, personally.  It shows a LOT of interesting examples of "How to make an interesting boss fight."  The difficulty curve is also nice for this RPG.  I've never felt completely overwhelmed during the game.  Some bosses wiped the floor with me, but when I did a bit (not much) grinding, the bosses were fair.  And there was one plot twist near the end of the game where I was quite stunned.

There are a grand total of 7 characters available (1 of them optional), with a variety of different abilities.

There are also a lot of side quests available which give interesting loot and some even grant permanent boosts to the player characters.  And the game was the first I've ever played to show New Game Plus and what it can do, with multiple endings galore based on when you fight and defeat the Final Boss.  You can choose to encounter the Final Boss literally on the 6th screen in the game, if you so desire, on a New Game Plus run.  So, yeah, you can have the game take 15 minutes to finish...

I'm currently replaying Chrono Trigger, myself, to get ideas for how to make a really good RPG.

Rune Factory 3 (for DS) has a unique take on how to smoothly integrate farming, crafting and an actual RPG component into a single game.

Traveling Bard likes this.
  12. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Breath of Fire II is something I always recommend even if it's a grindfest. It has a great cast and the story gets pretty dark at times. Also, no Woolsey to censor out everything related to religion (considering the game is based around it, that's a pretty big relief). The music isn't bad (in fact, I love the battle and world music a lot - also, Sands of Time) and and while the gameplay is pretty standard for an RPG, the graphics are pretty neat for that era (especially the battle graphics). It's also one of the few games where women aren't seen as a sex object in-game - and in the instances where it is brought up the women shut them down almost instantly. Also, all the women are kick-ass; from Nina to Katt to Daisy to Patty to Clarice to Bleu to Yua to Mina to Suzy (lol) to Nympho to Eichichi and so on. You get the idea. So many great women who aren't just 'Healer #1' or 'Woman in Bakery'. Also? You get to make your own town~

Eternal Filena is a gem. G-E-M. It's one of the few games from that era that had a very different storyline and characters. Hell, there's hints of homosexual love all the way through (and by hints I mean you straight-up marry a woman within the first ten or so minutes... your main character also being a woman~). Oh, and hey, the main character is a badass, non-sexualised woman! You are a gladiator hiding your gender so that you don't get killed and/or reduced to mating stock. The story is decent, even if it isn't very in-depth. The graphics are pretty neat. The only big issue I had was the music. There's not a lot of tunes through-out. That one tune for towns just gets stuck in your head because you hear it all the dayum time. >.<; Apart from that it's a decent game. I rather enjoyed it. ^.^

Terranigma is also a really nice RPG (well, some would say Action Adventure but they can be ignored). The story has a lot of twists, the battles are pretty straight-forward (bar one or two bosses - Bloody Mary for example (oh, pro tip for that fight - use the non-new weapon. It has light elemental damage and she's one of the few bosses where elemental damage counts. A lot of people get caught out on that since it's the only time where a previous weapon is better to use than the newest one.)) The characters are great, the graphics are really nice and the music is pretty good too. And, hey, who doesn't want to build a world from scratch? Or fly around Mode-7 while being carried in a kerchief by a pidgeon? Or train a baby lion to become a bad-ass? Or visit Neo Tokyo and Quintet HQ? Or make a mute girl smile and a penguin dance?

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is pretty neat. It's different from the rest of the FF series in that you only really have one character (and whoever tags along with you) and the story is simple but neat. Overall a rather short game, there's a new take on battles (battle fields) and on-map actions (think LoZ).

Lufia II was actually the first Lufia game I played so I didn't get spoiled for the ending... meaning I cried like a brat. ^.^; It's definitely one of my favourite games - the puzzles and extra content is just amazing for a snes game and some of the tunes are so nice. I also loved the characters to bits, even Tia, and just enjoyed the game a lot. Even managed to defeat that slime in the 100 floor dungeon (my brother and I spent forever on that one summer and still didn't beat it. Pick it up a few years later and bam! Done! I was in shock. XD )

Secret of Evermore needs more love. It's pretty neat and has a lot to offer. The gameplay is a lot like Secret of Mana and it does a lot of interesting things with story and mechanics. A lot of fun, really.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2014
  13. Mouser

Mouser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    How does it compare to the first? I've got them both but haven't started 3 yet. Haven't finished 1 either, come to think of it. I never make it to the winter dungeon in time so end up having to chill for a year... I did manage to marry everyone except that girl you need to give a traded fish for (and the one at the end obviously).

I wish Harvest Moon/Rune Factory would start showing some older women some love. Plenty of good marriage candidates that aren't teenagers in all of those games. Hot Milf in the Fish Shop in Rune Factory being a prime example.

14. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've played all 3 Rune Factory games (except the 3DS one as I don't have or want a 3DS).  Aside from the obvious plot differences, here are the big ones:

* Combat is a lot faster paced

* A much larger variety of skills (there is even a Walking and Sleeping skill which give character boosts)

* The NPCs have actual routines of their own and often run around the town, sometimes carrying objects

* The addition of a large set of Challenge Dungeons in the basement of the house.

* No arbitrary dungeon restrictions --- you can go to any dungeon, but it is a VERY good idea to read the helpful sign which says "You should be Level X or above"  

* A much wider variety of armor and weapons to create

* A much wider set of Magic types, each with its own independent Skill

* Once you use up all of your RP, your HP get taken away VERY quickly

* But, to compensate your max RP goes up.  By endgame, I had over 1500 for Max RP.

* Fairly early in the game you get the ability to Transform and can start to dish out a LOT of damage in unarmed combat if you grind that Skill

* Skills related to Damage and Poison resistance and HP which rise as you are attacked

15. frrrosty

frrrosty Spiteful Crow Member

First Language:
    English
    Though it's more recent, Radiant Historia on DS feels very much like it comes from that era of RPGs, has a cool time travel element, an interesting battle system, and just overall is a lot of fun.  I recommend it.

16. Belmont

Belmont Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    I highly recommend Eternal Eyes from PSX. It's a tactical rpg game that gives you the chance to create all sorts of characters by using different combinations of powered items that grant them life. Depending on which items you use and combine, you can get all kinds of characters for you to control, it's really fun. Almost like a pokemon-fantasy-tactics rpg.

Give it a shot, you won't regret it.

Here's the opening!!! :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB_TXhfpQio

17. magnaangemon01

magnaangemon01 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Rogue Galaxy for the PS2 and Skies of Arcadia for the Gamecube are both awesome games as well.

18. Feldschlacht IV

Feldschlacht IV Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Breath of Fire II, HOWEVER, the vanilla SNES one is sort of really shitty. Play the retranslated version, you're really doing yourself a favor.

19. magnaangemon01

magnaangemon01 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    There's also Sudeki on Steam.

20. Thewindlord

Thewindlord Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Skyrim